Forum Poll

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you feel about the forum ?

• I come here regularly and contribute to threads

Votes: 56 24.6%
  • I only come here occasionally

Votes: 34 14.9%
  • I read posts but I don't usually contribute to threads

Votes: 135 59.2%
  • I find the forum helpful and informative

Votes: 171 75.0%
  • I think the forum is a friendly and welcoming place

Votes: 72 31.6%
  • I feel the forum could be more friendly and welcoming

Votes: 61 26.8%
  • I think the forum is OK as it is now

Votes: 103 45.2%
  • I think the forum could be improved

Votes: 26 11.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been thinking about this thread and have decided to put my tin hat on and give some feedback.

I strongly believe you learn by doing and by other embracing other forms of education e.g reading, researching interesting subjects and taking exams to test knowledge, whilst recognising that exams are not for everyone.

I recall when I first started contributing to the forum someone asked about BBKA exams. I took time out to publish syllabi, give some tips on exam technique (I used to help coordinate exams for Yorkshire bka) and offered some reading. My post was met with a barrage of criticism and all my links were taken down. The message was if you want to talk about BBKA exams go to their forum not here. I was shocked at the time and nearly gave up contributing. Fortunately a few others criticised this action and made the point that this site should be about all aspects of beekeeping including education and exams

I’m a pretty resilient person and feel passionate about sharing knowledge and experience and glad I didn’t give up. Though I have stopped posting anything about the formal education side which is a shame as I’m sure there are others including beginners going down this road. I realised soon after there were people who wanted to learn and to ignore negative feedback, be open to constructive criticism and choose a positive attitude

So my feedback is the Beeforum and it’s contributors should be open to all aspects of beekeeping. Whether practical hands on or theory and / or formal education.

I’ve now taken 6 module exams, I’ve learnt so much by reading as well as from practical tips here and by learning from my bees hands on. I plan to take my General Husbandry assessment this summer and I would like to think this forum could be used as a place to gain feedback and encouragement from other like minded beekeepers to help me prepare for it and pass it. It’s another opportunity in my view to learn and become a better beekeeper.

So I get a message, that you reacted to my interaction with 'angry' which has now been withdrawn.
Yes sorry....it was a complete error. I was playing with emojis looking for something that could be used as a dislike button. See the post from drdrday.

I’ve been thinking about this thread and have decided to put my tin hat on and give some feedback.

I strongly believe you learn by doing and by other embracing other forms of education e.g reading, researching interesting subjects and taking exams to test knowledge, whilst recognising that exams are not for everyone.

I recall when I first started contributing to the forum someone asked about BBKA exams. I took time out to publish syllabi, give some tips on exam technique (I used to help coordinate exams for Yorkshire bka) and offered some reading. My post was met with a barrage of criticism and all my links were taken down. The message was if you want to talk about BBKA exams go to their forum not here. I was shocked at the time and nearly gave up contributing. Fortunately a few others criticised this action and made the point that this site should be about all aspects of beekeeping including education and exams

I’m a pretty resilient person and feel passionate about sharing knowledge and experience and glad I didn’t give up. Though I have stopped posting anything about the formal education side which is a shame as I’m sure there are others including beginners going down this road. I realised soon after there were people who wanted to learn and to ignore negative feedback, be open to constructive criticism and choose a positive attitude

So my feedback is the Beeforum and it’s contributors should be open to all aspects of beekeeping. Whether practical hands on or theory and / or formal education.

I’ve now taken 6 module exams, I’ve learnt so much by reading as well as from practical tips here and by learning from my bees hands on. I plan to take my General Husbandry assessment this summer and I would like to think this forum could be used as a place to gain feedback and encouragement from other like minded beekeepers to help me prepare for it and pass it. It’s another opportunity in my view to learn and become a better beekeeper.
I very much doubt any reaction you had was down to the formal learning or education side of things. But rather the bbka, and or advertising their bits here.

I very much doubt any reaction you had was down to the formal learning or education side of things. But rather the bbka, and or advertising their bits here.

I can understand - just about - why this forum may not like links to the BBKA Forum (a competitor)

But blocking access to other links to the BBKA would be ridiculous

For example, I am sure they wouldn't block access to something as anodyne as this:

BBKA Healthy Hive Guide | British Beekeepers Association

Oh dear. How embarrassing (for the forum). It actually does block access to the BBKA's Healthy Hive Guide. The whole site in fact. While allowing links to the Russia Today website (for example)......

That just smacks of paranoia and bitterness. It makes the forum look very petty.

Apart from run a rather ineffective organisation (and what organisation isn't?), and be a bit heavy handed in moderating a forum XX years ago, what have the BBKA actually done wrong to be censored?

So in terms of this poll, I would change that. Block the specific URL of the BBKA Forum, if you absolutely must, but nothing else.

Last edited:
I can understand - just about - why this forum may not like links to the BBKA Forum (a competitor)

But blocking access to other links to the BBKA would be ridiculous

For example, I am sure they wouldn't block access to something as anodyne as this:

BBKA Healthy Hive Guide | British Beekeepers Association

Oh dear. How embarrassing (for the forum). It actually does block access to the BBKA's Healthy Hive Guide. The whole site in fact.

That just smacks of paranoia and bitterness. It makes the forum look very petty.

So in terms of this poll, I would change that. Block the specific URL of the BBKA Forum, if you absolutely must, but nothing else.
'Kiss and make up' comes to mind otherwise this forum becomes insular.

Apart from run a rather ineffective organisation (and what organisation isn't?), and be a bit heavy handed in moderating a forum XX years ago, what have the BBKA actually done wrong to be censored?
See 'What have the Romans ever done for us?' ;)

For a start, funding from pesticide manufacturers makes me uneasy but there is potentially the pecunia non olet view.

I agree no need to block it these days, not even the forum. It’s hardly competition. I shall certainly raise that with admin.

See 'What have the Romans ever done for us?' ;)

For a start, funding from pesticide manufacturers makes me uneasy but there is potentially the pecunia non olet view.
Do you take that view Will? 🤔

I am undecided. My main concern is it allows pesticide manufacturers to try and claim some sort of environmental points and hoodwink people, followed by the 'are there strings attached' to affect what the BBKA does/says. If both of those can be stopped then provided there is effective governance then the I would be less worried. However, I don't think any of these three conditions are met so the whole situation stinks to me.

As for BBKA... There are pros and cons, I'm not a massive fan but I'm not actively seeking their demise. RCVS first...

It's probably me, but I tend to use those more when I'm sharing the anger or upset of the poster, rather than disagreeing with them.
yes I've doen that too - especilly :( . But the context probably makes it clear and it's not like anyone's keeping count.

I also hesitate as I try to put myself in their shoes - the closest I can come up with is if a company like Bayer were to offer me a contract to keep bees on one of their sites. I don't know what my decision would be...extra income plus the opportunity to teach individuals and maybe even have some influence on them vs. my own ethics of does this look murky and does it go against what I stand for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back