EFB in Scotland

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
USELESS INFO
I import from four queen suppliers mainly Slovenia that supply me 200/300 queens at a time fortnightly, Delivered on the date given,and all at once, I have posted many times where they come from.
There service and queens are excellent and superb.
Mike,
You must have been joking again as Bee Base statistics show something completely different. It shows five batches and a total of 430 queens. At best I can only say that you appear to have made an inaccurate statement........
Best regards
Norton.

NORTON
Are you disbelieving me?? Do you doubt my word? Do you think I’m lying?
Are you prepared to put money on it.
I will show recites for over 600 imported queens from queen breeders in Slovenia for 2009?

IN return for an apology you send an extra 100 queens free as a small bet to be delivered this year. WHY

Acording to the Beebase IMPORT REPORT you ant sold much in the uk

All the best mike

Last edited:
Having met him, and gambled with him, and seen the size of his purchase invoices file .... I'll have a side bet on Mike.

How to ruin two business on one thread. Fascinating.

Another superb example of straying off thread. This is meant to be EFB i8n Scotland not hand bags at dawn.

PH

Another superb example of straying off thread. This is meant to be EFB i8n Scotland not hand bags at dawn.
PH

I think it's all fair comment. Finman, Norton and mikethebee are all saying that AMM is unsuitable in Scotland atm because of a susceptibility to EFB. They all suggest re-queening with a non-AMM type.

Whilst Norton and mikethebee are both dealers, presumably Finman doesn't have any financial axe to grind, and has 40 yrs beekeeping experience and expertise.

Regarding ruining businesses, I think that is very unlikely to be caused by this thread. More probably, ruin or success will be the result of the proprietors long term business methods.

I don't know Norton, but mikethebee (EasyBee) does seem to be shipping lorry-loads (literally) of bees and queens to Scotland at the moment. It hardly seems ruinous.

In my opinion, suppression of information about who does what, is not helpful to new beekeepers, and sweeping dirt under the carpet only serves to veil matters which would be better openly discussed with an opportunity for reasonable debate.

You old hands know the score. We newer beeks must learn as best we can.

Last edited:
AMM unsuitable in Scotland. For goodness sake what a load of utter rubbish.

PH

AMM unsuitable in Scotland. For goodness sake what a load of utter rubbish.

PH

I'll second that.
There is more to beekeeping than succeptibility to EFB if that is in fact the case.

I have no knowledge of any information that suggests that AMM is any more susceptible to EFB than any other race. Which is not to say that there is not any.

PH

Well we seem to have opposing opinion from experienced practitioners.

This is where I feel debate is useful, and often one must look carefully at the advice and the advisors to uncover the sometimes unspoken facts.

Are any Regional or Seasonal Bee Inspectors able to comment on this forum ?

I think it's all fair comment. Finman, Norton and mikethebee are all saying that AMM is unsuitable in Scotland atm because of a susceptibility to EFB. They all suggest re-queening with a non-AMM type.

It would be interesting to see what Bickerstaffes think as they sell many types of queen to Scotland including AMM type.

Would they advise another queen type over AMM ?

I wouldn't give too hoots for their opinion Admin based in Liverpool as they are.

I just hate sweeping derogatory statements based as far as I can see on nothing much at all.

Just checked Rutner on this and he states that Carnica is pretty low on AFB infections but does not state any susceptibility of AMM for disease. It's not mentioned.

PH

Last edited:
So what part of the planet would one need to live on to have an opinion,obviously not Liverpool?

Last edited:
I wouldn't give too hoots for their opinion Admin based in Liverpool as they are.
PH

Does this statement apply to everyone based in Liverpool ?

I just hate sweeping derogatory statements based as far as I can see on nothing much at all.
PH

What is the basis of your derogatory opinion of occupants of the Liverpool locale ?

:confused:

Just checked Rutner on this and he states that Carnica is pretty low on AFB infections but does not state any susceptibility of AMM for disease. It's not mentioned.

PH

Hello,
The majority of bees in E Scotland are AMM and this outbreak just confirms one of the weak points of this type of bee. I have seen lots of EFB in other parts of the UK where they were using AMM types as well.
Finman is correct in advising to change stock.
Best regards
Norton.

It's difficult to argue against first hand experience and observation such as this. ( you're not from Liverpool are you Norton ? )

Does anyone know of any reliable data, such as a chart of EFB locations and bee types for the last 5 years, say ?

I suppose someone will tell me this data is a secret !

I hav no opinion on the worth or otherwise of the denezins of Liverpool. My comment was addressed to the likely hood of their having much in depth knowledge of AMM. They retail them out of Greece. They do not produce them locally.

PH

So who exactly does produce them locally,and sells the queens.

Here we go... just to keep the pot simmering....

.....The Italians are considered good housekeepers. Quite a few strains are comparatively resistant to European Foulbrood (EFB). Their resistance to EFB is a major reason why they replaced black bees......

From a Penn State University document found here: http://maarec.cas.psu.edu/bkcd/startkeeping/starting.html

Does anyone know of any reliable data, such as a chart of EFB locations and bee types for the last 5 years, say ?

I suppose someone will tell me this data is a secret !

I doubt that this data exists, but it would be an interesting study to compile- bee types against yields/disease etc etc. it would be difficult to get anything meaningful, due to the large number of hybrids prevalent, but it must be possible to diagnose to what degree a bee has elements of AMM (for example) within it. for example, you can still see the labrador in a labrador cross...

Milk yields for cattle are a widely quoted statistics, why not something similar for bees?

I'm not sure I understand your post Hivemaker but to the best of my knowledge there is no commercial supplier of AMM in the UK, Native AMM that is.

PH

Latest posts

Back