Monitoring Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually Germany saved Finland from Russia at the end of war. It gove to us modern weapons. At the end, when Russia attacked in final battles, German aeroplanes mombed Russian transportations , like fuel and material transports. There were on average 70 planes in action and German pilots.

Häyhä was super in his shooting. But in our war only 9% out of death got direct bullet. Most of soldiers died for granades and inflammations. (60%).

Yeah! We are very happy, that our destiny was not like in Estonia. And that is why we are still happy.

Finland was quite good at switching sides/allies too!

Finland was quite good at switching sides/allies too!
When war is over with Russia, Russia ordered that Finland drive away German troops from Finland. Then started a War of Lapland.

Last edited:
During my search for knowledge, while I was preparing to keep bees, I found information about how some beekeepers have used stethoscopes to listen to their hive boxes, to check whether the bees were still alive in the depths of winter. My impression is that being able to view the bees through a clear crown board, and check that the hive temperature was greater than the ambient temperature, can provide a comforting level of reassurance, far more quickly and easily than with a stethoscope..

With regard to temperature, I placed a small thermometer above the crown board (and under the thick polystyrene insulation slab which is above the crown board) in one of my hives several months ago. The ability to use a thermometer to monitor my bees in this way prompted me to search for suitable thermometers which I could place permanently in my hives. The thermometers which I ordered through ebay have arrived, and I shall observe with interest the hive temperatures through the various periods of the beekeeping year. I was able to purchase thermometers for less than $2 (Aus) each, delivered to my mail box.
This old forum was interesting to read - but most posts limited themselves by considering only winter monitoring. The opening post - quoted above - mentioned monitoring ‘temperature thru the various periods of the beekeeping year’. That is my own interest and I wonder if we can restart this forum and share experience ?

After 50+ years as a bee-keeper, to get honey, rreading Seeley and Taust has shown how amazing colony life is and converted me to a bee-carer. Looking after employees makes them more productive - so looking after needs of bees will increase yields and is not anti-commercial.

the periods I want to monitor by external measurements - and stopping opening the hive - are:
winter survival + spring expansion + swarm preparations + establishing a new brood nest + bringing in the main crop + preparing for winter.

The ‘tools’ for external monitoring are:
mechanical scales to compare weight gain against other hives - and detect sudden drop that could suggest internal swarm clustering - and when main flow starts and finishes
Small digital thermometers inserted between brood frames and viewed thru a glass cover board to monitor expansion of the brood nest
counting bees flying out in 60 seconds at same time of day - and sudden drop just prior to swarming
hearing aid inserted at hive entrance to listen for rise in pitch of sound within the hive - 200hz normally, rising to 300hz durung swarm preps.

I have tested the methods over the last 3 years but never yet taken time to make proper records. Running less colonies after abnormal winter losses may be the opportunity.

What experience have other posters gained?

(Please dont post that this is a waste of time - it is only my time that may be wasted)

This old forum was interesting to read - but most posts limited themselves by considering only winter monitoring. The opening post - quoted above - mentioned monitoring ‘temperature thru the various periods of the beekeeping year’. That is my own interest and I wonder if we can restart this forum and share experience ?

After 50+ years as a bee-keeper, to get honey, rreading Seeley and Taust has shown how amazing colony life is and converted me to a bee-carer. Looking after employees makes them more productive - so looking after needs of bees will increase yields and is not anti-commercial.

the periods I want to monitor by external measurements - and stopping opening the hive - are:
winter survival + spring expansion + swarm preparations + establishing a new brood nest + bringing in the main crop + preparing for winter.

The ‘tools’ for external monitoring are:
mechanical scales to compare weight gain against other hives - and detect sudden drop that could suggest internal swarm clustering - and when main flow starts and finishes
Small digital thermometers inserted between brood frames and viewed thru a glass cover board to monitor expansion of the brood nest
counting bees flying out in 60 seconds at same time of day - and sudden drop just prior to swarming
hearing aid inserted at hive entrance to listen for rise in pitch of sound within the hive - 200hz normally, rising to 300hz durung swarm preps.

I have tested the methods over the last 3 years but never yet taken time to make proper records. Running less colonies after abnormal winter losses may be the opportunity.

What experience have other posters gained?

(Please dont post that this is a waste of time - it is only my time that may be wasted)

I picked up some cheap wireless thermometers from an auction - a base control and three sensors. One sensor on/near the landing board and a second one on top of the perspex crown board but underneath the insulation pad on top. It recorded a differnce of 8-10c between insode and outside the hive - enough to assure me that they were alive and generating heat. Around 8c variance when frosty and 10c when milder. A third sensor put in a second hive allowed me to compare the progress on both hives. The accuracy of the equipment is not too important as I was looking for a significant diffeence between in and outside the hives. I don't usually check the temp during the season as I can monitor them visually through the cb and on inspection.

Latest posts

Back