I must have been a bad person in a previous life...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It's not even two weeks since the anniversary of our neighbouring farmer driving his quad bike out of a field entrance into the side of my wife's car. Unpleasant business, but all now sorted to our satisfaction if not his.

This morning my son was coming home from the local "town" in my car when another of our neighbours drove his tractor out of a field entrance completely blind and hit the side of the car with the front loader arms, ripping off the passenger side wing mirror and tearing out the door handle as well as leaving a gouge down almost the entire length of the car. Absolutely nothing my son could have done. There was nowhere for him to go. And six weeks before we were due to give the car to him on his return to uni.

Once he was home, we'd checked over the damage and parked the car out of the way my mother-in-law came over and said "I found this on the driver earlier today". In her hand she held the end of a suspension coil spring. That definitely wasn't there when my son stopped on the drive. Fun jacking up cars ensued and eventually I discovered that the driver's side front coil on my car had snapped off near the bottom. And both front shock gaiters had split.

Being easier to get a decent view of, I'd checked rear suspensions first. They were fine, but I also discovered that in the last week or so the rear exhaust mounting hook on my car has detached itself from the expansion chamber and will therefore require replacement.

Ball cocks.

"Never mind", I thought. "I can at least console myself by fitting the new bearings that have arrived for the bandsaw." They'd arrived this (Saturday) afternoon having been shipped by Royal Mail 48 on Monday afternoon and I have a load of jobs waiting for the bandsaw to be functioning again. Only instead of three bearings with a 7mm ID, they've sent two with the (correct) 7mm ID and one, marked up exactly the same, with a different inner shell giving 8mm ID so I'm still jiggered.

And as I've mentioned elsewhere, whilst I'm recovering (slowly), I've had Covid for the first time over last two weeks, which has mostly been crap. I'm currently managing about five or six hours awake before my body goes "Need to sleep now, thanks".

James

Sorry to hear all this James. Pretty cr@£p all round...on the covid front, listen to your body and allow yourself the time to rest. It's a shi££y virus that drains you completely. 2 weeks post recovery is still very early to be back to your 'normal' self and firing on all 4 cylinders.
Once your health is back, you'll have more strength etc to deal with the other sh££t. They say bad things come in 3s...maybe you've just had your 3 ! Get well soon...gradually. Covid knocked me sideways for a bit, and it took some time to get back to 'normal' dealing with the day to day norms (y).

Covid is pretty low rates round here. Didn't think you went anywhere. How did you pick that up? Really hope you feel better. I know the feeling with things going wrong, sometimes life just wants to get you down!

James, I feel for you mate. Sometimes it feels like if I didnt have bad luck, I would have no luck!
Main thing to remember is a car is only a piece of metal, at least your lads ok.

Look on the bright side, there must be a finite amount of bad luck in the world, and if you weren't getting it all I might get some!! 😁

I hope it turns around for you soon.

Covid is pretty low rates round here. Didn't think you went anywhere. How did you pick that up? Really hope you feel better. I know the feeling with things going wrong, sometimes life just wants to get you down!

Not sure how I got it, but I suspect my daughter picked it up at a very low level, then passed it on to me and subsequently my wife, so we're all struggling a bit at the moment.

James

so we're all struggling a bit at the moment.
Stan and I both got it as soon as things opened up a bit and we went to the pub. Stan was around four days ahead of me and was quite unwell. I tested positive a day before I was due to go to Berlin but had nothing but the shivers for a day. Daughter similar. Partner really unwell and had repercussions for a couple of months afterwards while she had no symptoms at all

I think we will all be invited for boosters again soon.
I hope you and your wife are feeling better soon.

Not in wales. Only if you are “at risk”
I won’t bother … but I’ll have the flu one.
same as in England - only 'at risk' will get it over there - they have announced that everyone else will have to pay for it.

The booster two years ago gave my wife PMR, a nasty thing that leaves you practically paralysed until they put you on steroids. Apparently it is a risk with live vaccines and has become more common now so many if us have been having COVID vaccines. Over 50's are at even more risk. Once on steroids it goes away but then it takes a year to wean you off steroids. Sadly she had a bad fall just as they were coming to an end and the stress caused a flair up so back on the steroids.nearly weaned off then again now but she can't have vaccines and therefore we have to be careful where we go.
No one warns you about possible side effects of vaccines that can kill you! To make the decision not to have boosters was hard but it is a risk we have decided not to take. Covid and everything round it was and still is a scary thing.

same as in England - only 'at risk' will get it over there - they have announced that everyone else will have to pay for it.
No, all 65+ and the vulnerable will be offered the Covid and flu jabs this side of Offa's Dyke, subject to final confirmation by NHS England. SWMBO and I have been recruited help in seven jab clinics in the local health centre. She does the data entry but I failed on a competency test so I'm on Registration: "Name?, please go and stand on one of the spots marked on the floor, it won't be long."
NB: we have a 'Pub night' in the village hall every 2-3 months. We were too lazy to attend the last event two weeks ago but four friends we might have sat with got the lergi, two of whom are still quite poorly. Two other friends returned from hols in Canada four weeks ago and one was really ill and needed all the steroids and antivirals etc.........

