Time to get the camera out againAnd spread some joy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bees are enjoying the persicaria
View attachment 40815

I have four or five persicarias ' red bistort' at home all from the same root stock ( which I found many years ago on a compost heap with a single stem and it's flowers ) and one huge one adj to my front door facing south, every year without fail it is like a magnet for the bees. It will be busy now until the flowers fade in November a ong perennial attracter for late summer /autumn.
Ecah year when I cut mine right back in Jan /feb to the root stock , I slice it in half with apsade to control it's spread and size. The spare root stock I either sit it on the borders in the garden or go plant bits (urban guerrilla gardening) of the root stock here and there along the tow paths and other quiet areas .
My soil is heavy clay , it take sot it like a duck to water . Simply scrape out a small shallow area and plonk it down firming it in within a couple of years it is awesome and spreading the root stock on the surface.

I have four or five persicarias ' red bistort' at home all from the same root stock ( which I found many years ago on a compost heap with a single stem and it's flowers ) and one huge one adj to my front door facing south, every year without fail it is like a magnet for the bees. It will be busy now until the flowers fade in November a ong perennial attracter for late summer /autumn.
Ecah year when I cut mine right back in Jan /feb to the root stock , I slice it in half with apsade to control it's spread and size. The spare root stock I either sit it on the borders in the garden or go plant bits (urban guerrilla gardening) of the root stock here and there along the tow paths and other quiet areas .
My soil is heavy clay , it take sot it like a duck to water . Simply scrape out a small shallow area and plonk it down firming it in within a couple of years it is awesome and spreading the root stock on the surface.
Brilliant. I might donate some to the local park 🤭

Brilliant. I might donate some to the local park 🤭
Just be cautious though RHS lists the following, depending upon variety I think:
This plant is listed on Schedule 9 of the UK Wildlife & Countryside Act (in the Republic of Ireland) as an invasive, non-native species.

Latest posts

Back