Food hygiene certificate

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only way you can get a 5 star hygiene rating is by registering with your local council and let them come out and inspect your premises, rotation system, HAACP book, etc. The level 2 certificate is a totally different thing, but is required if you want the council to award you a 5 star rating. Councils aren't bothered about your business or how much you sell, just want to know that you are not selling a food product from an unregistered property. In most cases they won't even bother with a visit if it's honey.
Trust me it's well worth getting them to visit, they are there to help you, not hinder you. They gave us some excellent advice and pointers.

Some excellent advice in the above post.
/BIG GRIN/

We did our health cert on line and trading standards were perfectly happy with it for the guesthouse. I would echo the advice to phone and ask.

Ring your local authority and they will advise. Very helpful they are. You want the food handling one .....
I'll give them a call on Monday as I need to speak to them anyway about the registration process. However, comparing the catering vs manufacturing courses, honey extraction certainly leans towards to manufacturing side of things as opposed to food prep and catering.

They both cover all the basics.

I'll send them a copy of my cert and see if its sufficient.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Some excellent advice in the above post.

/BIG GRIN/
Yes. That's what I'll be aiming for...

Need to get my procedures in place

We did our health cert on line and trading standards were perfectly happy with it for the guesthouse. I would echo the advice to phone and ask.
Its C+G accredited so it should be fine.

Cant believe how cheap they are!

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1516371058235&uri=CELEX:02004R0853-20171121 a EU regulation is used by most EU states to give small producers of Eggs, rabbits, grouse, lamb carcasses, cooked crabs and Honey exemption from registration under the hygiene of premise legislation but you have to follow hygienic practices

you are allowed to sell directly from your dwelling or to local shops for direct sale ( ie not a chain or supermarket), most EU and Uk define local as the county or local department in which you live or 25 miles from that boundary

the uk government has passed legislation on what small is for eggs, lambs, crabs & Milk etc but unlike other EU states it has not defined what small is for honey

if we had a property organization instead of the BBKA they would be pressing the government to pass legislation so small honey producers could be defined and be exempt from registration ( you would still need a basic HCCPand NVQ etc) BUT we have the BBKA who dont even understand that a risk assessement is for risks to Humans not the risk to killing bees

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1516371058235&uri=CELEX:02004R0853-20171121 a EU regulation is used by most EU states to give small producers of Eggs, rabbits, grouse, lamb carcasses, cooked crabs and Honey exemption from registration under the hygiene of premise legislation but you have to follow hygienic practices

you are allowed to sell directly from your dwelling or to local shops for direct sale ( ie not a chain or supermarket), most EU and Uk define local as the county or local department in which you live or 25 miles from that boundary

the uk government has passed legislation on what small is for eggs, lambs, crabs & Milk etc but unlike other EU states it has not defined what small is for honey

if we had a property organization instead of the BBKA they would be pressing the government to pass legislation so small honey producers could be defined and be exempt from registration ( you would still need a basic HCCPand NVQ etc) BUT we have the BBKA who dont even understand that a risk assessement is for risks to Humans not the risk to killing bees

Seems all the EU regulations will pass into English Law when and if we eventually Brexit!
Hoorah Crowpie is back on the menu!

On another tack we were informed that the star rating badge was not a necessity unless you were providing food to be eaten at the point of sale.. perhaps Thymalarse/ beefiendly or whatever he has morphed avatar wise ( We call him Nigel the know it all) sells burgers etc on his little market stand?

Chons da
Icanhopit / AKA/ cheers:cheers2:

I am asking you, you made the comment.

@EJackson, I'm afraid you will get no sense out of Pargy or t'other joker.
As resident list trolls go both of them are pretty harmless. One is on my ignore list; t'other I ignore as a matter of principal. They seem to enjoy trying to "bait" other posters and delight in taking threads totally off topic...... as can be seen in their recent posts on this thread.
I'm sorry you had to make their acquaintance so soon after joining this vibrant forum.

@EJackson, I'm afraid you will get no sense out of Pargy or t'other joker.
As resident list trolls go both of them are pretty harmless. One is on my ignore list; t'other I ignore as a matter of principal. They seem to enjoy trying to "bait" other posters and delight in taking threads totally off topic...... as can be seen in their recent posts on this thread.
I'm sorry you had to make their acquaintance so soon after joining this vibrant forum.

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Soooooo... disingenuous ... are you talking to yourself AGAIN ? Not just at Post #21 ?

So many personalities .. we really don't know who you are .. At least I'm the same person I've always been on here ... not a three times banned for life reincarnation !

Just going through this myself.
Our local council are very interested in beekeepers atm.
They told me a hygeine certificate was needed to sell honey at public events, not sure how the association stall is going to comply with this.

As soon as they have your details trading standards will also be in touch. They will insist you have trade approved scales. Strangely they do not need a current calibration certificate and the weights and measures allows a 15g + - variation in weight on a 1lb jar. They will also want a sample of your label.

It's all red tape but has to be done I suppose.

There are a couple of different certificates the basic one allows sales within 30 miles of the county border and further than that you need another certificate, health mark I think it was but for honey it's just a box ticking exercise.
The rules then change again if your doing more than 2 ton a week.

As soon as they have your details trading standards will also be in touch. They will insist you have trade approved scales.

Anyone got any links to a decent set of trade approved scales? up to 20kg

They told me a hygeine certificate was needed to sell honey at public events, not sure how the association stall is going to comply with this.

Most markets/council/private or otherwise will not let you trade without a hygiene certificate plus level 2 and insurance.
Not come across the trade approved scales before. I use a digital set of scales and calibrate them to a standard 500g weight before use. It seemed to satisfy the environmental health people in our area.

Most markets/council/private or otherwise will not let you trade without a hygiene certificate plus level 2 and insurance.
Not come across the trade approved scales before. I use a digital set of scales and calibrate them to a standard 500g weight before use. It seemed to satisfy the environmental health people in our area.

Environmental heath are ok with any scales it's not their departments job.
Trading standards get a bit jobs worth about the scales to be honest, even when you point out their own rules allow a 30g window lol.
I'll put up the links they sent me to the information anout weights and measures, labelling etc.

No one has mentioned lvl 2 anything yet but that may come later.

Last edited:
Back