Convincing a sceptic on honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadnlad

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
A few and some more
An Asian owner of a shop I frequent on a weekly basis, is adamant that all 'honey' contains sugar syrup !

I have given him a jar of my own to try, which he agreed tasted lovely, but how much sugar syrup did I add ?
There appears to be a mindset (from beekeeping practises back in Pakistan) that all honey is adulterated with syrup
I have tried to convince him that we don't do that here, but he is sceptical to say the least

He suggested the best test was that adulterated honey would freeze, but that real honey wouldn't - but the 16-18% water content of mine would surely freeze

I will show him my results from the honey testing scheme, but are there any other ways of convincing this sceptic ?

I supply an Asian corner shop that is 100yrds from some of my hives. The owner can not get enough of the honey I supply and extols it's virtues to any customer who will listen.
I've shown him the hives and let him know when I'm extracting but if your shop keeper is so sceptical because of practises at home I fear anything you do may be met with a negative attitude.
I agree showing him the Honey Regs is a good idea as it shows the extent we as beekeepers go to prevent adulteration. It may be interesting to show him some links here which show how passionate British beekeepers are about our honey.
I think you have a job on your hands but good luck!

Some people say the Earth is flat, some people say there is an afterlife and some people say that taking honey and keeping bees is disrespectful of bees;you cannot change their minds because unlike reasonable people these folk 'know' they are right and everyone else is wrong. You are not going the change this fellow's mind :beatdeadhorse5: and perhaps you would do better substituting some of the honey you sell to him with sugar syrup which would make him happy and you would get twice the money for it. :)

Nothing sad to say.

Extracting proves nothing as he will say (rightly) so what the syrup is already there.

Regs? LOL what are they worth in most other countries? The weight of the paper frankly.

If he is that convinced honey is a cheat then he cannot be changed over. Move on.

PH

I am sure some of us unintentionally end up with sugar in our honey from feeding in the spring - probably giving too much, too quickly. For that reason I do not feed in spring, despite always having an early OSR flow.
I build my colonies up by uniting or adding brood from the overwintered nucs, which normally take off like a rocket

Unsure if the OSR flow has has any sugar in which i doubt as feeding is finished at the the end of Autumn which contains thymol..up to date none of my spring honey has a thymol aroma..come the second flow it is 100% guaranteed pure nectar x honey..that is unless someone is open feeding sugar in the area..we will never know..

Unsure if the OSR flow has has any sugar in which i doubt as feeding is finished at the the end of Autumn which contains thymol..up to date none of my spring honey has a thymol aroma..come the second flow it is 100% guaranteed pure nectar x honey..that is unless someone is open feeding sugar in the area..we will never know..

Millet, I was referring to the sometimes recommended technique, of feeding with sugar, early on in the year, in order to boost bee numbers ready for an early flow like OSR.

If the brood box is being manipulated properly and the supers are (obviously) not on there is no risk of sugar in the supers.

This is where the brood and a half gets really problematical.

PH

stop wasting your effort move on life's too short

I am sure there is sugar in a lot of honey. Some report big honey crops in spring, even when the weather has been awful.

The sugar content is primarily down to the honesty and skill of the beekeeper

The story's of green honey during WWII spring to mind.

I was referring to the sometimes recommended technique, of feeding with sugar, early on in the year, in order to boost bee numbers ready for an early flow like OSR.

Hmmm - round here it's the non thinking beekeepers who pile on the syrup every spring just because the BBKA tell them they should - no OSR anywhere near here and the bees are up to strength for the first viable crop without any interference from the beekeeper.

An Asian owner of a shop I frequent on a weekly basis, is adamant that all 'honey' contains sugar syrup !

I have given him a jar of my own to try, which he agreed tasted lovely, but how much sugar syrup did I add ?
There appears to be a mindset (from beekeeping practises back in Pakistan) that all honey is adulterated with syrup
I have tried to convince him that we don't do that here, but he is sceptical to say the least

He suggested the best test was that adulterated honey would freeze, but that real honey wouldn't - but the 16-18% water content of mine would surely freeze

I will show him my results from the honey testing scheme, but are there any other ways of convincing this sceptic ?

Let him keep his opinion.

It's by reason of shite and rubbish that person is top of my ignore list.

PH

Back