Bananas

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It's a fairly fluid thing.... more than 10, less than 15
I’m currently in the USA on holiday and a lot of beekeepers here feed bananas to their bees in spring. Anyone tried this in the UK? Is there any evidence that it’s particularly beneficial? Not because I necessarily want to do it, just curious.

Attachments

• IMG_5687.jpeg
    IMG_5687.jpeg
    742.8 KB · Views: 0
read about it some time ago - no tangible proof at all that it does any good - just another fad started of by some crackpot and then taken up as gospel by the usual crowd followers - bit like 'shook swarming' really

feed bananas to their bees
How do they know that bees eat the banana?

Bees will remove anything they don't want - thymol varroa treatments, plastic wrapping, old wax moth mess - and the conclusion that the banana is eaten rather than removed may be a presumption, based on the fact that humans eat banana. If they do eat or store it, the sugars may be the attractant.

Reactions: Ely
You might be surprised at how many Latin American beekeepers give their bees bananas. Overripe and soft. Similar to fondant in that it will keep the bees alive in an emergency. Some claim it increases brood rearing. I question that. Lots of high carbohydrate juice in a soft banana, but protein?

I wouldn't do that, how much of maltose is in it? Same as our bees go after grapes and store it at outer combs and even not cap it. It is no good for bees.. their instinct to gather but later..
Some wise guys here gave bees grapes, watermelons, ripe apples when is no available forage - justification was that sugar is expensive. Well if it is expensive - quit beekeeping..

😂😂😂 I remember that.
I remember it but never tried it ... one of my college friends did after a night when he managed 15 pints of Brickwoods Best Bitter and was violently sick .. he was sure it was the banana skin smoke that did it. Mind you .. he was Welsh - from Splott , Cardiff ...

I’m currently in the USA on holiday and a lot of beekeepers here feed bananas to their bees in spring. Anyone tried this in the UK? Is there any evidence that it’s particularly beneficial? Not because I necessarily want to do it, just curious.
If we think supporting feeding of bees in spring, banana has no usefull in it.

Banana has not been mentioned in any scientific document of bee nutrition.

- 1% protein
- sugars 13,5 %
- starch 5%.

If we think supporting feeding of bees in spring, banana has no usefull in it.

Banana has not been mentioned in any scientific document of bee nutrition.

- 1% protein
- sugars 13,5 %
- starch 5%.
What about the vitamins and potassium also bananas are antioxidants by what I’ve been reading.
maybe there are some traice elements the bees receive from foraging on bananas, I’ve heard of feeding fruit to bees before even in this country..

Latest posts

Back