Shook swarms - all bees, every spring

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alltddu

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Just got BBKA News - in the q&a section, Gareth Morgan says he shook-swarms all his colonies in spring. Who else does this? Some people say they only do it to weak and sick colonies and others only strong ones. What are your views?

Well if it’s in the BBKA NEWS…I’d suggest if it was not so shiny using it as toilet paper…….I’m being polite!!
It’s a waste of bees and resources…… there is nothing it achieves that can’t be easily accomplished in other ways.
It’s beekeeping for the lowest common denominator and for total idiots!

Just got BBKA News - in the q&a section, Gareth Morgan says he shook-swarms all his colonies in spring.
Gareth Morgan is an absolutely clueless buffon who should not be allowed anywhere near bees - let alone write about beekeeping in a magazine
Who else does this?
Nobody in their right minds

Something for me to enjoy later then (my copy also arrived today). Got a blackthorn hedge to finish fighting with first.

James

For the sake …..and only for the sake of our new beekeepers ….shall I leave this in the main forum as a stern warning to all of them but I suspect it might be worthy of the cupboard under the stairs shortly.
yes

Leave it here if they have an issue that they think warrants a shook swarm they can ask for an alternative approach. If they are doing it because it’s the done thing we can advise otherwise in our own unique manner!😂

Last edited:
It's not just shook swarms... "You do not have to put the syrup into the hives. If, near to your house, you have an open feeder i.e. a syrup container with grass or straw floating on top, or an upturned honey bucket with holes drilled in, you may be able to enjoy the sight of foraging bees from time to time." BBKA News Feb 23 edition, page "43" (it starts at pg 38 for some reason).

It's not just shook swarms... "You do not have to put the syrup into the hives. If, near to your house, you have an open feeder i.e. a syrup container with grass or straw floating on top, or an upturned honey bucket with holes drilled in, you may be able to enjoy the sight of foraging bees from time to time." BBKA News Feb 23 edition, page "43" (it starts at pg 38 for some reason).
Yes there’s another thread on this

One only has to go to a LBKA to hear the same tripe regurgitated, esp those ones without a brain to think otherwise.
From some of the so called beeks that are members they hang on every word said and beleive in it as gospel, chapter and verse.

One reason I left and no longer waste my money on the BBKA.

Last edited:
One only has to go to a LBKA to hear the same tripe regurgitated, esp those ones without a brain to think otherwise.
From some of the so called beeks that are members they hang on every word said and beleive in it as gospel, chapter and verse.

One reason I left and am no longer waste my money on the BBKA.
What do you do about insurance? If you are not a member.

Gareth Morgan - sounds kind of Welsh to me. And there I was thinking it was just the English BKA.😜

The entire thing seems bizarre. The reader's question seems to demonstrate some lack of confidence or understanding regarding how brood comb changes might be performed. At no point does it mention completely replacing all the hardware or ditching all the stores and brood that the colony already has. How one gets from that to "It sounds like you are wanting to perform a shook swarm" is beyond me.

It also seems a bit misleading to me having said that a shook swarm should only be performed on strong colonies to reference David Evans' article in the same issue when that piece is specifically about the possibility of using a combination of a combined shook swarm and miticide as a way to rescue a failing colony with very high mite and DWV loads.

James

when that piece is specifically about the possibility of using a combination of a combined shook swarm and miticide as a way to rescue a failing colony with very high mite and DWV loads.
which is the very last instance where you would want to further stress a sick colony by conducting one

Latest posts

Back