cheap loft insulation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerow pete

Queen Bee
Reaction score
UK, Birmingham, Sandwell. Pork scratching Bandit c
Hive Type
National
last summer i managed to buy a shed load or should that be a loft load of fibreglass insulation at about £3 a roll at B&Q 150mm thick stuff.

i was under the impression it was subsidised by some form of government grant scheme, or some such thing, well we move tomorrow to the new dump across the road and of course there is no loft insulation in it.

every thing seams to be back to £20 a roll again.

does anyone know of any deals of late, or do we recon it will be a winter thing again?

£1 a roll from 'plumb centres' last year. Same scheme but not sure if it is still running.
E

last summer i managed to buy a shed load or should that be a loft load of fibreglass insulation at about £3 a roll at B&Q 150mm thick stuff.

i was under the impression it was subsidised by some form of government grant scheme, or some such thing, well we move tomorrow to the new dump across the road and of course there is no loft insulation in it.

every thing seams to be back to £20 a roll again.

does anyone know of any deals of late, or do we recon it will be a winter thing again?

move a 70 year old relative into the spare room, apply for a grant and get the roof and walls insulated for free

move out the 70 years relative

If you are on benefits you can get it for nothing if you look in the right places :)

As I recall there was a subsidy financed by the energy companies following a government deal a couple of years ago. It was limited to diy installers. The agreement ends this year so if you can find any supplier with remaining subsidised stocks you're in luck.

The scheme has been replaced by a far more complex one that means most of any subsidy goes to financiers, middlemen and salesmen. The idea is that you discount future reductions in your energy bills against an installation of insulation. What was a simple subsidy of materials that anyone could use as they see fit becomes a compex tie in with energy suppliers and future purchasers of your house. Oh, and it's structured for owner occupiers as far as I can recall, tenants obviously have no interest in helping themselves.

Some would put the changes down yo political dogma. I couldn't possibly comment.

Latest posts

Back