Best honey warmer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone explain the honey warming cabinet procedure?

When and why is it needed?

It's the electric fan oven in my kitchen. The reason for the external thermometer is because the one on the oven isn't accurate enough at low temperatures.

Planning to build a proper cabinet at some point to accommodate more buckets but TBH this works well and I don't need to worry about elecrical safety.
Sounds ideal to me.

Can someone explain the honey warming cabinet procedure?

When and why is it needed?
Extracted honey is usually stored in buckets till it’s needed. After a couple of months, (sooner for some honey) the honey will be crystallised and need melting to make it runny again.
40 degrees overnight will do it nicely. Then you can jar it.

And at this point, you can't label it as raw anymore 🤣🤣
Bee internal temperature is around 35C and the nectar has been inside at least one before being warmed and fanned so presumably it could be considered pre-cooked anyway? ;)

I'd presumed that the benefit of 'raw' is the enzymes, which should be ok to about 42C so theoretically raw still applies for those that use it.

Extracted honey is usually stored in buckets till it’s needed. After a couple of months, (sooner for some honey) the honey will be crystallised and need melting to make it runny again.
40 degrees overnight will do it nicely. Then you can jar it.
I thought you could jar it immediately after extraction o_O

Have you tried using it to render wax/old combs? Got a honey bucket full of wax and bits of comb, wondering if I could use it for that too.
I use mine for that too. I render first in a wax steamer then take the blocks and melt over water and ladel into a jug with j cloths over the top to final filter.

Also use it with a lid with holes in, available from Thornes, for dipping tubes to make hand dipped candles

Recently started to use it (after a thorough clean) for warming honey buckets in water, for final filtering and jarring up

So multiple uses from a v useful piece of kit - a v. effective warming ‘cabinet’, wax melter and candle dipping maker

So multiple uses from a v useful piece of kit - a v. effective warming ‘cabinet’, wax melter and candle dipping maker
You can also use them to pasteurise apple juice (v. useful this time of year) and also test car thermostats (but maybe that's going a little too far) :)

Really silly question time now.
The old fridge method with either the tubular heater or the light bulb. It heats the honey in say a 3 gallon bucket set in the bottom of the old fridge overnight or within 24 hours or so and no need to stir or for water for that matter?
I know where I can get my hands on an old small 3 to 4 feet high fridge and thinking I might just try my hand at making one of these.

Really silly question time now.
The old fridge method with either the tubular heater or the light bulb. It heats the honey in say a 3 gallon bucket set in the bottom of the old fridge overnight or within 24 hours or so and no need to stir or for water for that matter?
I know where I can get my hands on an old small 3 to 4 feet high fridge and thinking I might just try my hand at making one of these.
it's simple, but forget the lightbulb idea, just get a 12" tubular heater and an STC1000 heat controller

Reactions: KJB

Latest posts

Back