Cutting Off a Queens Mandibles

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cussword

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Still just the 1
The above topic was in the September BBKA news, pages 313-314. You can have two queens in one hive. (Not mother and daughter.) I have read about this previously somewhere on this forum.
One of our members resigned because he said that the BBKA was promoting this practice.

What do you think?

Sorry but I would consider that practice extremely excessive and unacceptable
probably practiced by neanderthals

But never in a BS National Hive ( Best WRC of course)

By neanderthals do you mean dinosaurs?

Yeghes da

Atrocious in my opinion.

PS the BBKA endorse this?

The last words in the article are;" Why not try it next season and let us know how you get on" As it was in our magazine I would say, yes.

The article was written by Tony Harris NDB, Scottish Expert Beemaster, Moray. Under The Heading; Multiple Queen Colonies.

Last edited:
Mind you, I'm not surprised the BBKA endorse it - it's mainly due to the fact that any written reference less than a hundred years old has been burnt as a heresy!!

There appears little editorial control on BBKA news, articles are published on an obscure method and then our one and two year beekeepers read it and take it as gospel

they i have to sort out the mess for them, i can see heads and antennae
being cut of perfectly viable queens

The only solace is that most of them can never find their Queens

:iagree:
And I'm not sorry to disagree with the practice.
I see that this line of 'research' has been going on for some time (2008?). So much for natural selection. I think that clipping queens is unnecessary mutilation, let alone this.

Last edited:
I am glad that wing clipping has now been mentioned. It matters not if it is mandibles or wings being clipped for the benefit of the beekeeper, both are mutilation. The practice of one whilst condemning the other has to be seen as double standards and hypocrisy.

Back