BeeTradex

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't recall ever seeing them. Staples possibly, but not nails. Given the price last time I bought stainless nails (for nailing the cladding on my observatory) I don't think I could justify the cost for making frames even if they are available.

James
Yes James. Thanks. I deleted the post realising how unrealistic my expectations were. I bought a box of nails ages ago in a sale and opened them today to find they were all rusty. I’ll stick to japanned ones.

Yes James. Thanks. I deleted the post realising how unrealistic my expectations were. I bought a box of nails ages ago in a sale and opened them today to find they were all rusty. I’ll stick to japanned ones.

Well, the one thing that does occur to me is that stainless panel pins might work, though they probably wouldn't have the flat head of a frame nail.

I did have a similar problem once and now keep my frame nails in a sealed plastic container which seems to have solved it.

James

Well, the one thing that does occur to me is that stainless panel pins might work, though they probably wouldn't have the flat head of a frame nail.

I did have a similar problem once and now keep my frame nails in a sealed plastic container which seems to have solved it.

James
It’s the humidity of the hive that concerns me.

Does there have to be a choice, you simply go to the closer event or event that has the better suppliers . Hell you could even go to both!!
Steady on Ian. Two day passes needed from SWMBO and the opportunity to spend money twice in a season? I am going into shock!!!!

I’ll stick to japanned ones.
Challenge gimp pins used to be japanned, but not for a few years. I rang the Frank Shaw company about five years ago and was told that due to health risks during production, japanning was no longer permitted (either in the UK or EU, as I recall).

Last week came across a recent wholesale box of genuine FS Challenge gimps and they looked japanned! Box read Made in China, so clearly production has moved to a country with either fewer scruples or more stringent production facilities.

Last edited:
Buy the zinc plated panel pins...a lot cheaper than japanned....we only use the black ones (19g 20mm) for wire anchoring or pinning through very thin wood. 18g 25mm zinc plated panel pins.......can go down to the 20mm if you are using DN1 or SN1 frames...or for nailing in wedge bars if you have the narrow topbars. 17g or thicker splits the wood too often on the skinny bits of wood on UK normal frames.

All available in small 500g boxes or bulk 10 kg or 20kg boxes from Frank Shaw ltd. Service normally pretty well overnight.

Sometimes we need to take the wedge bar out of frames nailed up by us as much as 40 yr ago and they are still shiny and not rusted in...all bets off however after a caustic soda boil.....only real stainless will do them. Price x 10!

Challenge gimp pins used to be japanned, but not for a few years. I rang the Frank Shaw company about five years ago and was told that due to health risks during production, japanning was no longer permitted (either in the UK or EU, as I recall).

Last week came across a recent wholesale box of genuine FS Challenge gimps and they looked japanned! Box read Made in China, so clearly production has moved to a country with either fewer scruples or more stringent production facilities.
We got 40kg of these from Frank Shaw not a year ago. Did not ask where they are made....the bees dont ask me either. Quite a lot of mis-stamped ones, maybe 5%....not big deal.

We got 40kg of these from Frank Shaw not a year ago. Did not ask where they are made....the bees dont ask me either. Quite a lot of mis-stamped ones, maybe 5%....not big deal.
Yes, and Frank Shaw Challenge are way better than the cheap copies.

Seen too many of those conjoined, varying in length from 15 to 23, without heads...

This expansion of BeeTradex is terrific news! The focus on local beekeeping skills and hive product marketing is commendable. I'm especially intrigued by the innovative wax exchange program and special rates for sellers. Can you share more about how to get involved? This is a great opportunity for our beekeeping community.
I heard Patrick was selling up. You're not the new buyer by any chance? 😄

Now I'm very sad 🥺
With all good faith in humankind I was thinking someone out there really thought the new improved Beetradex was a good thing.
doubt many would have thought that

Back