Using a Apimelter/Meliflow

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoggr20

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I’ve splashed out on a new Meliflow, my primary use for it will be to drain and melt down my cappings. I’m looking for some advice on temperature settings when draining the cappings and then melting them down. My initial instinct is to load the wet capping and set the top thermostat with fan at 30deg. Leave the capping to drain for 24 hours then tap of the honey. Step two melt the capping down by setting the bottom thermostat yo 40deg and top thermostat to 80dec,(as found on Apimelter instructions) then drain off the wax.
Does anyone have experience of this and what advise can you give.
Finally what is the best way to clean the Meliflow afterwards.

Reactions: mbc
I think you’ll find the advice is not to leave unattended so unless you’re prepared to stay awake your 24hrs may prove probmatical.
I only switch on when full, couple of times during the season. Temp is set to approx 40 bottom & top to start increasing to 60 top as the wax softens and level drops in the apimelter. Honey is taken off and wax/honey mix agitated until Honey is all off and a molten-ish pile of wax is sitting on the perforated tray. Temps then increased to 75 bottom & 95 top to melt down wax and drain off. The wax can set in the outlet tap so tend to have large buckets to hand (oiled up with some water in the bottom) and the tap is turned fully open.
Cleaning is completed when still warm scraping off residual & gunk with a variety of wall paper scrapers - not one of my favourite jobs. Perforated tray is then usually pressure washed off to finish.

The wax can set in the outlet tap
Always does!

Tried melting the blockage in the right-angle outlet section with a paint stripper gun (works, but tedious).

In the end, I removed the right-angle section and attached the tap to the straight section.

That reduced the time taken by wax to travel through the outlet, where rapid temp. drop had allowed it to set.

Helps to put a block of wood under the wheels at the other end of the Melliflow, to get the liquid wax to collect above the outlet.

If only Abelo had designed the tank with a fall in the base...

If only Abelo had designed the tank with a fall in the base...
Fortunately I’ve a Swienty which does, didn’t realise this was the case with Lysol/Abelo. Even so I still wedge with a block of wood to ensure better drainage for wax.

Latest posts

Back