British Bred Queens or Imported Queens - peoples choice?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found them very good, nice to see someone work hard, do well and build a good business. Some people really can’t stand seeing anyone get on, horrid trait this country seems to have adopted.
S

I mentioned Beckies bees as they advertise a selection of queens for sale... no mention of being imports or otherwise... just an example of a successful queen selling company... how do you translate that into "Some people really can’t stand seeing anyone get on....????

Twas just a for example... of different types... Buckfast today seems to be a term used to describe a "pedigree mongrel"... a bit like a cockkerpoo or a labradoodle.

:calmdown:

Twas just a for example... of different types... Buckfast today seems to be a term used to describe a "pedigree mongrel"... a bit like a cockkerpoo or a labradoodle.
:calmdown:

Why today was that not always the case

Buckfast is native to England.

"Born in a particular place."

Last edited:
Buckfast is native to England.

"Born in a particular place."
In theory, yes. Provenance should be the deciding factor.
It would probably be more precise to say: according to Br. Adams' (Buckfastleigh) method.
However, the same methods are used to rear queens everywhere so it's a bit difficult to say whether something is, or isn't, a Buckfast

In theory, yes. Provenance should be the deciding factor.
It would probably be more precise to say: according to Br. Adams' (Buckfastleigh) method.
However, the same methods are used to rear queens everywhere so it's a bit difficult to say whether something is, or isn't, a Buckfast

The reality does not change when formulating words.

Last edited:
Buckfast is probably just a good selling point, I bet there probably not a lot of DNA left of brother Adams original strains. I know a guy who bought Colin Mcrae's first rally car ( Vauxhall Nova GTE), probably only thing left of Colin though was his name on the log book but it was a good selling point.

Buckfast is probably just a good selling point, I bet there probably not a lot of DNA left of brother Adams original strains. I know a guy who bought Colin Mcrae's first rally car ( Vauxhall Nova GTE), probably only thing left of Colin though was his name on the log book but it was a good selling point.

To successfully compare raising bees to running rally cars deserves 1,000 bonus points:paparazzi:

A bit like Triggers broom eh? 😀

The pedigrees of the most of the current Buckfast-lines in Europe go back to Brother Adam's, you can find in the link below. Their are of course also new combinations.

http://perso.fundp.ac.be/~jvandyck/homage/elver/

Their are of course also new combinations.

I think this confirms what I said in post #46 above:
"It would probably be more precise to say: according to Br. Adams' (Buckfastleigh) method"
so, if anyone can "make" a Buckfast, how do you recognise what is, or isn't, one?

I know a guy who bought Colin Mcrae's first rally car ( Vauxhall Nova GTE), probably only thing left of Colin though was his name on the log book but it was a good selling point.
:ot:
Little bit like the Cutty Sark;
  • 95% wood
  • destroyed by fire
  • now £M tourist attraction

?????

... Their are of course also new combinations.

http://perso.fundp.ac.be/~jvandyck/homage/elver/

It's my understanding that new DNA can be added into the Buckfast breed, but this is a very difficult process and needs to be authorized by the Buckfast breeding body, it's reasonably safe to compare it to pedigree dog breeding, in which each dog in the ancestry must be documented and itself a registered pedigree, except there is no way you can add new genetic material to improve the pedigree. For example if an A.m.lingustica was found to have 100% varroa resistance, then the genetic characteristic for this could be / would be isolated and this DNA added to the Buckfast breed, when I suggested something similar could be done for the "native Irish" A.m.mellifera here in Ireland,,, convulsions followed!

when I suggested something similar could be done for the "native Irish" A.m.mellifera here in Ireland,,, convulsions followed!

Lol, that sort of blasphemy will get you burned at the stake.
Did nobody tell you, Its not about better bees, its about black bees

Latest posts

Back