Harper Adams BBKA convention

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like the game fair analogy - one year North, next year South.

I went to HA Friday and Saturday, and I look forward to it,I don't moan about it,your not paying just for the trade show,it's also for the talks, workshops etc and I think it's worth every penny.
No mater where in the country it's held it's not going to suit everyone,
HAs has everything that an event like this needs, SPACE,which stoneleigh did not have.has everyone forgot of the cueing for a hour before the opening time and the scrums for the stalls to get the bargains also Stoneleigh didn't have large enough lecture rooms.

Like the game fair analogy - one year North, next year South.
Like the idea. And it's a much larger event. Devon, Norfolk, Yorkshire, Cumbria. All the areas that don't get a look in.

There are risks though. The Game Show is outdoors and even in July it has been cancelled. Outdoors there's a wider choice of venues and a variety of exhibitors set up for touring the county shows over the summer. There are venues that would be suitable, lecture theatres, sales hall, workshop rooms etc. Transport links would be nice. Not cheap though, and you would have to fit among existing regular events. The existing event makes money, and from an association point of view there's a lot at risk starting with a new venue each year.

Any of these events could be held at any Agricultural College, and there are many all over the country.

They have all the facilities that would be needed, lecture theatres, halls, lab facilities, acommodations etc.

moving the event around the country would seem fairer to everyone in the long term.

Heaton park. Handy for the motorway network :D
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I expect the most northerly in England is Newton Rigg near Penrith.

I'll declare an interest - in that I live in Warwickshire, Stoneleigh is a stones throw away.

One event for the whole country - it needs to be in the Midlands so travelling is less than 200 miles from most people - but that is stupid itself.

But - why just 1 event?? I started bkeeping 13 years ago, a much less popular occupation then. Spring conv was good got busier, became unpleasant.
If Stoneleigh could not cope, why not make 2 or more events.

If that means down south and up north, fair do's - the answer was not moving the juggernaut 1/2 way to Wales.

Surely there are emough of us wanting to attend regionalised events, maybe giving some of the aspiring smaller equiptment suppliers a fair crack.

As an example of how a smaller event works - Beetradex was about spot on. I commend an event like that to South East, South West etc

Any of these events could be held at any Agricultural College, and there are many all over the country.

They have all the facilities that would be needed, lecture theatres, halls, lab facilities, acommodations etc.

moving the event around the country would seem fairer to everyone in the long term.

I agree.

Lots if boarding schools could do it too.

This was my first year but not sure 300 miles round trip was worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which lectures did they particularly like ?

Which lectures did they particularly like ?

Two of them attended two workshops, one was john hendrie's husbandry and the first SEMand found both as good as expected, ,

other main good feed back was on Ken B lecture on reading bees, one on bumble bees reintrooduction and how bees learn, a couple of beginners though wanted a less technical lecture expected the usual NBU disease lectures other of our beginners went to at the NHS last october but could not find any NBU people giving them

Must admit, I also enjoyed Ken B's lecture.

Clearly he's a wise and knowledgeable old duffer.

I did like his little rant about internet beekeeping sites.

As far as I recall, he vented spleen at those beekeepers who,
"Know all there is to know about beekeeping after one year;
have written a book about it at the end of their second year;
and invented a new hive at the end of their third!"

I look forward to the book reviews, this time next year!

Dusty

I agree with the guy :) I spotted a book written by a 7 day wonder on the Northern Bee Books stall :D
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Speaking of the northern bee books stall i got a secondhand copy of 'the hive and the honeybee' for £8. I was rather pleased with it and ideal for a catchall reference book.

Really enjoyed the lectures as well, Heidi Hermann's lecture was..erm..well.. 'Interesting'.

Lets just leave it at im not a convert, but it was brave of her to speak at the home of all natural beekeeping sceptics.

M

Really enjoyed the lectures as well, Heidi Hermann's lecture was..erm..well.. 'Interesting'.

M

In part because she had to bring someone along to answer the questions?
Or that her five part message was lost in the rest of it?
A very experienced lecturer labelled it the worst lecture seen for several decades :(. A real shame if you have a message to get across.

I agree totally susbees. Another point bthat I would make was how she claimed that she didnt want to demonise us 'traditional' beeks and then proceeded to attack our practices for at least 15mins of the lecture.

And some of those photos of 'evil beekeepers' showed manipulations that neither I nor our club president has ever seen in an apiary.

It wasnt great especially as made an effort to be as open minded as possible!

M

Latest posts

Back