Spring feeding - pollen patties

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcup

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Just wanted to see what the current thinking was on feeding bees now, light sugar syrup or pollen patties...?

LOTS of pollen here. Stored in combs by bees rather than in arcs.. Can be an issue of space taken up..Have to remove pollen frames.
No need for pollen patties - except when Queen Rearing during bad weather.

Just wanted to see what the current thinking was on feeding bees now, light sugar syrup or pollen patties...?
do you think they need it? unless you're getting them revved up for the OSR (a bit too late for that now anyway) or are doing some serious queen rearing there's not much point. Don't go down the line of the cattle herd mentality preached by some that all beekeepers should spring feed either syrup and/or pointless pollen patties

It all depends....
On the state of the colony, your aims for it going forward and prevailing weather conditions.
At this time of year if pollen stocks are low, poor weather prevents collection and you want to maintain or increase brood production then feed pollen supplement.

Thanks - will look in at bees, hopefully warmer monday.

Where in the UK are your bees? Location, weather and forage vary widely.
Yes ... mine down here in the far South yesteday in the Sunshine were bring in nectar and bucket loads of pollen. Lots of water being collected but from warmer sources of water. Despite the sunshine it was not warm enoug to dispense with my coat and woolly hat whilst I was gardening. Snow predicted in some depth for those at the opposite end of the UK.

Latest posts

Back