Near Miss

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pargyle

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
It looks as though we are going to be getting some more hens …’Er indoors has seen some sort of blue ones that she’s taken a fancy to. It’s now some months since Camilla, the last of our last flock, fell off her perch – literally – she was at least five years old and possibly nearer six – we weren’t sure as she was a rescue hen – she hadn’t laid an egg for years but she was part of the family and I was forbidden to take her off the payroll. On her last day I went to let her out of her coop in the morning and she had fallen off her perch and was clearly incapable of getting up so she passed away peacefully under my broom handle and I announced to ‘Er indoors that she had died in her sleep.

The run has been empty for awhile and the weeds and seeds from the henfood had filled the run – partly because a wren had built a nest under the roof of the feeding station and had reared two clutches of chicks and we didn’t want to disturb the nest. The second clutch has now fledged and I was tasked with weeding the run.

Having completed the weeding I requested sign off. ‘Er indoors satisfied with the weed free and well raked run declared that the timber of the run was in need of decoration and required painting before the new hens arrive .. I remonstrated that the hens would not give a toss whether Cluckingham Palace was painted and I got that look that said ‘you have misread an edict for a suggestion’– think again’. I said that I had some of the original paint and could touch the framework up and again I got that look - Although the words that came out from the Painting Superintendent were ‘ I never liked that brown colour what other colours have you got ?’

I said that I wasn’t sure but we could have a look in my paint store – A large Keter plastic mini shed where I store my painting stuff and spare tins of paint .. completely forgetting that I had secreted two new Paynes Poly hives in there.

Big mistake .. as I opened the doors to the container with the Grand Inquisitor of Beehive Stocks at my shoulder she said ‘ Is that ANOTHER beehive ?’ No,just an old one I was storing in here out of the way. ‘Looks like a NEW BEEHIVE to me’. Unfortunately she appears to have learned the difference between a new beehive and an old one – this is a development I had not anticipated. Fortunately, she does not appear to have yet learned the difference between one new beehive and TWO new beehives stacked one on top of each other.

She was more interested in the tin of green Ducksback in the container ‘That’s a better colour’ she said. I told her it was no use as it was water based woodstain and was only for raw rough sawn fences and sheds – and there was that look again - so I succumbed under the withering gaze of the Henmaster General and set about repainting the Palace of Henminster. Rather unsuccessfully as it happens – the existing brown stain shows through the green ducksback in a sort of random camouflage way.

An hour or two of fruitless coating and recoating made little difference and when ‘Er indoors arrived outdoors to inspect the less than perfect semi camouflage finish I rather felt that my efforts would not be rewarded with any degree of approval … ‘See – that’s much better – the green blends into the garden more than the brown’ she tells me .. After 48 years of marriage I think I've discovered she may be green/brown colourblind.

Definite near miss …

Last edited:
Nicely written Philip, and I can sympathise with the "withering" look....... where do they learn it?
Good luck with the new flock but we always have to save a flock of rescue girls "to give them a new life". It's lovely to see them come from potential exhibits in the shelves of a Sainsbury's fridge - without a decent feather in sight - to a ball of beautifully preened feathers. Heart warming!

PS... regarding the buckets we bought..... I've had two handles snap when the buckets were fully loaded with 30lb. I tape my lids down so no loss of contents but beware!

Nicely written Philip, and I can sympathise with the "withering" look....... where do they learn it?
Good luck with the new flock but we always have to save a flock of rescue girls "to give them a new life". It's lovely to see them come from potential exhibits in the shelves of a Sainsbury's fridge - without a decent feather in sight - to a ball of beautifully preened feathers. Heart warming!

PS... regarding the buckets we bought..... I've had two handles snap when the buckets were fully loaded with 30lb. I tape my lids down so no loss of contents but beware!

Yes... I had one snap - meant to mention it on here. It's a weakness in the design and I wonder if they have improved it ? Or if there is something that could be done to reinforce the handle. Still a good shape for storage though. You might consider bumping your old thread on the buckets as there are a lot of Newbies on here who will soon be looking for new buckets to store their crop.

