Dark wax

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazyhorse

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I’ve just rendered a load of wax. However it is still very dark in colour. Looks like treacle!

I’ve done it multiple times now and always finish with the same dark brown with no gum underneath.
How do I make it golden and clear? I’ve tried pillow cases, paint strainers, etc I can see the dark sandy dust in the wax but it passes through all the filters…
Do I need to bleach it in the sun?

If it's overheated then you won't filter it clean. Yes...it bleaches in the sun. I did some. I poured the wax into thin layers and left it out for a few months

Heated it gentle in a double boiler then poured it into kettle boiled water in a pan.
So it wasn’t boiling water..

I’m guessing it was old Brood comb as it’s so dark..

I’ve got around 14kg some has gone lighter gold..
I pour it into 1llb bread tins so it looks like gold bullion

If - if - wax is clean enough for candles to burn without smoking even if they are darker than the show bench requires, I really don't understand why people are mad keen for paleness, showing aside. People like the colour of my candles because they are darker and different, and have been happy with the burn too. I can't help suspecting this is all a hangover from times when refined whiteness was held to be purest and best in things like bread, sugar, cloth. ( ...And let's not even go there in regard to other matters...)

Hi crazy horse I had much the same problem with some of my wax it still looks darker I've resound the fact it won't change, I suggest you buy a meat thermometer, I used j cloth and still after 4 times of filtering its still not great.
I tryed to keep the temp at 70 - 75c for filtering preferred 70c.

Hi crazy horse I had much the same problem with some of my wax it still looks darker I've resound the fact it won't change, I suggest you buy a meat thermometer, I used j cloth and still after 4 times of filtering its still not great.
I tryed to keep the temp at 70 - 75c for filtering preferred 70c.
J-Cloths in a single layer won't remove all the impurities and staining in Brood frame wax ... you need a better filter medium - the J cloth weave is too wide. As Dani says either lint or I use old flannette sheets.

If it is overheated then it will turn dark ... ideally you want 65 degrees as a maximum ... 75 degrees is pushing it ...

As Dani says you can bleach it by exposure to sunlight but it takes a while. You can chemically bleach it (if you just want to use if for candles) with Hydrogen Peroxide. Dave Cushman has the method here - although I've never used it.

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/waxdecont.html

J-Cloths in a single layer won't remove all the impurities
True. I use nappy liners and even double layers allow tiny particles through, and even slightly overheated liquid wax will melt them. I've yet to try biodegradeable liners.

Overheating is the easiest way to darken wax.

Ok so I did melt a 2kg block in a pan of water the other week, it was so thick the water boiled and then the wax exploded. However the wax that was left was nearly golden!
But I fear the missus won’t like the exploding wax method!!

J-Cloths in a single layer won't remove all the impurities and staining in Brood frame wax ... you need a better filter medium - the J cloth weave is too wide. As Dani says either lint or I use old flannette sheets.

If it is overheated then it will turn dark ... ideally you want 65 degrees as a maximum ... 75 degrees is pushing it ...

As Dani says you can bleach it by exposure to sunlight but it takes a while. You can chemically bleach it (if you just want to use if for candles) with Hydrogen Peroxide. Dave Cushman has the method here - although I've never used it.

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/waxdecont.html
The Hydrogen Peroxide trick worked a treat on some chocolate coloured wax I rendered a while back.

In addition to Hydrogen Peroxide, Oxalic Acid might be an option
I haven't tryed it my self. "Boiling the wax" put me off.
@Crayzyhorse might give it a try tho ...:)
Snipped from "Wax Book,pdf":
1671747358511.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back