Food hygiene certificate

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geb

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Is it necessary to have food hygiene certification if you sell honey via a local shop? Just wondering what would happen if there were to be any comeback from customers, or if the shop itself had a visit from the standards people? Is it possible they might trace back to the suppliers and swoop on your kitchen honey processing facilities? Probably not an issue when selling direct to the consumer, but when you don't know who the consumer is ... I'm not sure. Have there ever been any prosecutions for hobby Beekeepers whose processing facilities do not come up to scratch?

Is it necessary to have food hygiene certification if you sell honey via a local shop? Just wondering what would happen if there were to be any comeback from customers, or if the shop itself had a visit from the standards people? Is it possible they might trace back to the suppliers and swoop on your kitchen honey processing facilities? Probably not an issue when selling direct to the consumer, but when you don't know who the consumer is ... I'm not sure. Have there ever been any prosecutions for hobby Beekeepers whose processing facilities do not come up to scratch?

Food hygiene
Registration of premises does not apply to the direct supply by
the producer of small quantities of primary products to the final
consumer or to local retail establishments directly supplying the
final consumer.
However, the BBKA does recommend that beekeepers who
offer honey for sale familiarise themselves with the basic hazards
and practices in food handling.

The above text is taken from a BBKA 'Selling Honey' downloaded pdf leaflet.
Of course a local Food & Hygiene department may have other views and it's not defined what a 'small quantity' of honey is!!

Safest advice is ring and talk to your local environmental health dept. It appears different authorities have different guidelines due to difficulties in interpreting EU regulations. Usually if you mention honey, they are no longer interested and make you exempt. We currently have a 5 star rating, which promotes confidence,as we see when we do markets with other honey seller's present.

it varies across london as to what the borough enviromental health officers require, one borough insists on a NVQ2 for retail sales others advise that like the BBKA advice that for due diligence a NVQ1 should be at least taken

However even the NVQ2 has little relevance to honey extraction, both our county and an adjacent county arrange for a more targeted NVQ2 toward beekeepers

Safest advice is ring and talk to your local environmental health dept. It appears different authorities have different guidelines due to difficulties in interpreting EU regulations. Usually if you mention honey, they are no longer interested and make you exempt. We currently have a 5 star rating, which promotes confidence,as we see when we do markets with other honey seller's present.

Even "Two hive" owners selling over the gate it seems can come under the watchful eye of Trading Standards in Cornwall, who will inspect and "advise", if they have a concern... a recent case with a beekeeper selling honey in used 1lb jars with dirty rusty lids and jars that had not been cleaned adequately springs to mind!
Proper labeling, new jars and lids..... and a Food and Hygiene level 2, plus a HACUP and a clean processing area are essential to keep you out of trouble,

Yeghes da

Shops and markets we sell at/to will not take any goods without one. It is their reputation as well as yours apart from the risk of prosecution. Easy to get one, so no real reason not to IMHO
S

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shops and markets we sell at/to will not take any goods without one. It is their reputation as well as yours apart from the risk of prosecution. Easy to get one, so no real reason not to IMHO
S

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Plus all in my neck of the woods require public and product liability.. basically a full market traders and food producers insurance!........... the mediocre and minimal cover included in the BBKA is NOT acceptable.

Bees are now classed as food producing stock by the EU ... bringing in a raft of regulations ............regulations the French and Spanish ,,, and the Greeks seem happy to ignore!

Yeghes da

It is so easy to get a hygeine certificate. £10 on line. Just get one and then no worries!
E

It is so easy to get a hygeine certificate. £10 on line. Just get one and then no worries!
E

Please enlarge on this.. will they sell me a doctorate for the same price... without having to study for another three years?

Yeghes da

You can buy anything online these days!

Food hygiene certificates aren't something that ever crossed my mind with regards to honey. At least I've got plenty of time before I'll need one...

Most local authorities are happy to accept online accredited Level 2 hygiene certificates. It is best to check with the local authorities which ones they are happy with. It;s multi-choice answers and relatively straight forward. Alternative is to spend a day and lots more money on a one day course. The overall aim is to make you aware of where problems can occur during processing, what the common causes of food poisoning are etc.
There is also a free allergen on line course run by the gov. Worth doing if you sell things other than honey.
You may find somewhere in India that will sell you a Doctorate, but do you really want one awarded by the University of Delhi Belly or wherever?
Work at it, like the rest of us did!

Most local authorities are happy to accept online accredited Level 2 hygiene certificates. It is best to check with the local authorities which ones they are happy with. It;s multi-choice answers and relatively straight forward. Alternative is to spend a day and lots more money on a one day course. The overall aim is to make you aware of where problems can occur during processing, what the common causes of food poisoning are etc.
There is also a free allergen on line course run by the gov. Worth doing if you sell things other than honey.
You may find somewhere in India that will sell you a Doctorate, but do you really want one awarded by the University of Delhi Belly or wherever?
Work at it, like the rest of us did!

Alas I am far too old and I am already far too over qualified to bother with any more letters after my name!:icon_204-2:

Yeghes da

E

Also if you have one on display on your stall, and your competing Honey seller does not, they will purchase from you! (well they do in my neck of the woods!)

Thanks for the info. I shall look up the online level 2 hygiene course. I'm a bit wary of getting the local council involved as I don't want them to label me as a commercial enterprise. I won't be selling much, but would like to be certified for safe five star hygiene standards.

The only way you can get a 5 star hygiene rating is by registering with your local council and let them come out and inspect your premises, rotation system, HAACP book, etc. The level 2 certificate is a totally different thing, but is required if you want the council to award you a 5 star rating. Councils aren't bothered about your business or how much you sell, just want to know that you are not selling a food product from an unregistered property. In most cases they won't even bother with a visit if it's honey.
Trust me it's well worth getting them to visit, they are there to help you, not hinder you. They gave us soem excellent advice and pointers.

Our Local BKA organised a talk by the council authorities Env.Health & the Weights & Measures office(may have some other official title). Free but they did urge all producers to register no pressure though.
This was followed up again by the BKA organizing a Food Hygiene course with the local college , grant approved so we were able to offer to members for a total cost £5

Even "Two hive" owners selling over the gate it seems can come under the watchful eye of Trading Standards in Cornwall, who will inspect and "advise", if they have a concern... a recent case with a beekeeper selling honey in used 1lb jars with dirty rusty lids and jars that had not been cleaned adequately springs to mind!
Proper labeling, new jars and lids..... and a Food and Hygiene level 2, plus a HACUP and a clean processing area are essential to keep you out of trouble,

Yeghes da

Sorry to drag up an old thread.

Does it matter which F+H level 2?

Ive just done the one for manufacturing but see there is one for catering as well.

Im guessing manufacturing one will be fine?

Its seemed pretty thorough

Sorry to drag up an old thread.

Does it matter which F+H level 2?

Ive just done the one for manufacturing but see there is one for catering as well.

Im guessing manufacturing one will be fine?

Its seemed pretty thorough

Ring your local authority and they will advise. Very helpful they are. You want the food handling one .....

Latest posts

Back