Hives still very full

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All

Went to take a super off both hives today and the bees were very very aggressive and once the super was off, they were queuing to get in the hive, i had to put an empty super back on to house them, so one hive has two supers on and the other back to its 3, is this normal for this time of year ?

JD

Time of the year is of no real consequence.....down to the weather.
I would add all the supers bar one under the bb. On a cooler day get help to lift the top box's and if the bottom one is empty remove it, do it again until you get back to the bb. If there are still bees in the bottom super then leave it until it is empty of bees!
That is what I would do.......they will be less happy this time of the year, you are threatening their stores and queen every time you open them so they will try and dissuade you!
E

I would add all the supers bar one under the bb. On a cooler day get help to lift the top box's and if the bottom one is empty remove it, do it again until you get back to the bb. If there are still bees in the bottom super then leave it until it is empty of bees!
That is what I would do.......they will be less happy this time of the year, you are threatening their stores and queen every time you open them so they will try and dissuade you!

Yes.

Its a month or two late for removing supers … even if you do like the taste of Ivy.

Latest posts

Back