Gas Vapourizer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive lopped 8inches off barrel but i think 5 or 6 would work.my phone won't let me upload pics but you'll need a larger heat shield so you dont burn hive or bees..my shield is 8×6 with a solder mat attached to soak up heat.i had some aluminum plates so i shaped one to attach to top of barrel shroud and one underneath then pop rivetted together so there was a square in the centre to slip over barrel shroud.half hour job with snips drill vice and pop rivet gun.it's close to hive with such a short barrel but the heat shield works a treat.far from pretty but working well

Ive lopped 8inches off barrel but i think 5 or 6 would work.my phone won't let me upload pics but you'll need a larger heat shield so you dont burn hive or bees..my shield is 8×6 with a solder mat attached to soak up heat.i had some aluminum plates so i shaped one to attach to top of barrel shroud and one underneath then pop rivetted together so there was a square in the centre to slip over barrel shroud.half hour job with snips drill vice and pop rivet gun.it's close to hive with such a short barrel but the heat shield works a treat.far from pretty but working well

Sorry to pick your brains.
How thick is the aluminium sheet I have some 1mm thick sheet I could use.

Yes, a good idea. I use plastic sheeting for my crown board....so need the eke!
It takes about a minute for the remaining vapour in the top of the eke to descend into the hive. I have a clear perspex cover on my eke so can see what is going on.

Must be very satisfying watching all that vapour condensing inside the hive. I'll have to make do with hoping its coating all surfaces.

Sorry to pick your brains.
How thick is the aluminium sheet I have some 1mm thick sheet I could use.

Probably be ok.its the hive you're protecting.put some fire proof soldering mat on it

Mine arrived today. Im impressed, although it has had only a quick once over as I am removing supers as fast as poss. ( bees working ivy) and extracting.The fan switch protudes a bit? I am baffled by the barrell? is it over designed? what is the piece of channell fixed at an angle underneath for. I removed the barrell completely and maybe try something different, basically it is just a piece of 12mm pipe.

Mine arrived today. Im impressed, although it has had only a quick once over as I am removing supers as fast as poss. ( bees working ivy) and extracting.The fan switch protudes a bit? I am baffled by the barrell? is it over designed? what is the piece of channell fixed at an angle underneath for. I removed the barrell completely and maybe try something different, basically it is just a piece of 12mm pipe.

The channel fixed at an angle is I think intended as a handle although it get hot.
Switch is fragile and me thinks will be the first thing that breaks
The barrel is welded to the OA rervoire- did you break it off?
Let us know what you plan on trying- I'm still holding off with any modifications until I understand what I may be letting myself in for.
Has anyone reported back to the company to let them know it doesn't function in its present form?

It all comes apart.if you look underneath reservoir there's grub screws.i think arm on front was to deflect end of flame onto barrel but barrel is way too long too work

The channel fixed at an angle is I think intended as a handle although it get hot.
Switch is fragile and me thinks will be the first thing that breaks
The barrel is welded to the OA rervoire- did you break it off?
Let us know what you plan on trying- I'm still holding off with any modifications until I understand what I may be letting myself in for.
Has anyone reported back to the company to let them know it doesn't function in its present form?
On mine, the barrel is pushed into the block and held in place by a small allen screw. My idea is to have a inner and outer barrel with a cavity. It should be possible to funnel the heat down the cavity to mantain a temperature enough to prevent condensation.
Rather than dismantle the existing barrel, Iam looking for a piece of 12mm lightweight tube?

On mine, the barrel is pushed into the block and held in place by a small allen screw. My idea is to have a inner and outer barrel with a cavity. It should be possible to funnel the heat down the cavity to mantain a temperature enough to prevent condensation.
Rather than dismantle the existing barrel, Iam looking for a piece of 12mm lightweight tube?

Isn't the square outer casing around the barrel which is open below and connected to that arm intended to channel the heat onto the inner tube? Do you think your inner and outer barrel arrangement will be better?
Just has another look at the promo video and he does keep the blowtorch going for some time before inserting the OA tablet- there appears to be a 'cut' in the video.