As far as I'm aware I've still not had it yet, and confirmed by antibody test at least until last September (about to do another).
Having worked on ICU all through the pandemic & seen lots of people die, I will take any opportunity I get to get vaccinated & would advise others to do the same unless they have had a (rare) adverse reaction to the vaccines.
Vaccination, globally, has saved more lives than anything else except the provision of clean water!

No, all 65
I stand corrected
This from Welsh NHS

The Joint Committee for Vaccinations and Immunisation advice recommends an additional COVID-19 autumn booster will be offered to:

residents in a care home for older adults
all adults aged 65 years and over
persons aged 6 months to 64 years in a clinical risk group, as defined in tables 3 and 4 of the COVID-19 chapter of the Green Book
frontline health and social care workers
persons aged 12 to 64 years who are household contacts, as defined in the Green Book, of people with immunosuppression
persons aged 16 to 64 years who are carers, as defined in the Green Book, and staff working in care homes for older adults

No, all 65+ and the vulnerable will be offered the Covid and flu jabs this side of Offa's Dyke
That's what I meant, sorry - I just took as granted that all coffin dodgers would be offered a free jab but all under 65's apart from 'at risk' would have to pay.

The booster two years ago gave my wife PMR, a nasty thing that leaves you practically paralysed until they put you on steroids. Apparently it is a risk with live vaccines and has become more common now so many if us have been having COVID vaccines. Over 50's are at even more risk. Once on steroids it goes away but then it takes a year to wean you off steroids. Sadly she had a bad fall just as they were coming to an end and the stress caused a flair up so back on the steroids.nearly weaned off then again now but she can't have vaccines and therefore we have to be careful where we go.
No one warns you about possible side effects of vaccines that can kill you! To make the decision not to have boosters was hard but it is a risk we have decided not to take. Covid and everything round it was and still is a scary thing.
My partner had the third jab and has regreted it ever since.
I refused the third one, no regrets.
Everyone I know who had the jabs got covid, including me..
Not a single person I know and I know several who refused the vaccine, got covid.
If two don't work why would 3,4 etc. The boss of astrazeneca said anymore than two is pointless.
It will be private companies raking it in as they have done throughout the 'crises'.

My partner had the third jab and has regreted it ever since.
I refused the third one, no regrets.
Everyone I know who had the jabs got covid, including me..
Not a single person I know and I know several who refused the vaccine, got covid.
If two don't work why would 3,4 etc. The boss of astrazeneca said anymore than two is pointless.
It will be private companies raking it in as they have done throughout the 'crises'.
There is good evidence the severity is much reduced following vaccination even if infections still do occur.

Vaccine induced immunity falls over time, additionally the more recent vaccines have been tweaked to give more protection against newer variants which had partially escaped from protection by the older vaccines.

It's wonderful how they are playin with this covid agenda. I don't deny the danger of covid for some people but it seems to mee it's not so black. For example, here it's not the matter any more. Nobody cares whether you are vaccinated, have boosters or not. Nobody is monitoring new cases. (I remember tv programms with a counter at the corner showing new cases and the ammount of vaccinated people). Nobody wears masks. Nobody needs to have special covid ID or the test. Nobody is talking about it. Covid and vaccination issue have vanished. Of course there is an another issue, more dangerous but I'm amused how suddenly covid agenda disappeared.

Pretty cr@£p all round...on shi££y virus other sh££t

You're right. Thanks! Added to my vocabulary as tolerable phrases ;)

It is now known that any live vaccines can aggravate even the smallest signs of rheumatism. Interestingly, after I first started having flu vaccinations my knees got so bad I could hardly climb the stairs, since my wife had the PMR scare ( which was very very scary) we both have had no vaccines at all. This year I have had no joint pains at all. I feel so healthy in comparison. I am NOT suggesting that vaccines aren't useful and save millions of lives and many illnesses but there is a definite lack of information on side effects that may be affecting thousands. I am also aware that this could be coincidence but we have these vaccines in the belief that they can only do good and that might not necessarily be true.

Everyone I know who had the jabs got covid,
I've had every jab and booster from day one and have not had covid yet
I know a few around here who refused all the jabs, one spent a couple of months in a coma, one (maybe two) died, all covid related

Latest posts

Back