Forum Poll

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you feel about the forum ?

• I come here regularly and contribute to threads

Votes: 56 24.6%
  • I only come here occasionally

Votes: 34 14.9%
  • I read posts but I don't usually contribute to threads

Votes: 135 59.2%
  • I find the forum helpful and informative

Votes: 171 75.0%
  • I think the forum is a friendly and welcoming place

Votes: 72 31.6%
  • I feel the forum could be more friendly and welcoming

Votes: 61 26.8%
  • I think the forum is OK as it is now

Votes: 103 45.2%
  • I think the forum could be improved

Votes: 26 11.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just once reported a post, but got no reply concerning it. An acknowlegement at least, would have been good.
I try to acknowledge every one I deal with. When another moderator has dealt with it I don’t do anything else. Sometimes no action is needed. Sometimes a reply to the offender is posted in the thread.
Edit.
You reported two
In the first the offending post was deleted.
In the second the offending post was edited.
You surely must have taken that as your report having been actioned

I try to acknowledge every one I deal with. When another moderator has dealt with it I don’t do anything else. Sometimes no action is needed. Sometimes a reply to the offender is posted in the thread.
Edit.
You reported two
In the first the offending post was deleted.
I’m the second the offending post was edited.
You surely must have taken that as your report having been actioned
I think an acknowledgement should always be offered.

Which means that they relate only loosly, and sometime very poorly, to expertise... And there is a standing provision for those who simply make most noise to achieve a 'high' ranking.

That sounds to me like a system that needs changing.
But ... alongside the number of posts in the profile there is also a reaction score ... Generally reactions are added that are positive acclamations of a post and so you could, in some ways, construe that someone with a number of posts and a commensurate number of reactions is someone whose has some experience and has posts that have been appreciated by the community on here. Obviously, it's not a perfect system but it does give some indication that the member could be relied on. Clearly some members post more than others but if you take the reaction score as a percentage of total posts it might give people new to the forum a better idea. Quantity of posts on its own has little meaning as you say .. but coupled with peer reaction it has more meaning.

For those that have been on the forum for any length of time you get to know who gives sound advice - it's pretty obvious.

Bump ...

If you haven't voted or would like to add your comments please do ... we are going to run the poll a bit longer as there are still people voting.

Lookign at the figures, is it clear to everyone that you can vote for multiple options?

Lookign at the figures, is it clear to everyone that you can vote for multiple options?
Yes ... as it says in the OP ... you can select multiple options - But I've just highlighted that sentence in case it's not clear. You can also go back in and edit your voting if you feel your view has changed - for better or worse !

I suppose I am one of the old fogeys on here now though I started out as keen-eyed and bursting with enthusiasm. Aye weel that was then and this is now.

I remember getting very annoyed about something on here and thinking this is not good, this is affecting my health, and that is when and why I stopped posting and deleted every shortcut in my browsers to the site.

I run a small FB group which actually started to support an evening class I was running at the time with 4 attending. The numbers are now around 1700. One of my admins on that group was banned from here which I have no knowledge as to why but he's a damn good beeman. Your loss?

My group has a message near every week welcoming new members and pointing out the resources in the files section. AFAIK this is not done here and the technical section is not highlighted to people. So what's the point of having one if it ain't promoted, especially to the people who would benefit the most?

Something that shows up in many groups is how (being honest and frank) how lazy many are. I read a motorhome site and rather than do research and planning people just ask, I'm at so and so is there anywhere to stay? And they expect to get the info!

Sitting back and thinking gosh we are so wonderful ain't helpful either. There is always room for improvement. I too have heard whispers as to how rough this forum is. Now whether that is still deserved or not it needs some work to rectify that rep.

I'll close by saying there is a huge thirst for beekeeping knowledge out there. Over the Winters of the shutdowns I ran free beginners courses, 16 hours a time. I had over 100 attend in one form or another as I put them up publically on youtube so the numbers are still rising. This is very powerful medium, a wonderful source of good. It's also double edged: so do try be nice....

PH

Last edited:
I do direct people to the longest running thread here but telling them to look at the stickies is useful too. Thanks Pete.

I think there should be more techniques, catalogued in the stickies section.
It would help if anybody finds something useful to let the mods know.
The stickies section is managed differently nowadays.
There is an index now which links to the thread in question

It would help if anybody finds something useful to let the mods know.
The stickies section is managed differently nowadays.
There is an index now which links to the thread in question
There are 28 stickies but there are many more techniques that are not referenced for beginners to use.

There are 28 stickies but there are many more techniques that are not referenced for beginners to use.
Shoot. I’ll add the threads. We don’t actually have an encyclopaedia of manipulations. The stickies reference discussions in threads

Shoot. I’ll add the threads. We don’t actually have an encyclopaedia of manipulations. The stickies reference discussions in threads
Don't you dare include 'shook swarm'!! :icon_204-2:

On the topic of the 'like' buttons, personally I 'like' these. In the beginners' section in particular, a question will often receive multiple and varying responses. In these instances I tend to see the like button as a way of putting my support or agreement on a particular post without having to basically repeat the same thing in my own post. I see it as a 'vote' for the suggestion/idea given in the post, and I think it's useful as a beginner to see the amount of support behind a piece of advice. Of course the 'like' buttons are also used to simply like content such as a photo, or someone's good news, but I don't think their role as an expression of opinion on ideas/suggestions should be overlooked.
Personally I would appreciate a dislike button. Whilst the forum is generally fairly good natured there are times that I find the attitude of someone's post unpleasant, condescending or bullying. I haven't yet found a situation in which I would report a post, as for me this would have to be a clearly abusive post (perhaps others have a lower threshold for wanting to report a post), and also an instance in which I didn't think I would get jumped on by a lot of the regulars who would likely be in support of their friend/veteran member.
A dislike button would allow me share my disappointment with a post. I am sure there will be those that would say I should add my own post calling out the behaviour, but for me that's simply adding more negativity and seems to be lowering me to their standards of behaviour. I agree with Pargyle's 'if you can't say something nice, don't say anything', but I interpret it differently in this situation. The point is that I don't want to say anything that isn't nice (I don't want to post anything negative, and get drawn into that downward spiral that we often see), but I do want to show that I don't think what was posted was nice or necessary. I believe a dislike button would give forum members a less confrontational way to show their opinion of an unpleasant post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back