Queen Ancestry

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, each drone receives a random mix of 16 from the queen's 32 which are then combined with the drone's sperm set of 16 (giving 32 for virgins/workers etc). All the drones she creates will differ, but only between themselves (not outside of the queens data set of 32).
Thus half from the drone and half from the queen. Not 100% from the drone. All of the drone's DNA still only counts for 50% of the contribution to the offspring.

Reactions: jim
Ok, another way to look at it. They get 50% of the Queen's data and 100% of the drone's, so super-sisters share 75% of their DNA. 50% from the queens egg is roughly 25% identical (Mendelian Genetics) the other 25% a random mix, combined with 100% from the drone sperm. Workers and queens get all of the drones data passed down the line.

Ok, another way to look at it. They get 50% of the Queen's data and 100% of the drone's, so super-sisters share 75% of their DNA. 50% from the queens egg is roughly 25% identical (Mendelian Genetics) the other 25% a random mix, combined with 100% from the drone sperm. Workers and queens get all of the drones data passed down the line.
And yet it is not so easy because there are at least 2 contributions that it does not take into account:
A. The effect of vitellogenin that can partially couple to a gene and activate it. This means that a queen and a worker may have the same genetic code, but its manifestation is different.
B. The sex determination gene (csa), it turns out that despite haplodiplody, there is a gene that encodes sex, when two copies are equal a diploid drone is produced (non-viable) and therefore as it increases Inbreeding increases the probability of obtaining diploid drones and contributes to weakening your hive compared to the rest.
In the genetic game, the best thing is more diversity and proof of this is that Brother Adam never gave up on incorporating more genetic variety for buckfast.

Oh yes, there are vastly more complex factors at play they will give all sorts of mixed results.

You mention sex alleles and inbreeding, one of the areas i'm looking into is how to mix (homogenized) drone sperm from various lines. Searching for a decent centrifuge and methods around that. Another option is buying this in or simply leaving them to mix in the canula, all good fun.

Oh yes, there are vastly more complex factors at play they will give all sorts of mixed results.

You mention sex alleles and inbreeding, one of the areas i'm looking into is how to mix (homogenized) drone sperm from various lines. Searching for a decent centrifuge and methods around that. Another option is buying this in or simply leaving them to mix in the canula, all good fun.
I still don't understand the messianism that presupposes that humanity is capable of surpassing nature. If what is intended is that a queen can have a collection of at least 12 drones, what she should do is set up breeding stations with controlled drones and flood them in front of outsiders.

You seem to have driven off down another lane, I think I get your gist. Yeah all good if you have the space/island etc; middle of the UK here so forget breeding stations with controlled drones (sadly). Saying that.. 80-90% open-mated seem OK around this area but my II queens have blown them away over winter and doing surprisingly well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back