Even after heating barrel with separate blowtorch its still condenses.the reason they made it so long was to keep flame away from hive.it would probably have been better if they shortened the barrel and mounted the blowtorch at 90degrees so the flame didn't face the hive

Even after heating barrel with separate blowtorch its still condenses.the reason they made it so long was to keep flame away from hive.it would probably have been better if they shortened the barrel and mounted the blowtorch at 90degrees so the flame didn't face the hive
I took a break from extracting yesterday and had a good look at it. I have removed the tube from the channel, cut 6 inhes off and replaced it ( no channel ), lit up and preheated the tube slightly, dropped in the tablet and it worked perfectly, I did'nt notice any condensation, only the normal ash. there was a stream of vapour for about two minutes. I will put a cowl over the tube extending down over the burner to make a heat trap around the tube, (imagine draping a cloth over the job and trimming to suit) this should eliminate the need to preheat.
I am thinking of a heat protecter ( if necessary) at the hive

Last edited:
I took a break from extracting yesterday and had a good look at it. I have removed the tube from the channel, cut 6 inhes off and replaced it ( no channel ), lit up and preheated the tube slightly, dropped in the tablet and it worked perfectly, I did'nt notice any condensation, only the normal ash. there was a stream of vapour for about two minutes. I will put a cowl over the tube extending down over the burner to make a heat trap around the tube, (imagine draping a cloth over the job and trimming to suit) this should eliminate the need to preheat.
I am thinking of a heat protecter ( if necessary) at the hive

Hi
I'm still thinking about how to modify mine. Did you drill the rivets out and did you use anything to seal the holes the rivets made in the tube?
I was thinking about cutting 2" off the tube and Channel at the OA container end then reattaching it so that I would keep the arm (it would be closer to the flame )?
I contacted the company and they said it needs preheating for 3min before use.

Thanks

Hi
I'm still thinking about how to modify mine. Did you drill the rivets out and did you use anything to seal the holes the rivets made in the tube?
I was thinking about cutting 2" off the tube and Channel at the OA container end then reattaching it so that I would keep the arm (it would be closer to the flame )?
I contacted the company and they said it needs preheating for 3min before use.

Thanks
Yes I drilled the rivets and cut the tube each end, discarded the two bits with the holes. My opinion at this stage is that it will work with one preheat as the hot air being blown through the tube will keep it warm enough to prevent condensation buI will continue with my plan for a heat trap around the tube. I hope to post a couple of photos when finished.

I have made a couple of simple mods.No preheating is required. Prothero was concerned that the heat at the hive entrance might be a problem, it is not, I can hold my hand at the end of the barrel.
Unfortunately I am unable to upload photos from my phone. Would it be possible to email them to a forum member and then post them, if so, please pm me your addy
Managed it, but unfortunately Im unable to rotate

Attachments

• 20170827_144916.jpg
    20170827_144916.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 71
  • 20170827_144831.jpg
    20170827_144831.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
image.jpg

Took the plunge.
Chopped 4.5" off the proximal end then reattached to OA chamber.
The heat deflection arm is now closer to the flame so hopefully will heat up the tube preventing condensation and prevent the hive going up in flames.
Test day will be Tuesday.

image.jpg

Just tested the modified , shortened vaper.
Gave it 1.5min to heat up on low flame.
Popped the lid and 1/4tsp OA into chamber and lid closed.
First test vape look 1.5 min.
Next 2 test vapes took 30 sec

I then vaped 9 nucs which took took approx 6 minutes.

Absolutely no ash or residue in the chamber or the tube.
No significant heat defected to the hive based on putting my hand in front of tube with flame on. Will be trying on poly hives in a few weeks.
Thanks guys for the tips on shortening the tube.

This device can be held all day in one hand and operated at the flick of a switch.
All you need is a spare standard camping gaz canister, however as it operates with a minimal flame I expect the gaz to last a while.

No more lugging batteries, tripping over jump leads and waiting for the varrox to cool.

Those who are used to a varrox need to get confident with their respirators protection. I,ve always used a half face mask & goggles with A2P3 filters but always stayed upwind. With this device you can't easily escape so are surrounded with some OA vapours.

I've drilled a 12mm hole into my crown boards deep shim. So I'm treating by turning the CB over and inserting the tube through the hole and treating from the top. Easy to go round the apiary and prepare each hive first then simply vape each one in turn without turning off the gas.

I'm planning on vaping all my remaining 45 nucs tomorrow which are spread over 4 sites.
Then in a few weeks when the supers come off will be vaping my main hives.
Will report any problems.

Im pleased it turned out ok, but bamboozled you are treating with oa when brood is present, unless you are planning several treatments

Last edited:
View attachment 14686

I then vaped 9 nucs which took took approx 6 minutes.

Absolutely no ash or residue in the chamber or the tube.
No significant heat defected to the hive based on putting my hand in front of tube with flame on.

No more lugging batteries, tripping over jump leads and waiting for the varrox to cool.

I'm keeping an eye on you, eyeman......... :spy:
I did eight hives last night, it took over an hour and I nearly ran out of daylight

Latest posts

Back