Honey production in Corfu

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 20297

Queen Bee
Reaction score
On holiday in Corfu, we signed up for an hour's talk about bees and a tour of the production facilities of Panagiotis Vasilakis.
It was the first time I have seen professional extraction and bottling machinery, and how amazing those machines are.
Panagiotis started commercial beekeeping in 2001. As his apiaries expanded he was able to secure financial assistance from the Greek Department of Agriculture, which enabled him to establish his purpose built facility in a secluded, mountain village near the west coast of the island.
It was interesting that Panagiotis is able to define a wide range of distinctly different honeys over the year, and that his season almost never ends, with some flowers available for nectar even in winter. The visit included a tasting, which amongst others, included oak, orange/lemon, multi-floral and Arbutus...the strawberry tree. Arbutus honey is intriguing, an initial blast of Mediterranean flowers followed by a long, bitter after-taste. Oak was deliciously dark, but all the honeys tasted better than simply being sweet.
Panagiotis breeds his own queen's from Carniolan stock, and says that trying non-local bees was a failure for him.
Although I'm no expert, having admitted my beekeeping credentials, I ended up speaking more than my host, but I heartily recommend this inexpensive visit to any beekeeper visiting Corfu.
Had we been part of a large group I would have grabbed some photos, but as we had the complete attention of the owner we just stayed in the moment.

Last edited:
On holiday in Corfu, we signed up for an hour's talk about bees and a tour of the production facilities of Panagiotis Vasilakis.
It was the first time I have seen profession extraction and bottling machinery, and how amazing those machines are.
Panagiotis started commercial beekeeping in 2001. As his apiaries expanded he was able to secure financial assistance from the Greek Department of Agriculture, which enabled him to establish his purpose built facility in a secluded, mountain village near the west coast of the island.
It was interesting that Panagiotis is able to define a wide range of distinctly different honeys over the year, and that his season almost never ends, with some flowers available for nectar even in winter. The visit included a tasting, which amongst others, included oak, orange/lemon, multi-floral and Arbutus...the strawberry tree. Arbutus honey is intriguing, an initial blast of Mediterranean flowers followed by a long, bitter after-taste. Oak was deliciously dark, but all the honeys tasted better than simply being sweet.
Panagiotis breeds his own queen's from Carniolan stock, and says that trying non-local bees was a failure for him.
Although I'm no expert, having admitted my beekeeping credentials, I ended up speaking more than my host, but I heartily recommend this inexpensive visit to any beekeeper visiting Corfu.
Had we been part of a large group I would have grabbed some photos, but as we had the complete attention of the owner we just stayed in the moment.
If we go to Corfu I will try this.

My wife will kill me.

It'll be worth it.

I met Vasilakis a few years ago when passing his hives on the hill above Arillas (a gorgeous quiet holiday village) and had a chat with him. Within a few minutes he had found a veil and we were going through a hive with me in swimming shorts and a t shirt. The bees were fantastically calm and the honey lovely, with a citrus taste. I have photos somewhere.
My first introduction to the brick method of hive records
He also put out dead fish out to attract hornets
A fanatstic experience.

is fantastic island

ve a nice holidays

if you ve time try visit ''ereikousa'' (heather) small island or and ''othonoi''island both on the north of corfu/kerkyra
Maybe I got Greek names the wrong way round and I am saying his surname? We discussed that island of Erikousa, and I tasted the Heather honey....just like our Scottish honey. Erica being the Latin name for Heather genus.
Corfu is Paradise. Greece is Heaven.

Last edited:
Be very careful if visiting Corfu……………..that’s where I met my wife, you just never know what’s around the corner :oops:

Lucky you. :) I'm OK though; I holiday there with the most beautiful Cumbrian woman, who could be easily mistaken for a Corfiot, with the advantage? that I can even (almost) understand what she says. 😉

Be very careful if visiting Corfu……………..that’s where I met my wife, you just never know what’s around the corner :oops:

first holiday abroad
my first holiday abroad was to Corfu. Met a v nice boy. Wasn’t you 🤣

Interesting regards the brick method of hive records, I've been doing this for quite some time and thought it was just me ha. Thanks for the write-up sounds like a great trip worth making.

Lovely island. I walked from bottom to top one year but I had to go walking in Madeira to meet my partner

I met Vasilakis a few years ago when passing his hives on the hill above Arillas (a gorgeous quiet holiday village) and had a chat with him. Within a few minutes he had found a veil and we were going through a hive with me in swimming shorts and a t shirt. The bees were fantastically calm and the honey lovely, with a citrus taste. I have photos somewhere.
My first introduction to the brick method of hive records
He also put out dead fish out to attract hornets
A fanatstic experience.
Arillas/San Stefanos is where we spent our first few holidays. Now we love south-east to Boukari.
We've seen no active beehives around here.
One thing I will try next year is to put in some propolis screens. Having had the whole process of collecting and processing propolis explained to me, I can see the benefit of that additional product.

Last edited:
Arillas/San Stefanos is where we spent our first few holidays. Now we hope south-east to Boukari.
We've seen no active beehives around here.
One thing I will try next year is to put in some propolis screens. Having had the whole process of collecting and processing propolis explained to me, I can see the benefit of that additional product.
I have a propolis screen but took it out as the bees had no interest in it.
They were a new colony in early May and I have only just had to start using the hive tool to prise boxes open as a result of propolis.
Might put it back in next inspection. I love the stuff.

They were a new colony in early May and I have only just had to start using the hive tool to prise boxes open as a result of propolis.
When did you have the propolis screen in previously? Through the spring and summer they don't gather as much propolis, now though, as they're battening down the hatches for winter, everything's turning into a sticky gummed up mess in my hives.
It also depends on the colony/genetics - some are much more prolific propolis producers than others.

Our Greek mentor was a bit surprised when I said that most of my bees don't propolise a great deal. He implied that a tendency towards propolisation was one of the characteristics he would select in favour of. He is so conscious of the benefit that propolisation gives to the bees, he hinted that maybe my "clean" bees might not be my best bees.

After a bit more exploring, hives with active bees have been discovered in typical locations.
These appeared mainly to be nucs and there was limited bee activity compared with a comparable situation back in Scotland. Not a tidy beekeeper; there were several empty fondant bags strewn about. Great to connect with bees though.

Attachments

• 20220810_104901.jpg
    20220810_104901.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
After a bit more exploring, hives with active bees have been discovered in typical locations.
These appeared mainly to be nucs and there was limited bee activity compared with a comparable situation back in Scotland. Not a tidy beekeeper; there were several empty fondant bags strewn about. Great to connect with bees though.
I suspect if they have year round forage they may not have the 'make every second count' mentality!

When did you have the propolis screen in previously? Through the spring and summer they don't gather as much propolis, now though, as they're battening down the hatches for winter, everything's turning into a sticky gummed up mess in my hives.
It also depends on the colony/genetics - some are much more prolific propolis producers than others.
I put it in, in May so that's probably why.
Only just had to start using the hive tool.
I'll put it in again next inspection.

Latest posts

Back