Bee Stings Here goes!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob777

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My next door neighbour and his son have been stung whilst he was cutting his lawn, The Mrs has just come home so wish me the best tonight!!!!!

As a (new bee) myself.
I fully understand your dilemma my wife would kill me if it happend to me.
So all the best Bob

I always advocate that bees should not be kept in a close urban environment for that reason, I am always shouted down but now you have the hassle of moving them, sorry!
I wish you well and hope that you find a suitable home for them.

I always advocate that bees should not be kept in a close urban environment for that reason,

What sort of space / distance from neighbours or the general public would you think was OK?

Chris

A field! I would suggest 100 feet from neighbours would be minimum.
I have my tin hat on!!!!!

I was rally upset when my neighbours spotted my hive (even though I had no bees in it yet) in the garden and kicked up a stink.

In hindsight, it was a really good move finding an out apiary especially as my bees are a tad feisty.

I done a apiary meeting with an elderly couple a couple of days ago as they wanted bees in their garden, the garden was big enough but children next door and hedges/fences not tall enough but they looked after a field at the back of their house so that will be the only place for a hive.
Do a risk assessment and write down the pros and cons and if the cons out weight the pros scrap the idea

Good luck, i'd miss watching my bees with a cuppa of an evening, although come winter that'll be the case :(

Do you have the aforementioned fences separating you?

And - have you grovelled & offered them honey to 'sweeten' the situation?

This year has been difficult- bees feisty...many hives unsettled
I have someone to cut my lawns- he got stung - again- last week- I will have to block all the hives next week before he arrives. They are in an area next to my garden with a 12' hedge between-and really in the countryside.

I was sorting compost heap today- one just made a straight line for me and got me...

If they continue with this behaviour next year I will have to rethink... 10 hives ..will be a real pain to have to move them

My next door neighbour and his son have been stung whilst he was cutting his lawn, The Mrs has just come home so wish me the best tonight!!!!!

This is the second season the bees hae been there and they haven't noticed - but then again they are a strange bunch in Garnant!! Give me a call Rob (after the weekend) and we'll formulate a plan :D

Thanks everyone the hive is about 120ft from his house, How does he know that it was a bee not a wasp or a bumble bee?? I think he will be happy at the end of the month when he gets his free jar of honey?? wonder what he will say when the second hive goes down there??

Not really hes hardly out there..over the summer I think hes been out there maybe 10days only!!!!

LOL!!
Yeh, that just about sums up this summer. I was only thinking today that we are half way through August with nothing to look forward to but cold and rain. I was then dragged from my reverie by the torrential rain I was working in ;)

All I was saying is bees on a mission will take down targets a lot further than 40 yards from the hive.

Agreed. I'm lucky to have a 140ft garden, and the bees are right at the opposite end from the house, but I'd say it's only just far enough away for if they really lost their temper. One colony briefly got very defensive last year (I requeened them sharpish and they've been OK ever since). But just for a couple of days a guard bee regularly followed me almost up to the house.

There is a huge row of cypress trees between my garden and the neighbour, and a fence around the apiary as well, so the neighbours are fairly well protected, but to be honest even 100m might not be far enough if you're unlucky enough to have really stroppy bees. You can of course keep them in a smaller urban garden - loads of people do - but the risk of bother goes up sharply as the distance from the neighbours gets smaller... I certainly wouldn't like to keep them much under 100ft from the house/neighbours unless I had a foolproof "plan B".

When they're in a good mood, of course, it's an absolute delight to have them so close that you can sit and watch them on a sunny afternoon!

The law in France.

15 mètres des propriétés voisines ramenés à 10 mètres si celles-ci sont des bois ou des landes.
20 mètres de la voie publique.
50 mètres des établissements publics ou collectifs.
Ne sont assujetties à aucune prescription de distance, les ruches isolées des propriétés voisines ou de la voie publique par un mur, palissade en planches jointes, une haie vive ou sèche sans discontinuité.

Ces clôtures doivent avoir une hauteur de 2 mètres au-dessus du sol et s'étendre au moins à 2 mètres de chaque coté de la ruche ou des ruchers.

Oooop's, it's in French but you guys are clever.

Chris

The law in France.

15 mètres des propriétés voisines ramenés à 10 mètres si celles-ci sont des bois ou des landes.
20 mètres de la voie publique.
50 mètres des établissements publics ou collectifs.
Ne sont assujetties à aucune prescription de distance, les ruches isolées des propriétés voisines ou de la voie publique par un mur, palissade en planches jointes, une haie vive ou sèche sans discontinuité.

Ces clôtures doivent avoir une hauteur de 2 mètres au-dessus du sol et s'étendre au moins à 2 mètres de chaque coté de la ruche ou des ruchers.

Oooop's, it's in French but you guys are clever.

Chris

A allai gael cyfieithiad Cymraeg oes welwch yn dda! :)

On sat my father in law was mowing the lawns, he got chased and stung on the nose! Well you can imagine what happened to his face! I'm chuckling now as I'm typing...poor man! The whole family found it very funny.
It's the first time they've done this and he's mowed the lawn a few times this year.
My colony's are docile but on the odd occasion they have "kicked off! And one even followed me up to the house, the hives sit at the bottom of the garden which is just shy of 1 acre. If they can be that persistent at such a long distance who knows what they would do in a smaller area.
I don't have close neighbours but small urban gardens do, I couldn't handle the flak from neighbours being stung!

Family members I can handle.

:)

Latest posts

Back