Extractor purchase

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cinnamon

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I know the advice is to not buy an extractor when you're a beginner, because it's expensive and takes up space etc but I'm tired of waiting to borrow an extractor from the association for the last 2 weeks... Enough is enough I say. I really want to get the extraction done this weekend.

I only have one super to extract so it's not like a huge amount.

So those who'd purchased an extractor, what are the things to look out for? What to avoid?

Thorne's is out of extractors (the cheaper ones). Ebay has some
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/4-Frame-St...Beekeeping-Manual/2231041021?iid=302239908177

Another provider has another:
https://bee-equipment.co.uk/collections/extraction/products/plastic-honey-extractor

OR I could potentially build one but I need to look into that better... might turn out more expensive than buying one with all the bits it needs...

Thoughts are most welcome :)

Thornes little plastic hand wind job is a good one... often sold with other useful extracting kit... also will have a resale value if you move up or give up!

Yeghes da

I only had 6-8 frames to extract ( as only just started ) but purchased one anyway , i was lucky to find a very nice 6 frame Thomas ( french ) unit with 50kg holding tank , lovely bit of kit and less than a 10th of the price new so worth looking around . They are a lot bigger than id imagined but storage not as issue for me , but certainly something to ponder. I also wanted something that would take any frame size , have an internal strainer and holding tank. I also found a German manufacturer that looked nice and 50% cheaper than UK prices and was about to purchase new but the Thomas unit popped up . Happy to PM details .

The issue is not the cost so much as the money you lose if you buy one that is too small. If you stay with 1 hive a 2 frame is fine but the 4 frame tangentials can usually accept super frames radially which makes life quicker and easier when you expand to 4/5 colonies and bigger.
Space to store it is a factor. Home made of using metal is a no go unless you can weld stainless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@icanhopit - Thorne's is out of stock at the moment. :(

@DABOSS - Can you please PM me the details? Thank you!

Make sure it's stainless steel or plastic, not an ancient tin plated one.

The points below apply more for when you have larger volumes to extract, than just a single super, but if you're planning on expanding in the future they're worth considering.

- Radial extractors are better than tangential, as they're quicker and less likely to damage the comb
- Two frame extractors are a faff - I have a 4 frame tangential extractor (similar to the one in your EBay link above) and it takes me around 20 minutes to do a 10 frame super from start to finish.
- manual is fine for small volumes, though some extractors can be upgraded or modified to take an electric motor at a later date.

A double sieve and enough buckets are also recommend, as is double checking that the honey gate on the extractor is shut before spilling too much honey on the floor :)

as is double checking that the honey gate on the extractor is shut before spilling too much honey on the floor :)

If that happened, I think I'd cry and cry some more.

Great pointers JWF and Colin. Thank you.

As a cautionary note, the eBay one says Portsmouth, but the seller is from Hong Kong, in which case it may take a month to get to you. Also the negative feedback, doesn't look good. If you are desperate to get one then make sure it is from the UK if there are any comebacks. Either the plastic or stainless steel is fine. But if it is only one super why don't you just use a tablespoon to scrape the honey out back to the foundation and strain it. A bit messy but doable. Then take your time looking for a suitable extractor.

A double sieve and enough buckets are also recommend, as is double checking that the honey gate on the extractor is shut before spilling too much honey on the floor :)

I think we all wear the "T shirt" for that one.
Also check you have removed lid from collection bucket. Just placing the metal filters on a bucket with a lid on can look as though it's ready for collection.....Doh!!

:ack2: Grrrr

And they put a UK flag on the picture too... Anything to sell their merchandise!

I didn't want to scrape the comb so I can reuse the frames but you may be right. I should do my homework and find a decent one than do a rush purchase out of anger.

:ack2: Grrrr

And they put a UK flag on the picture too... Anything to sell their merchandise!

I didn't want to scrape the comb so I can reuse the frames but you may be right. I should do my homework and find a decent one than do a rush purchase out of anger.

You can scrape the comb and reuse the frame quite easily. I did this before I had an extractor and it was easier to do than I thought. Certainly worth trying rather than rushing to buy an extractor

I note the comment re the tangential being a faff. To a point true, esp living in the South with no heather.

HOWEVER. If you live in a heather area or are likely to migrate to it then a Tangential may be the way to go especially if you can convert to or have a change over to a radial set up.

It's the wee issues that catch out and cost so dear.

PH

Easipet/Easibee have a manual 6 frame radial stainless steel extractor for £275 (I have no connection with them, other than being a satisfied customer). They sell through their website and Ebay, just search easibee, and are in the UK (Bow in Devon).

This is the same as the one I bought from Thornes during the summer. The metal supports in the bottom are a bit thin but they do work ok. If they had made it just a couple of inches wider you could have fit four standard super frames in it instead of two. You'll need to put it on something. The mechanism seems sound and the lid fits, not that I used it, also it doesn't shake around much probably because it's a hand crank and you'll stop when it gets too great.

I'm happy with mine and it will probably see me out as I have no intention of going above three hives. Even if all the hives had two supers on I reckon I could get all the honey extracted in two to three hours including de-capping and regular draining.

I have one like this .. Millet has a similar one as well ... bit bigger but not bad for the money. Had to fiddle a bit with mine when I got it but it works fine. Comes from Germany but probably made in the far east - shipped in from Germany and I could not believe how quickly mine arrived.

With a bit of modification will take a 14 x 12 brood frame and it will do radial or tangential for super frames (shallows for the purists !).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless...238933?hash=item5664f92c95:g:viQAAOSw3xJVeATe

I have one like this .. Millet has a similar one as well ... bit bigger but not bad for the money. Had to fiddle a bit with mine when I got it but it works fine. Comes from Germany but probably made in the far east - shipped in from Germany and I could not believe how quickly mine arrived.

With a bit of modification will take a 14 x 12 brood frame and it will do radial or tangential for super frames (shallows for the purists !).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless...238933?hash=item5664f92c95:g:viQAAOSw3xJVeATe

I bought one the same a few months ago. Works great, no regrets.

I think with stainless extractors available new at this price, (or less for smaller ones) then buying your own makes more sense than waiting to borrow from a club.
You can now buy a stainless steel 4 frame extractor that will do a perfectly good job for roughly the price of one hive. I doubt that was possible 15-20 years ago.

One of the reviews says:
Honey Spinner
I am very pleased with the Honey Spinner, it is well made ,sturdy, only problem for me was I thought it would take the National Jumbo frames, but it doesn't.

Perhaps you could enlighten the rest as to how it will take a 14x12?

The man who uses a 14x12 deep brood chamber as a honey super has such a physique that he can make any extractor fit any frame size he wants.

Back