Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

has27 

New Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi -
My beekeeping mentor has retired, and has passed on a number of items of beekeeping kit to me. Among them are a Melitherm plus tank, and a Cappings Melter/Honey Liquefier; I'm under a three-line whip to either sell them or pay him for them, and I don't want either of them myself!

So, offering both for sale. Pictures below. Both in good working order.

Melitherm
For liquefying crystallised honey: a thermostatic heat coil in a tank with a mesh bottom allows the honey to drip through into the settling tank below.
The heater and top tank is melitherm
Then there's a mesh ring to allow condensation out: space ring for melitherm
The tank is this: honey tank with valve, 50 kg
The Melitherm and top tank has never been used, so is totally clean; the bottom tank has been used a few times a season for about ten years to settle out honey. I've given it a good wash. In the picture below the top tank has white plastic with blue stripes on the outside - that's for protection; peel it off and you see stainless steel.
This all retails for €776.71 (£700). I'd hope for £300. I'd not want to sell the bottom tank and not the Melitherm+top tank, but if you want the Melitherm + top tank but not the bottom tank I'd hope for £250.

Cappings Melter/Honey Liquefier
You put (cut out) whole frames in on a mesh floor, and the heater and fan in the lid melts the wax and liquefies the honey, which then drips through the mesh into a sump (I've always wanted to use the word 'sump'). The wax then cools and you can lift it off for cleaning; the honey drains through the tap.
See Uncapping wax melter and honey thaw out for this model; I think that there are likely very few places which make it so it's probably the same manufacturer as produce these for Thorne and elsewhere.
It's been used a few times for ivy and other set honeys. Again, I've given it a very good wash with boiling water, and it's as clean as I can get it (for something which is used to melt large quantities of wax!).
The tap has been repaired at some point with some sort of hard-setting putty - it probably got bonked on a doorframe or something; I've checked it out with a decent amount of water and it's watertight.
This retails for €954.81 (£859); I'd hope for £400.

Delivery
Hm. These are big things. I think I could probably post the Melitherm + tanks, but the melter really isn't something I'd want to put in the post. I'm in Cambridge, so could negotiate delivery; you'd be welcome to collect, or we could meet somewhere mutually convenient. Delivery cost to be negotiated :)

IMG_8988 (1).jpegIMG_8989 (1).jpegIMG_8990 (1).jpegIMG_8991 (1).jpegIMG_8992 (1).jpegIMG_8993 (1).jpeg

Somerford 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Wiltshire, Somerset, S Glos & S Oxfordshire
Hive Type
national
Hi -
My beekeeping mentor has retired, and has passed on a number of items of beekeeping kit to me. Among them are a Melitherm plus tank, and a Cappings Melter/Honey Liquefier; I'm under a three-line whip to either sell them or pay him for them, and I don't want either of them myself!

Melitherm
For liquefying crystallised honey: a thermostatic heat coil in a tank with a mesh bottom allows the honey to drip through into the settling tank below.
The Melitherm and top tank has never been used, so is totally clean; the bottom tank has been used a few times a season for about ten years to settle out honey. I've given it a good wash. In the picture below the top tank has white plastic with blue stripes on the outside - that's for protection; peel it off and you see stainless steel.
This all retails for €776.71 (£700). I'd hope for £300. I'd not want to sell the bottom tank and not the Melitherm+top tank, but if you want the Melitherm + top tank but not the bottom tank I'd hope for £250.

You put (cut out) whole frames in on a mesh floor, and the heater and fan in the lid melts the wax and liquefies the honey, which then drips through the mesh into a sump (I've always wanted to use the word 'sump'). The wax then cools and you can lift it off for cleaning; the honey drains through the tap.
See Uncapping wax melter and honey thaw out for this model; I think that there are likely very few places which make it so it's probably the same manufacturer as produce these for Thorne and elsewhere.
It's been used a few times for ivy and other set honeys. Again, I've given it a very good wash with boiling water, and it's as clean as I can get it (for something which is used to melt large quantities of wax!).
The tap has been repaired at some point with some sort of hard-setting putty - it probably got bonked on a doorframe or something; I've checked it out with a decent amount of water and it's watertight.

Delivery
Hm. These are big things. I think I could probably post the Melitherm + tanks, but the melter really isn't something I'd want to put in the post. I'm in Cambridge, so could negotiate delivery; you'd be welcome to collect, or we could meet somewhere mutually convenient. Delivery cost to be negotiated :)

View attachment 21484View attachment 21485View attachment 21486View attachment 21487View attachment 21488View attachment 21489
The cappings melter is a Dana mini-apimelter

has27 

New Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Excellent, that's useful to know, thank you! Searching for that I found Cappings and wax melter - £1232.40 - so looks like things retail at weirdly different prices depending on where you get them from! (£400 feels like a steal ;-) )

tudor bees 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
6 and lots of nucs
Hi I’m interested in the capping wax melter. Is it still available.

has27 

New Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Nobody has yet expressed a definite yes (just a couple of nibbles) so I'm all ears.

tudor bees 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
6 and lots of nucs
Nobody has yet expressed a definite yes (just a couple of nibbles) so I'm all ears.
I can come over Thursday lunchtime to have a look or The next time I come is a week on Wednesday

has27 

New Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I will be at home on Thursday, so very happy for you to come and have a look. I'll PM you some details.

has27 

New Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Melter now gone; someone's interested in the Melitherm so they get first dibs.

has27 

New Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Number of Hives
The person interested in the melitherm has gone quiet, so it's available again.

robinharman 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Hi -

Melitherm

Delivery

View attachment 21484View attachment 21485View attachment 21486View attachment 21487View attachment 21488View attachment 21489
Did the melitherm get sold?

has27 

New Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Number of Hives
It did - thank you for the interest!