Beliefs of Forum Members...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you believe in?

• Christianity

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • Other

Votes: 14 12.0%
  • Non-believer

Votes: 68 58.1%

• Total voters
I'm an agnostic with atheist tendencies, or an atheist with agnostic tendencies, I can never decide which- anyway I think it's very hard to be certain of anything except my own existence, but I can see no reason to think their is a god, and lots of reasons to think there isn't- or at least not one I want anything to do with.

Is there God in Schrödinger's box?
Yes, you need to add "fence sitter" to the choices.
I would be a fence sitter. I may make my mind up just before I shake off this mortal coil.

I've ticked the first box but a person doesn't necessarily believe in Christianity - I believe in God, I believe in Christ most people would call me a Christian, I didn't feel comfortable with the word as coming from not far from Penygroes the centre of the pentecostal mission, to us normal chapel goers people who bandied the word Christian often were the happy clappy zealots in school who scared us a bit! No after life though, just a state of grace if you're lucky!!

Someone who does not believe in God but upholds the ethics of Christianity.

Clear?
C

Oh, an atheist :D

My morals are probably much the same as yours- they're the ones that allow a society to function.

Perhaps I worded that badly :) "Is it possible not to believe?" would have been better phrasing.

James

I am certain of my own existence. I believe in the existence of the universe around me, and act accordingly. I don't believe in supernatural beings. I'm undecided about quantum physics and string theory.

Someone who does not believe in God but upholds the ethics of Christianity.

Clear?
C

The ethics of Christianity - or the ethics (and morals) of a civilised society???

A friend of mine is a very religious man. He devotes at least 1/2 of his weekend to his community - he takes his elderly neighbour to church* every Sunday morning - he delivers food etc around the neighbourhood - he gives readings etc at various meetings outside specific worship/services (he is not ordained or "qualified").

He has (attempted) to explain many of his beliefs etc to me many times. He actively studies religious texts and the history of his religion - and teaches youngsters and other members regularly.

He has never tried to evangelise or convert me as he understands that I have no religion.

I share many of his morals and concerns (although I do not contribute to any services or society in general anything like him).

He believes quite fervently that there is good in all people.

Did I mention that he is a Sikh?

* Yes I do mean Church - his neighbour is a Christian who has difficulty getting about - no one from the Church is "able" to provide transport but Narinder is his neighbour QED he obviously helps him!

Anyone who believes that a ghost impregnated a virgin woman who then gave birth to a child is, quite frankly, deluded. Exactly the same type of people went around ducking so called witches or chucking them on bonfires.

Is it possible to believe in nothing?

James

Thats an interesting question. My uncle is a grand vahoosmaflip in a Lodge of masons. Anyway it is a common belief that masons require you to believe in God (the christian bloke) before they will let you join. Not so apparently, as long as you believe in something. And the mere act of believing in nothing is a belief.

Agnostic.
I was brought up by Christian fundamentalists who were determined to protect me from the 'wicked world' outside. I left school, the fundamentalists and home the day I was sixteen. The best thing ever was to discover that the people in the 'wicked world' outside were kind and lovely compared to the abusive fundamentalists I had left.
Nuff said?

Perhaps I worded that badly :) "Is it possible not to believe?" would have been better phrasing.

James

it is easier to not believe than to believe.

just as a matter of interest, did you see the report on channel 4 news last night about the millionaire preachers in Nigeria?

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/unreported-world/

pretty clear that there's not much 'religion' going on there :rolleyes:

Back