Beekeepers holidays?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m with you on that!
We're just heading back from Kefalonia now and had already been discussing building a small pool with a retractable, greenhouse-style roof once we retire. The weightless experience and gentle exercise from a daily dip might allow my ageing joints to keep beekeeping for longer than otherwise. :)

Bravo! - did you need oxygen? Next stop Everest?
I took my then 16 year old to Kilimanjaro for my 50th. It was a wonderful trip and thankfully we were on our own with the crew and took a remote non tourist route. It was hard work but worth it.

How the other half live

We're just heading back from Kefalonia now and had already been discussing building a small pool with a retractable, greenhouse-style roof once we retire. The weightless experience and gentle exercise from a daily dip might allow my ageing joints to keep beekeeping for longer than otherwise. :)
If you want help pm me. Mine is 12 feet by 7 feet and is an " endless original" the flow is variable from really slow to stupidly strong. If you put it inside and insulate the pool and the room it is incredibly cheap to run. If it is inside with no sunlight you can use the minimum of chemicals. I only use a small amount of thin bleach each day. As I say, it costs less than £1 a day to run. Worth every penny and since I got it six years ago never had debilitating back ache again. Swim six days a week all year. Oh and it's heated to 30⁰c . 😄

Blimey, I don't think I could swim for long in 30°C water. It's exhausting. The company that runs our local council pool has recently set a target temperature of 28°C for their pools which is much more comfortable for me. Not great for teaching small children though. They turn blue quite quickly.

James

I took my then 16 year old to Kilimanjaro for my 50th. It was a wonderful trip and thankfully we were on our own with the crew and took a remote non tourist route. It was hard work but worth it.
No supplemental oxygen, bit short of breath though at times!
Everest is too expensive > £60k!
I couldn't have managed either climb age 25 let alone 50 or 60. Beekeeping suits my physique ideally........

Edit: Great Gable age 19 at 899m was the pinnacle of my mountaineering career.

Last edited:
I'm hoping that my ageing wife will allow me to keep bees for a few years more, never mind my ageing joints!!

Mine is in a barn so I can use it all year. It is small so costs less than £1 a day to heat, uses minimal water, but has a flow pump so I can swim for hours in the same spot!
Photo please!!!

Mine is in a barn so I can use it all year. It is small so costs less than £1 a day to heat, uses minimal water, but has a flow pump so I can swim for hours in the same spot!
We bought one as the pandemic hit and the leisure centres closed. We rigged up a metal loop fixed to the house, a bungy rope and harness, allowing me to swim but not go anywhere!!!
It was flipping freezing even though we bought a solar cover which heated the top few inches, under that was very very cold. Had to add chlorine tablets as the bottom started to turn green. Did the job, had it been warmer would have used it regularly, but alas no 👎

Photo please!!!
Not easy as it is in as small a room as possible to maintain heat but this is it with the cover on. Will try and get a better one tomorrow

Attachments

• IMG_20221015_175610_948.jpg
    IMG_20221015_175610_948.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 0
Not easy as it is in as small a room as possible to maintain heat but this is it with the cover on. Will try and get a better one tomorrow
Another option is open water swimming, I started, I think, late last summer/autumn with water temperature about 15C, got used to it & carried on all winter, lowest was 4.5C and only 12 minutes!
Does make you feel good after!
Supposed to have a load of health benefits too.
I'd recommend giving it a go - maybe not starting in February though!

Another option is open water swimming, I started, I think, late last summer/autumn with water temperature about 15C, got used to it & carried on all winter, lowest was 4.5C and only 12 minutes!
Does make you feel good after!
Supposed to have a load of health benefits too.
I'd recommend giving it a go - maybe not starting in February though!
I hate leeches🥶

Latest posts

Back