Double crown board boards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For those who dont want poly anyhing in their hives, there is a "wood solution". Double crownboards . Seal up any hole in them and put them on so there is a bee space between the boards. The bee space between the boards should stop convection currents because its is so small for the temperature difference.

For those who dont want poly anyhing in their hives, there is a "wood solution". Double crownboards . Seal up any hole in them and put them on so there is a bee space between the boards. The bee space between the boards should stop convection currents because its is so small for the temperature difference.
I think I understand Derek, so it acts similar to double glazing?

Didn't people used to use bags of straw and/or wood shavings on top of a standard crown board too? I'm sure I've heard of that, but I've never known anyone to do it.

James

Didn't people used to use bags of straw and/or wood shavings on top of a standard crown board too? I'm sure I've heard of that, but I've never known anyone to do it.

James
This guy writes of using oven dried sphagnum moss

I think I understand Derek, so it acts similar to double glazing?
yes a bit like it but actually a lot more effective. Its because for two horizontal plates, with an air gap, and a temperature difference, the air gap has to be bigger than a certain size for convection to start. If I have do the calcs right, bee space is very close:10mm is good for 19 C temp difference between the inside surfaces .9mm 24c difference 8mm 33C difference

James
wood shavings /sawdust is effective but messy. I tested it back in 2013 on a warre hive. (not with bees but instrumentation)

but is that made from poly what its name? Some folks have an aversion to it.
Extruded polystyrene rigid insulation. Aversion to it? I guess some do. I've used is for at least 40 years...replacing shavings that needed to be replaced every autumn. The foam is separated from the bees...above the crown board with feed hole closed with duct tape. I wonder why the aversion? Two crown boards? Overkill in my opinion.

Extruded polystyrene rigid insulation. Aversion to it? I guess some do. I've used is for at least 40 years...replacing shavings that needed to be replaced every autumn. The foam is separated from the bees...above the crown board with feed hole closed with duct tape. I wonder why the aversion? Two crown boards? Overkill in my opinion.

I'm not sure the aversion is so much its presence in the hive or its effectiveness as the environmental costs of its production and eventual disposal.

James

I get asked for alternatives to plastic foams all the time. The rationalism goes something like plastics in the ocean bad, plastics mean CO2 and are doubly bad, bees good! Therefore must not use plastic with bees. The actual number on life time CO2 emissions per kg of honey or colony year show Polystyrene hives are better than wooden ones. But we are not talking hard facts and numbers but peoples "likes" and "dislikes"

James
I have put a supers full of straw on hives before above the crown board.
Seemed like a sensible thing to do.
Good for the smoker in spring too!

If what you are looking for is something similar to plastic foams in a natural version, the cork or bark of "quercus suber" should be highlighted.
just as light, waterproof, biodegradable and with a similar value of thermal resistance.

Is wool not used ? can't imagine it is that expensive, I know there were stories about farmers dumping it a few years ago as price they were getting for it was so low. Would probably need an initial treatment/disinfectant.

Is wool not used ? can't imagine it is that expensive, I know there were stories about farmers dumping it a few years ago as price they were getting for it was so low. Would probably need an initial treatment/disinfectant.
I use wool on some of mine. Convenient in some ways, awkward in others but does seem to attract moisture.

I use wool on some of mine. Convenient in some ways, awkward in others but does seem to attract moisture.
I used the wool you supplied on the teaching apiary hives this winter. Works very well as an insulant but you do get condensation on the top of the wool in some hives.

Hmm, a former member on here was adamant that wool was perfectly dry. To be honest, I have no doubt that wool fibres are waterproof but it's the gaps inbetween that tend to hold water.
Having spent many a day out in the driving rain dressed in tweed from head to knee (with wool stockings from knee to toe) I've often been surprised how heavy it becomes and how much water I bring into the house at the end of the day.

Latest posts

Back