Double brood to 14x12

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chalkie

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5+
Not opened up the hive yet but when i fed over winter there where bees in the centre of both boxes, my plan is to get them into 14x12 with new frames, what is the best way and when should i do this, still bloody cold here.
thanks

Been through the hives today (temp 21c) the double brood only had brood and eggs in the top box and plenty off stores so removed the bottom box.
Was a bit suprised as to only see a frame of brood and around a frame of eggs at differant stages and no emerging brood.
With this new info when and how would be best to change to 14x12.

My second hive on single brood was in the same stages of development, queen wasn't spotted in either.

Just done a quick search on here for bailey change and not much info came up.
If i remove stores to re-place with poly dummies how much should i leave them with and should i feed so they draw the foundation out, if i do feed is some of it used for stores which will take up valuable laying space :confused:
thanks

Just done a quick search on here for bailey change and not much info came up.
If i remove stores to re-place with poly dummies how much should i leave them with and should i feed so they draw the foundation out, if i do feed is some of it used for stores which will take up valuable laying space :confused:
thanks

I've made some dummies, plan is to put 14x12 on top of old brood with 6 new frames and dummies either side with queen excluder on, do i feed or not.

Any chance of a reply to this, want to get it done this weekend.
thanks

Already double brood, so a strong colony?. Collecting nectar hand over fist? More likely need supers than feeding, and who wants sugar syrup in with the honey at this time of the year? Nuff said?

Regards, RAB

Already double brood, so a strong colony?. Collecting nectar hand over fist? More likely need supers than feeding, and who wants sugar syrup in with the honey at this time of the year? Nuff said?

Regards, RAB

Hi rab,
there only on single brood now as i removed bottom box in post 2

Latest posts

Back