beekeeping only for rich folks?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no, i know of someone who started keeping bees in wooden shoe boxes, many years ago but it can still be done today. You dont need all the fancy equipment, make yourself a top bar hive from recycled timber, before bee hives they were kept in straw baskets.

They were lucky!!! we used to have to live in a wooden shoe box and every morning we had to polish the shoes before we went to school and if they were not shiny enough our dad would beat us within a inch of our lives.

You try and tell the youngsters... they wont believe you....

I am so pleased that the members of this forum are friendly and helpful. So many forums seemed filled with in fighting and backbiting

Haven't checked out the pesticides and environmental room on this forum yet then? :D

Welcome by the way

They were lucky!!! we used to have to live in a wooden shoe box and every morning we had to polish the shoes before we went to school and if they were not shiny enough our dad would beat us within a inch of our lives.

You try and tell the youngsters... they wont believe you....

Wooden shoe box, pure luxury, etc etc :sorry:

CD

You had shoes?!?!?!?You had a Dad?!?!?!

there is one starting on monday with a company called Th0rnes and P aines have thiers on at the moment.

i will pm u the links.

I checked these places and you can get cheaper on ebay so they arent that cheaper IMO

I checked these places and you can get cheaper on ebay so they arent that cheaper IMO

please be carefull when bying from unknown sites/sellers as the product or quality may not be as expected or as advertised and therfore a falce econamy or worse a total rip off :willy_nilly:
:welcome:
good luck with your beekeeping and welcome to the forum
:seeya:

just put a cheeky bid on a full cedar hive brood box,2 supers,OMF,crown board,roof,porter bee escapes on flea bay of £102 + £18 p+p and won it (all brand new) just got to explain to the wife why £120 has gone out the bank lol but what a bargain oh and it is all fully assembled

Add the price of the frames and wax you need and it is still cheaper to buy 'FAWNS' bees on a budget, free delivery but you have to assemble it.

Bought some Smiths Nuc bodies in their sale for a tenner, will add some mesh floor and knock up a roof and use them this summer. Will trim the lugs down on some national frames to fit.

Pete D

Add the price of the frames and wax you need and it is still cheaper to buy 'FAWNS' bees on a budget, free delivery but you have to assemble it.

Bought some Smiths Nuc bodies in their sale for a tenner, will add some mesh floor and knock up a roof and use them this summer. Will trim the lugs down on some national frames to fit.

Pete D
I see them at £18 each or am I missing something

I'm very sure there is some kind beekeeper around Skegness that would be able to make you a sound hive from old unused timber that would cost nothing or if you an get a drawing or plan of the hive you would like to make a local woodworker would be able to help you or do a woodworking night class and make the hive there. Pity you are not near Tipperary and I would knock one together for you myself
Regards
Liam C

Thanks Pete missed the Nuc wording......... I need to go to spec savers lol

Hi Onymee,
I live about 10 miles from you and am a member of Kings Lynn beekeeping association. WWW.WNKLBA.CO.UK, on 26th May they are holding a beekeepers car boot on Sunday morning at 10.30. There may well be an assortment of secondhand stuff available a long with bees, everything will be cleaned and the bees will have been inspected prior to sale. Its a car boot not an auction and everything will be priced and no doubt up for a haggle.
There will also be a demo on the day, general inspections, swarm control, making nuc's, whatever needs doing basically.
Its being held at my home apiary, come along and have a look.
They are a friendly bunch and have taster sessions throughout spring and summer along with a good training programme from beginners to General husbandry, the website has all the details including my contact details if you want to chat.
I gave away 4 swarms last year....... who knows this year.
Pete D

Attended a committee meeting last night a a member will be bringing 20 assorted hives complete with bees to try and sell on the day at realistic prices. He is downsizing his operation by 20%.
Other members have expressed an interest in having a sort out and making some space by selling equipment and nuc's and colonies.
This sale is timed so the beginners will have finished their course and be looking for bees and eqipment.

Attended a committee meeting last night a a member will be bringing 20 assorted hives complete with bees to try and sell on the day at realistic prices. He is downsizing his operation by 20%.
Other members have expressed an interest in having a sort out and making some space by selling equipment and nuc's and colonies.
This sale is timed so the beginners will have finished their course and be looking for bees and eqipment.

That's a good idea for you Onymbee .... I'd look them up ... Phil

Last edited:
I'm very sure there is some kind beekeeper around Skegness that would be able to make you a sound hive from old unused timber that would cost nothing or if you an get a drawing or plan of the hive you would like to make a local woodworker would be able to help you or do a woodworking night class and make the hive there. Pity you are not near Tipperary and I would knock one together for you myself
Regards
Liam C

I have a feeling that I saw some pre used hives on ebay for sale in the Skegness area.

Back