hedgerow is out with a chain saw

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerow pete

Queen Bee
Reaction score
UK, Birmingham, Sandwell. Pork scratching Bandit c
Hive Type
National
ok people i am off next week to help a friend remove a tree, anapple tree, there might be some wood turnable logs in it, i understand the drying bit,

what do you people use as an end sealer, i have

oil based paint ie gloss avalible, but very little bees wax left, or what else can i use?

it could well be, i was told i was to seal the cut ends asap after cutting and to let the water come out of the sides through the bark, but the stuff i was told to use was some form of wax based water based stuff and its half a million pounds a gallon so a bit out of the price range,

i think i will just chain saw it in to logs and forget the bowl turners offer

Last time I did this I just used primer. Good thick coat and touched up any bits that needed once original coat was dry. Had no cases if splitting, that was on sycamore.

Pete

I use PVA sealer. Cheap but effective. Just coat the end grain and let it dry through the sides. Logs will probably split anyway. If they are big enough you are better to split them along the pith and dry half logs. It is supposed to take one year per inch of thickness to dry fully but if you want to turn them you are probably better off rough turning the wet wood, drying the rough bowl for a year then putting it back on the lathe to turn it true (it will have warped while drying) and finishing it.

Paul

12 years per Hoppus foot for fruitwood

I have my logs cut and kiln dried at local woodyard, works out about £4 per Hoppus foot, but OK for turning after a years seasoning, planks about 1 foot thick... makes nice tables too!

PVA with a bit of woodsoot seems to work for sealing!

Latest posts

Back