Very 'cheap' loft insulation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theeggman

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 Cedar + 5 Poly
Heads up folks!!
B&Q are selling 200mm thick loft insulation at £ 3.00 a roll that covers 5.5 mt.2. The UK Taxpayer is subsidising this, so if you could do with some more insulation in loft get in there.
If like me you're old, if you go on a Wed. you also get 10% of the price.
My thoughts are that the less that goes out through the ceiling/ roof the better.

Regards

Tim:

Jimbee,
Is that deal still on offer, Focus has gone t*ts up!!
Please look at B&Q because you're paying for it .
So if it makes financial sense then buy, if not then don't.
All I'm saying is havea look.

Regards
Tim:)

Doubtful. 20p a roll was a real bargain, even picking it up yourself, unless a long way from the outlet!

Free dlivery at the same unit cost must be better than the deal in post #1

Of course £2.70 for an OAP on a Wednesday might be better, but I doubt it if it has to be collected from more than about a mile away (unless by wheelbarrow or similar).

May only have been local B & Q offer, they had these @ £1.50 last month.
loftins.jpg

Worth asking.

Jimbee,

Please look at B&Q because you're paying for it .
)

Why look at B&Q, when the link I posted gives free delivery? B&Q requires a spend of greater the £250 to get free delivery.

Based on loft size of 40m2 and zero insulation, that = 7 rolls of 100mm and 11 rolls of 170mm £54.

18 rolls = 5 or 6 trips to collect.

We have done 3 flat roof conversion with this stuff and I still have 8 rolls left for my final project in a couple of years.

The DIY sheds regularly seem to do offers on insulation. It's probably part of some carbon-offsetting deal or something. I had about 30sqm of floor up recently to do the pipework for our new bathroom and bought a load of it for almost nothing. I've stuffed it into all the floor voids (and the walls of the bathroom and airing cupboard, too) to help reduce noise and heat loss. Seems to have made a huge difference.

James

. It's probably part of some carbon-offsetting deal or something.

Yes it is. But we all end up paying for it in the end through our higher energy bills!:eek:

Bit like the windmills some people think are great!

Yes it is. But we all end up paying for it in the end through our higher energy bills!:eek:

Bit like the windmills some people think are great!

Well, I think solar PV panels are great, but that's mostly because since I've had them mine are generating far more than my best estimates and everyone else is paying for me for the pleasure :)

James

Doubtful. 20p a roll was a real bargain, even picking it up yourself, unless a long way from the outlet!

Free dlivery at the same unit cost must be better than the deal in post #1

Of course £2.70 for an OAP on a Wednesday might be better, but I doubt it if it has to be collected from more than about a mile away (unless by wheelbarrow or similar).

wheelbarrow......nay young lad, one under each arm and onto the local bus with my over 60 Bus pass....why pay for petrol when time is of no consequence

it is even possible to take a Paynes Poly Nuc home on the Bus....just fend off the question "what is that roaring noise, have you go a cat in there?" with no just a few insects :smilielol5: ( forgetting to add the thousand after few)

it is even possible to take a Paynes Poly Nuc home on the Bus....just fend off the question "what is that roaring noise, have you go a cat in there?" with no just a few insects :smilielol5: ( forgetting to add the thousand after few)

Just don't go calling it a "nuke" within anyone's earshot.

James

I don't want/need any. Over 300mm in my roof. I was only referring to post#1 - less cost on a Wednesday for OAPs, by 10%.

less cost on a Wednesday for OAPs, by 10%.

I don't want to seem pedantic but you just need to be over 60 not necessarily an OAP and if you are over 60 your spouse is entitled to one (discount card) as well no matter what age.

and everyone else is paying for me for the pleasure :)

James

You are still paying for it through other tax,es.

and dont be too smug! Future FIT have already been cut and I suspect back dated will also be cut as well in the future.

I don't want/need any. Over 300mm in my roof. I was only referring to post#1 - less cost on a Wednesday for OAPs, by 10%.

Dont be so pedantic! It was a general quote for OAP's which Cumbrian quite rightly points out can be 60.

But then again, many people now on their pensions are not as old as future generations will be by the time they take their pensions (70+)

Judging by my parents, who retired nearly 15 years ago, and have been far better off since they retired.

Anyway glad you have over 300mm RAB, keep it up:hat:

Latest posts

Back