Beekeepers holidays?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely not for me, leisure centre is my limit in the winter months brrrrrrrrrrr

Not easy as it is in as small a room as possible to maintain heat but this is it with the cover on. Will try and get a better one tomorrow
Oooo I'm intrigued

I hate leeches🥶

Some of the swimmers I coach also swim in the Huntspill (an artificial river that takes water from the Somerset Levels, for those who don't know -- you go over it on the M5 just south of Burnham-on-Sea). I wouldn't. Ecologically it seems ok, but the chemical pollutants don't look at all inviting and the water quality report suggests there's no known technical means for cleaning them up.

James

I am also in Somerset and the main problem is the wind making everywhere except the sheltered areas feel really cold. All these blackberries in flower and the bees feeling it's too cold to get at them. Shame but weekend looking a bit warmer.....

Some of the swimmers I coach also swim in the Huntspill (an artificial river that takes water from the Somerset Levels, for those who don't know -- you go over it on the M5 just south of Burnham-on-Sea). I wouldn't. Ecologically it seems ok, but the chemical pollutants don't look at all inviting and the water quality report suggests there's no known technical means for cleaning them up.

James
And with plans now to use the grand union canal to move sewage from the Midlands to London for dumping (sorry, treatment before dumping) into the Thames, what other watercourses will they sneak some sh!t into?

I am also in Somerset and the main problem is the wind making everywhere except the sheltered areas feel really cold. All these blackberries in flower and the bees feeling it's too cold to get at them. Shame but weekend looking a bit warmer.....
Come and live on the levels, surrounded by the hills, no wind, no rain. Just miles of sterile maize

You don't do wild water swimming in the Thames - you just go through the motions..

Lots of people apparently choose to do just that :) There's a 13km-ish swim from Henley to Marlow taking place next month some time. I'm sure someone I used to coach as a competitive pool swimmer did a 10km swimming event in the Thames a few years back too.

Honestly couldn't say I fancy it myself, especially given the amount of sewage Thames Water has been dumping in rivers over the last few years. Even the rowers are complaining about it.

James

Honestly couldn't say I fancy it myself, especially given the amount of sewage Thames Water has been dumping in rivers over the last few years.
when we worked out of the Thames we used to refer to the offending objects as 'Thames trout'

Ok this was below Teddington where the Thames is tidal but a few years ago now we paddled kayaks from Teddington to the Cutty Sark and back with the tide. On the way back through the poshest part of town, Chelsea? there was a thunderstorm. The sewers emptied. Paddling through sewage, condoms, toilet paper . . . . THE WORST paddling experience. We don't look after this planet well.
I hope this new Thames Tideway project involves some treatment or we're just moving all this cr@p further away.

Back