Bonfires

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Depends how big,is it just to burn up a small amount of rubbish,or is it going to be twenty ft high and 30 ft diameter.

Heather 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Always check wind direction. Plenty of calm evenings - or is this bonfire night itself. I wouldnt do within 15' anyway

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Daytime or at night? The latter should present no difficulty. You can easily move the hive temporarily, or screen it. Not exactly a beekeeping question really. How close would you stand if the bonfire is a raging furnace; would you stand upwind, or choke in the smoke and/or fumes downwind? There could be a brick wall between whilst still being close. So lots of common sense cosiderations to be taken 'on the ground'.

To answer the question literally, I could stand next to it, or even on it! Would not be good for the bees though. This sounds more like a question from someone with a hive and a close neighbour building a bonfire close to a beehive. Seems like there may be animosity, but just guessing. If it is indeed the case, we have the classic example of poor siting of a beehive.

Regards, RAB

Black Comb 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
10+
Well my hive can only be sited in one place in my garden which is about 20' away from where my (friendly) neighbour burns rubbish.

I was aware of this before siting the hive and know it is a risk but so far so good.

He only burns in smallish amounts and only when the wind is blowing away from the hive.

In the worst case scenario I suppose they will swarm?

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
they will swarm?

Well abscond is more like, but unlikely at 6m with a small fire.

You were quite right to say friendly neighbour - obviously he is aware of your hobby and is not a beephobiac. I daresay the occasional jar of honey keeps him sweet!

Regards, RAB

Gillybee 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Well said RAB could'nt put it better myself.

Gillybee!

buffalow 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
To answer the question literally, I could stand next to it, or even on it!
Not advisable Rab unless your name is GUY and you have asbestos undies:svengo:

I would try and shelter the hive/s with some steel sheet or similar to absorb/deflect any radiant heat from the hives. ideal soluion would be a hedge of some kind but too late to plant now for the 5h Nov

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Not advisable Rab

Er? I was answering the OPs question. Therefore I was referring to the hive, not the bonfire! I think that was the question?

Regards, Guy

tkwinston4 

Field Bee
Reaction score
WBC/Smith/National/nucs in Horsham, West Sussex.
Hive Type
smith
Number of Hives
My husband regularly has his bonfire about 20 feet away from my hive and they don't complain. He has a worrying obsession with fire and never bothers to worry about my girls or washing. I await the day they put their feet down and say NO! :)

Latest posts