The new hens she wants will be the first ones we have had that are not rescue hens - you are right - it is very rewarding to see them go from staggering featherless egg machines that don't even know what grass is to 'proper' hens with a personality and to see them delving into their genes to start and behave like hens should.

Actually, I've just remembered - that's not right - we once had two Sussex Whites that were so unmanagreable that they became Fox fodder one Sunday afternoon when we could not get them back into the run and had to leave them unattended in the garden whilst we went out for an hour. Hopefully her chosen new breed will be more manageable than they were ... I'll have to ask the Chief Hen whether she has checked their characteristics before we get them and find they are the hens from hell.

Last edited:
Hi,
Have you ever kept quail?
My other half decided we must have some in case through lockdown, we can't get eggs - even though we live in a village where there are free range eggs for sale.
Anyhow, a hutch affair was invested in and I dutifully built it and because of lockdown we couldn't get any quail!!!
it currently acts as a storage container for old plant pots....
I wondered if you considered quail worth keeping?

Excellent story by the way, really amusing.

Hi,
My other half decided we must have some in case through lockdown, we can't get eggs - even though we live in a village where there are free range eggs for sale.
Anyhow, a hutch affair was invested in and I dutifully built it and because of lockdown we couldn't get any quail!!!

No ... but my wife has often hankered after keeping them .. depends what you want to do with them - you need a good few quails eggs for a decent fry up but they are definitely a product that good restaurants will take from you and if you are up for it .. meat production quails are equally desirable.

If it's eggs you are after in a relatively small space - have a look at bantams - more available as Point of Lay than quails.

Yes... I had one snap - meant to mention it on here. It's a weakness in the design and I wonder if they have improved it ? .

I think it's because the handles are straight not curved, I use rectangular buckets to hold hive tools and washing soda at each apiary and had a few handles snap - usully when carrying them full of hot water and washing soda from the Kitchen!!
We planned to have a new batch of rescue hens early this year - had to cancel the first collection as it clashed with the tradex so we put our order in for the next one...........which was cancelled due to covid.
They're sending them out again now, I'm just waiting for the email as they kept us on the waiting list.

At the same time that their hearing is sharpened to the point where they can hear a male buttock hitting a seat cushion from anywhere in the house, which leads to the inevitable "Darling, could you just..."

At the same time that their hearing is sharpened to the point where they can hear a male buttock hitting a seat cushion from anywhere in the house, which leads to the inevitable "Darling, could you just..."

Funny that, I tend to find the male sense of hearing is generally switched off by default, unless of course you're talking about them, in which case they can hear a whisper at a hundred yards! ;-)

Hi,

Excellent story by the way, really amusing.

I kept quail for three years.

The good news is you get quail eggs, have fun incubating eggs and people like them as they are fluffy..

The bad news is no eggs from October to March (at least here), some varieties - the native ones - are unmanageable as they do VTOL escapes - and peck you hard..and hide in undergrowth to be eaten by foxes/cats and the big fat gentle ones that lay largeish eggs don't live long...

I kept quail for three years.

The good news is you get quail eggs, have fun incubating eggs and people like them as they are fluffy..

The bad news is no eggs from October to March (at least here), some varieties - the native ones - are unmanageable as they do VTOL escapes - and peck you hard..and hide in undergrowth to be eaten by foxes/cats and the big fat gentle ones that lay largeish eggs don't live long...

Thanks for the feedback - we’ve decided not to keep them. I’ve got a big enough challenge with the bees and if my swarm management doesn’t improve there would be quail down my neighbours chimney in no time....

Pargyle why did you weed the run surely the chucks would have done it and enjoyed it there’s few better at clearing whole veg patches when your backs turned for a moment:(

It looks as though we are going to be getting some more hens …’Er indoors has seen some sort of blue ones that she’s taken a fancy to. It’s now some months since Camilla, the last of our last flock, fell off her perch – literally – she was at least five years old and possibly nearer six – we weren’t sure as she was a rescue hen – she hadn’t laid an egg for years but she was part of the family and I was forbidden to take her off the payroll. On her last day I went to let her out of her coop in the morning and she had fallen off her perch and was clearly incapable of getting up so she passed away peacefully under my broom handle and I announced to ‘Er indoors that she had died in her sleep.

