Frames full of brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin G

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Usual weekly check on the bees: I found that in one hive (commercial) some of the brood frames were completely covered in brood with no pollen or stores of any kind. There were three frames like this with the others being a mix as you would expect, but the entire brood box was full of one thing or another.

There were a couple of queen cups and a frame with a good number of sealed drones on. Everything looks good. There is a super on but with only one frame with some stores (a bit of honey and a little pollen)
My question is; when the sealed brood emerges there doesn’t seem to be enough stores for them and although the workers are working frantically I am concerned there still won’t be enough to go around. If this is the case what will the bees do? Swarm? And do you recommend I do some supplementary feeding? If so, what with?

Thanks,

Martin

You are saying there there are frames with stores in the hive.

Let the bees get on with it.

PH

Usual weekly check on the bees: I found that in one hive (commercial) some of the brood frames were completely covered in brood with no pollen or stores of any kind. There were three frames like this with the others being a mix as you would expect, but the entire brood box was full of one thing or another.

There were a couple of queen cups and a frame with a good number of sealed drones on. Everything looks good. There is a super on but with only one frame with some stores (a bit of honey and a little pollen)
My question is;

Martin

sounds normal but good.

When bees start to emerge, take care that you enlarge the hive in time.

There is a super on but with only one frame with some stores (a bit of honey and a little pollen)

So, I guess you are saying 'a super of foundation, but only one frame drawn'? I think in Harlech you might typically get later flows, like Japanese Knotweed and bramble. However, you are right not to rule out the possibility of starvation and should keep monitoring the situation.

So, I guess you are saying 'a super of foundation, but only one frame drawn'? I think in Harlech you might typically get later flows, like Japanese Knotweed and bramble. However, you are right not to rule out the possibility of starvation and should keep monitoring the situation.

Do bees take nectar from japanese knotweed?

sounds good, I'll keep an eye on them, thanks all.

Martin

I have honestly never seen a honey bee on japanese knotweed

I think at the same time of Japanese knotweed Craig your bees also have plenty of HB and given the choice they will go for the HB.

Back