For The Black Bee Brigade

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
50+
[FONT=&quot]"Sustainable Beekeeping: A future without Imports"[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Saturday 17th February 2018 at The Eden Project, Bodelva, Par, Cornwall. PL24 2SG. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This exciting event has been organised in response to the increased interest in native and near native honey bees, not only by beekeepers, but the general public and those with an interest in ecology. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Many beekeepers now realise the benefits of working with bees that are hardy, productive, healthy and best suit their local conditions, rather than using imported races that have been bred for much warmer climates.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bee researchers believe that native bees are an important resource that shouldn't be lost. European studies have shown that locally adapted bees perform better than imported ones, with possible health and survivability benefits.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The event is organised by the Bee Improvement and Bee Breeders Association (BIBBA) and B4, in conjunction with BIPCo. The morning will have presentations covering research relevant to native/near native bees by research scientists Norman Carreck, Mark Barnett, Mairi Knight and Victoria Buswell. In the afternoon BIBBA President and bee farmer Jo Widdicombe will discuss the principles of practical bee improvement and Roger Patterson will highlight some problems we face. He will suggest ways of helping the wider beekeeping community to achieve a more sustainable culture that avoids importing bees and queens that may be unsuitable.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Participation will include entry to the Eden Project.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For details see https://bibba.com/eden[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Please note Firefox didnt like the link to bibba on my PC........maybe my PC is an import :serenade:
[/FONT]

My phone don't like this link either

Looks like BIBBA site forgot to put their clocks back to BST...get "Clock error" and keeps telling me mine is wrong...which it isn't.
Ho hum...breweries and pissups comes to mind.

[FONT=&quot]This exciting event has been organised in response to the increased interest in native and near native honey bees, not only by beekeepers, but the general public and those with an interest in ecology. [/FONT]

What increased interest. BIBBA are like Jehovahs Witnesses. Everyone looks the other way and hopes they wont be stopped

Usual weasel words from an organisation which fails to do the basics: i.e have physical queens to sell.

And then they want to ban imports .. are they suggesting their members - who rarely advertise anything for sale - Johnathan Getty being the honourable exception - are going to suddenly produce 10,000++ queens a year from somewhere to fill the gap when exports are banned?

I wait with baited breath for the upsurge in investment ...

[FONT=&quot]"Sustainable Beekeeping: A future without Imports"[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Saturday 17th February 2018 at The Eden Project, Bodelva, Par, Cornwall. PL24 2SG. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Many beekeepers now realise the benefits of working with bees that are hardy, productive, healthy and best suit their local conditions, rather than using imported races that have been bred for much warmer climates.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bee researchers believe that native bees are an important resource that shouldn't be lost. European studies have shown that locally adapted bees perform better than imported ones, with possible health and survivability benefits.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The event is organised by the Bee Improvement and Bee Breeders Association (BIBBA) and B4, in conjunction with BIPCo. The morning will have presentations covering research relevant to native/near native bees by research scientists Norman Carreck, Mark Barnett, Mairi Knight and Victoria Buswell. In the afternoon BIBBA President and bee farmer Jo Widdicombe will discuss the principles of practical bee improvement and Roger Patterson will highlight some problems we face. He will suggest ways of helping the wider beekeeping community to achieve a more sustainable culture that avoids importing bees and queens that may be unsuitable.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Participation will include entry to the Eden Project.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For details see https://bibba.com/eden[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Please note Firefox didnt like the link to bibba on my PC........maybe my PC is an import :serenade:
[/FONT]

Someone hacked the BIBBA website apparently......
so all the nere~do~well's comments have backfired a bit don't you think?
Now fixed try the correct link
https://bibba.com/event/sustainable-beekeeping-future-without-imports/
working fine on my PC!
Yeghes da

Last edited:
Sorry but I agree, Not Working Here :D

He must be referring to Hivemaker :D

What increased interest.

Yes, there has been increased interest in native bees :) From general public to new beekeepers, quite a lot of interest and all positive.

Did you miss the native Amm's on T.V?

One has to wonder the intention of this thread, unfortunately.

Sorry. My passport only covers the UK

You can get into Cornwall for free.... dualled all the way to Truro... and they are going to build a new link road to St Austell to get the grokkels into Eden quicker and without using the nasty tight twisty unlit roads thereabouts!
Unfortunately getting back to England over the Tamar costs £1.50 if you use the Torpoint Ferry or Saltash / Parkway bridge... the other 5 ( ? 8) bridges over the Tamar are free!

Probably would not be much of interest for those who know all there is to know about about bees already?

Nos da

Yes, there has been increased interest in native bees :) From general public to new beekeepers, quite a lot of interest and all positive.

Did you miss the native Amm's on T.V?

I must have. I have a short attention span for propaganda.
The "general public" will believe almost anything. How else would BREXIT have got through? New beekeepers are often impressionable too.

Back