First Swarm Sweep Stake!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IIRC the first swarm call I heard of last year was on the day of the WBKA spring convention which was 26th of March, in the Swansea area, but things were a lot more progressed last season, it was the first year ever that I inspected most hives before the WBKA convention and was getting kit ready for supering.
This year, same as any other year I feel no compulsion to don a beesuit yet.

Ditto 28th March.

If we win can we share the June Queen prize? I'll have the egg laying half!
If we win it will probably be because I caught my neighbour's swarm. If that happens you may have the June queen.

My neighbour's bees are notorious with the local council and are on an allotment opposite my street. My house is in their preferred flight path. Every year they start early and spray the local area with swarms which seem to prefer living in houses to hives.

That's how I got into beekeeping: a few years back a swarm flew through the bathroom window and hit the inside of the shower curtain whilst I was taking a shower. Once I got over the initial shock I realised I regretted not acting fast enough to save their Queen. They have such a lovely temperament and fly in all weather. I'm curious as to whether they'd still be swarmy if under new management.

There are a few scout bees around my bait hive already, so they're already weighing up their options ;-)

IIRC the first swarm call I heard of last year was on the day of the WBKA spring convention which was 26th of March, in the Swansea area, but things were a lot more progressed last season, it was the first year ever that I inspected most hives before the WBKA convention and was getting kit ready for supering.
This year, same as any other year I feel no compulsion to don a beesuit yet.
Yes much further along
I got dandelion honey off a couple of colonies too

Latest posts

Back