The run has been empty for awhile and the weeds and seeds from the henfood had filled the run – partly because a wren had built a nest under the roof of the feeding station and had reared two clutches of chicks and we didn’t want to disturb the nest. The second clutch has now fledged and I was tasked with weeding the run.

Having completed the weeding I requested sign off. ‘Er indoors satisfied with the weed free and well raked run declared that the timber of the run was in need of decoration and required painting before the new hens arrive .. I remonstrated that the hens would not give a toss whether Cluckingham Palace was painted and I got that look that said ‘you have misread an edict for a suggestion’– think again’. I said that I had some of the original paint and could touch the framework up and again I got that look - Although the words that came out from the Painting Superintendent were ‘ I never liked that brown colour what other colours have you got ?’

I said that I wasn’t sure but we could have a look in my paint store – A large Keter plastic mini shed where I store my painting stuff and spare tins of paint .. completely forgetting that I had secreted two new Paynes Poly hives in there.

Big mistake .. as I opened the doors to the container with the Grand Inquisitor of Beehive Stocks at my shoulder she said ‘ Is that ANOTHER beehive ?’ No,just an old one I was storing in here out of the way. ‘Looks like a NEW BEEHIVE to me’. Unfortunately she appears to have learned the difference between a new beehive and an old one – this is a development I had not anticipated. Fortunately, she does not appear to have yet learned the difference between one new beehive and TWO new beehives stacked one on top of each other.

She was more interested in the tin of green Ducksback in the container ‘That’s a better colour’ she said. I told her it was no use as it was water based woodstain and was only for raw rough sawn fences and sheds – and there was that look again - so I succumbed under the withering gaze of the Henmaster General and set about repainting the Palace of Henminster. Rather unsuccessfully as it happens – the existing brown stain shows through the green ducksback in a sort of random camouflage way.

An hour or two of fruitless coating and recoating made little difference and when ‘Er indoors arrived outdoors to inspect the less than perfect semi camouflage finish I rather felt that my efforts would not be rewarded with any degree of approval … ‘See – that’s much better – the green blends into the garden more than the brown’ she tells me .. After 48 years of marriage I think I've discovered she may be green/brown colourblind.

Definite near miss …

haha .. bless ... I have 5 hens so have plenty of eggs to give you if you ever venture to Sutton (fair swap for you excellent sweet potatoes that are doing fine )

Pargyle why did you weed the run surely the chucks would have done it and enjoyed it there’s few better at clearing whole veg patches when your backs turned for a moment:(

When 'er indoors says .. weed the hen run .. who am I to argue ... any suggestions that the hens could do the job for me would have been met with anlther one of those 'it's another excuse for not obeying' looks ...

haha .. bless ... I have 5 hens so have plenty of eggs to give you if you ever venture to Sutton (fair swap for you excellent sweet potatoes that are doing fine )

Mine sweet potatoes are going berserk ...if foliage is anything to go by I should have several kilos of them ... although some pessimist at the allotment told me that he had exactly the same a few years ago and didn't get a single tuber ! I live in hope ...he's wrong ! I've got 12 plants in four 70 litre tubs (3 in each for those who may be arithmetically challenged).

When 'er indoors says .. weed the hen run .. who am I to argue ... any suggestions that the hens could do the job for me would have been met with anlther one of those 'it's another excuse for not obeying' looks ...

Our hens used to love it when I was mowing the lawn - I'd always dump a load or two of cuttings over the run for them.
Getting our new rescues tomorrow, I haven't bothered weeding the run :D

Our hens used to love it when I was mowing the lawn - I'd always dump a load or two of cuttings over the run for them.
Getting our new rescues tomorrow, I haven't bothered weeding the run :D

If it wasn't for the lock down I'd send 'er indoors round to give some instructions to SWMBO as she's clearly failing in the hen run weeding department ! Good luck with the new chooks .. I love it when they arrive and they don't know what grass is ...doesn't take them long to get the hang of it though.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:
Heart warming first few days when they start to explore their new alien environment

Latest posts

Back