Cutting Off a Queens Mandibles

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't see the point because as Finman says a decent queen can give you more than enough brood for the season - it's how you use the brood to best effect that will give you your rewards.

As for squeamishness, I don't think any beekeeper can be hypocritical about clipping wings unless they can guarantee they have never squished a queen, squashed a worker or removed a queen cell.

Don't see the point because as Finman says a decent queen can give you more than enough brood for the season - it's how you use the brood to best effect that will give you your rewards.

As for squeamishness, I don't think any beekeeper can be hypocritical about clipping wings unless they can guarantee they have never squished a queen, squashed a worker or removed a queen cell.

No ...There IS a difference ... it's one thing extinguising life in a creature (and yes I kill rats and occasionally queen bees) but it's something else mutilating a creature and condemning it to a life without part of a natural appendage - just to provide the beekeeper with a few days grace if they decide to swarm.

No ...There IS a difference ... it's one thing extinguising life in a creature (and yes I kill rats and occasionally queen bees) but it's something else mutilating a creature and condemning it to a life without part of a natural appendage - just to provide the beekeeper with a few days grace if they decide to swarm.

I'm sorry, but it's absolute rubbish comparing clipping the tip of a wing off to cutting mandibles. Do you believe in banning wing clipping in chickens?
I would have no issue with docking a spaniel's or terrier's tail - but to slit its tongue to stop it barking, pull its teeth or break its jaw to stop it fighting!That's a different matter.
But then again, it's something else for the hand wringers to lose sleep over and feel superior to others because they don't believe in bothering with any kind of colony management.

I like it when the BBKA and natural beekeepers are subject to torrents of criticism on the same subject for exactly opposite reasons:paparazzi:

One for advocating something and the other for advocating nothing!

(Edit I started writing "torrents of abuse" but "torrents of criticism" seems fairer )

I'm sorry, but it's absolute rubbish comparing clipping the tip of a wing off to cutting mandibles. Do you believe in banning wing clipping in chickens?
I would have no issue with docking a spaniel's or terrier's tail - but to slit its tongue to stop it barking, pull its teeth or break its jaw to stop it fighting!That's a different matter.
But then again, it's something else for the hand wringers to lose sleep over and feel superior to others because they don't believe in bothering with any kind of colony management.

A bit like the custom of maiming the village blacksmith to make sure he doesn't runaway...

As someone who does a bit of metalwork and having had an operation on the leg to get rid of my limp, I don't hold with wing clipping.

Last edited:
quite a few of my ancestors were blacksmiths, one of them, the great Arnallt Ffwrchwaith had both of his wings ripped off by the local squire. Poor bugger was doomed to a life of walking around in ever decreasing circles after that

Clipping wings is quite different, Fatbee. It is a deliberate act of mutilation and so quite different from the accidental crushing of a bee of any kind.

So it has nothing to do with hypocrisy at all. If you choose to clip a queen, that's your choice. Don't start telling others how they should feel about it.

There appears little editorial control on BBKA news, articles are published on an obscure method and then our one and two year beekeepers read it and take it as gospel

they i have to sort out the mess for them, i can see heads and antennae
being cut of perfectly viable queens

The only solace is that most of them can never find their Queens

There is no editorial control on BBKA News from what I can see. There's a lot of filler and it's very much a vanity project for certain individuals.

If the BBKA censored the articles some of you would be up in arms about that. I write for the BBKA mag sometimes and would not appreciate editorial censorship . Anyway the article mentioning trimming the mandibles was written by secretary of the scottish BA not by any BBKA official and was mainly concentrating on describing the two queen system advocated by the late great Ron Brown . At least it got you thinking and debating.

At least it got you thinking and debating.

Yes, quite right. About how far some people are prepared to go, and how much damage they can do to the queen before she'll stop laying.

Not a good thing, in my book.

There is no editorial control on BBKA News from what I can see. There's a lot of filler and it's very much a vanity project for certain individuals.

Hmmmm

If the BBKA censored the articles some of you would be up in arms about that.

Censored my A... elbow - shouldn't have been published in the first place

If the BBKA censored the articles some of you would be up in arms about that. I write for the BBKA mag sometimes and would not appreciate editorial censorship . Anyway the article mentioning trimming the mandibles was written by secretary of the scottish BA not by any BBKA official and was mainly concentrating on describing the two queen system advocated by the late great Ron Brown . At least it got you thinking and debating.

Publicising barbarity and suggestion others might try it - abhorrent!

The trouble with not checking articles - not censoring - is you end up with articles advocating things that have been superceded 50 years ago or that are just bad practice.

That is OK if you audience is knowledgeable. BUT when half your membership - or more - joined within the past 6 years - it is not acceptable.##

A bit strange given the BBKA concerns - and articles - about not using unapproved medicines where they are quite happy to publish articles serving the requirements of other organisations.

edit:
## a lot of new members do their own research. But a lot appear to be unaware of their own ignorance and don't. (in my limited experience)

Last edited:
oh my.
Beekeeping is a weird and wonderful thing.

Back