Beliefs of Forum Members...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you believe in?

• Christianity

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • Other

Votes: 14 12.0%
  • Non-believer

Votes: 68 58.1%

• Total voters
I have found that working with, and studying the lives of Honey Bees my own faith in God has been strengthened.
Bees prove Mr Darwin to be wrong.

I have found that working with, and studying the lives of Honey Bees my own faith in God has been strengthened.
Bees prove Mr Darwin to be wrong.

Oh boy, this should be good. How, exactly?

When Charles Darwin first proposed his theory of evolution by natural selection he himself questioned whether honeybees might be the unravelling of his ideas.
You can read about this in the Collins Beekeepers Bible (page 104).

I must admit that the first time I read this section of the book I had to re-read it several times. Not to question it, but to understand what was writen.
Here was proof for me that Darwin had a theory, a pretty good one as well, but thats all it was, a theory.
He himself admitted that there were flaws in it as well.
My own belief in a God was taught to me as a theory when I was a child.
However as I have gone through life witnessing miracles and receiving answers to my prayers this Theory has become a powerful reality.
For me Beekeeping is both an enjoyable and spiritual experience. It is as close to nature as I can get. Much closer than hugging trees.

I think many people take up Beekeeping later in life when their beliefs and ideas have already been chosen by them.
However if they were to stop and ponder a little I think most would admit that maybe there is more to life.

Happy Christmas time

Oh boy, this should be good.

A bit condescending?

How, exactly?

Well, if evolution is all about perfecting the model, bees would live longer, the queen would have found a way of topping up when in danger of running out of juice, thier tongues would be longer to reach the bottom of all flowers, drones wouldn't have exploding knackers, nurse bees would have found a less body sapping way of producing food for the larvae.
And by now they'd realise a puff of smoke doesn'rt necessarily mean the bleddy tree's on fire!

Last edited:
.....bees would live longer....
.....the queen would have found a way of topping up when in danger of running out of juice....
......thier tongues would be longer to reach the bottom of all flowers.....
....drones wouldn't have exploding knackers....
.....nurse bees would have found a less body sapping way of producing food for the larvae.....
...And by now they'd realise a puff of smoke doesn'rt necessarily mean the bleddy tree's on fire!

Firstly, why would they ? I think they are doing fairly well without us humans pronouncing our judgement on what they are or should be doing.

Secondly, how do you know they are not on the way to doing exactly that ?

Molecular Ecology... how DNA does it's stuff, Richard Dawkins and Douglas Adams does it for me.

Evolution it has to be said is an ongoing thing.

All of this has nothing to do with God... Evolution is NOT a belief system... is it?

IMOLE........

When Charles Darwin first proposed his theory of evolution by natural selection he himself questioned whether honeybees might be the unravelling of his ideas.

I must admit that the first time I read this section of the book I had to re-read it several times. Not to question it, but to understand what was writen.
Here was proof for me that Darwin had a theory, a pretty good one as well, but thats all it was, a theory.
However as I have gone through life witnessing miracles and receiving answers to my prayers this Theory has become a powerful reality.
For me Beekeeping is both an enjoyable and spiritual experience. It is as close to nature as I can get. Much closer than hugging trees.

I think many people take up Beekeeping later in life when their beliefs and ideas have already been chosen by them.
However if they were to stop and ponder a little I think most would admit that maybe there is more to life.

Happy Christmas time
Apparent complexity and emotional irrational behaviour ( both words used in the non pejorative sense) don't prove the existence of deity. But if it makes you happy and it's harmless to the bees and others , go for it.

Apparent complexity and emotional irrational behaviour ( both words used in the non pejorative sense) don't prove the existence of deity. But if it makes you happy and it's harmless to the bees and others , go for it.

Guess that, that is the best way to insulate yourself from all the mumbo jumbo !

IMOLE........

?
-in my ole ?
-in my one lazy eye ?
-in my overly lax esteem ?
-I MOLE ? moley, moley, moley mole.

Happy Christmas

I'm with you on this brutha :cheers2:

Happy Christmas time

Darwin believed that the honeycomb came into the same category as structures like the eye, which people held up as things that must have been created, because they couldn't understand how they could have have evolved. However he gathered what evidence he could to work out the method and got incredibly close to the correct answer given how limited the research techniques available were.

Darwin worked out his theory of evolution by examining nature, and questioning how things could or could not have come about. He was extremely thorough, and this is part of the reason why he got it about 99% right first time. There were some imperfections- he considered that it was a fairly even process, where it is now considered that changes tend to happen in shorter time frames, with stable periods in between- but the new techniques of gene sequencing show how he was right in almost every detail, an astonishing achievement.

Although I wasn't there at the time, I'm willing to bet that religion wasn't taught to you as a theory- questionable, testable- but as a fact which you have to accept because it just is. Theories which are not found to be backed up by evidence are abandoned in favour of those which are. Religions rely on faith, and faith and evidence are mutually exclusive.

?
-in my ole ?
-in my one lazy eye ?
-in my overly lax esteem ?
-I MOLE ? moley, moley, moley mole.

In My Own Limited Experience.......................

I and a few friends go out hugging trees... to calculate Hoppus Foots... before felling!

i follow krsna conciouness - we believe in serving god through love and devotion and not asking him to serve us ( there is a lot more to it then that ) just the basics ....hare krsna

Latest posts

Back