Shook swarms - all bees, every spring

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The SBI and myself used a shook swarm, very successfully, to treat a case of EFB last year.
Its the only time I've performed one.

I also read with interest the negative feelings some on this forum have towards their LBA. I must say that I feel lucky in that my small LBA (50 members with about 30 attending meetings) has active senior members who appear to be up to date with modern thinking and teach a sensible approach to beekeeping. eg vape OA, dont use match sticks, dont knock down QCs to prevent swarming etc

I also read with interest the negative feelings some on this forum have towards their LBA. I must say that I feel lucky in that my small LBA (50 members with about 30 attending meetings) has active senior members who appear to be up to date with modern thinking and teach a sensible approach to beekeeping. eg vape OA, dont use match sticks, dont knock down QCs to prevent swarming etc
There are indeed many associations manned and managed by forward thinking members, unfortunately many aren't. It depends how much effort one is prepared into putting things right and whether it is even possible to do so. It's the way of things

I'm struggling to envisage a situation wherein a hobbyist would be prosecuted for using non-Apibioxal OA.
Anyone know of such an event ?

Ive had several visits from the SBI in recent years - my VMD record has never been requested.
Last time my hives were inspected by my SBI she took a honey sample and asked if my VMD records were up to date. ( because it was a question on her form) I suppose that if the sample came back as positive to some illegal substance they would want to inspect them.

I suppose that if the sample came back as positive to some illegal substance they would want to inspect them
it depends what they were looking for in the sample, it varies from year to year, so if it's not on the list, they won't be looking for it, you should have been told at the time of the sample - when I gave a sample in 2021 they were only looking for any heavy metal traces in the honey.

it depends what they were looking for in the sample, it varies from year to year, so if it's not on the list, they won't be looking for it, you should have been told at the time of the sample - when I gave a sample in 2021 they were only looking for any heavy metal traces in the honey.
Better not play music near the hives. 😎

The SBI and myself used a shook swarm, very successfully, to treat a case of EFB last year.
Its the only time I've performed one.

It would be nice to  have an LBA - my nearest is miles away!

It can work for that, (The only situation I'd ever consider it) depending on how badly infected the colony is, and for any chance of it working, the whole apiary needs to be done, However, I have seen feedback from a few bee farmers who even then still get reinfection and have said from now on they are going to go down the destruction route regardless

The Montgomeryshire BKA has an apiary where they shook the whole lot due to efb last autumn.
It'll be interesting to see how many colonies make it through to this season.

The Montgomeryshire BKA has an apiary where they shook the whole lot due to efb last autumn.
It'll be interesting to see how many colonies make it through to this season.
However stupid the practice is as a general tool, shook swarm itself should not result in the demise of the colonies.

I think they had 17 colonies which reduced to 6 by early spring. Better than burning the lot and having none.
A busy year ahead rebuilding the apiary.

I suppose round here they would be looking for Plutonium, which is is as heavy as it gets.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back