BBKA education

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In fact, your summary of it being indoctrination in the "one true faith" is comical, and widely inaccurate.

Do always find that one amusing. Never met two beekeepers who can agree on anything, let alone an entire national committee sitting down and deciding that bees shall be kept thusly and no other way will do.

It plays into the evil association myth though so I can see why it's touted around a lot.

Not entirely sure what the incentive or motivation is supposed to be to steer new beekeepers down a certain style of beekeeping. It's not like Thornes or Phil Chandler pay me commission for every beekeeper I send their way.

At least if you do the course or courses you can make an educated decision that you're not going to do this, or you're going to use that technique or type of hive.

(sadly, often the opposite happens, "other" ways are painted as being of the very devil, and to be avoided)
Must resist.... :D

I think it'd be really healthy - all shades of opinion/hive/techniques vying with each other to offer the best/most fun/colourful/expensive* courses

*there are people who are convinced that if it's pricey, it has to be the best.....:rofl:

As has already been pointed out, noones ever going to agree as to "what's right" - so I reckon the only way is to welcome them all - if people WANT a BBKA type course they can have it

I think what I'm suggesting is that everybody is "grown up" about it - to demand that it has a bias in one way or another means that there will probably be a split, and we'd end up with 2 similar setups, which doesn't do a lot for the fact that whatever our differences, we're all beekeepers - if I'm willing to welcome "conventional" teaching, then all I ask is that a similar tolerance be shown both ways - if someone wants to offer a course on skep beekeeping, fine, if they want to explain how to use garish placcy beer coolers, that's fine too...........

Interesting thread.....will there be any, more advanced, real beekeeping courses included in this scheme.

No argument from me, more you can learn the better. the local agricultural college runs a beekeeping course near us. £225 for 5 days +£6 for the suit hire.

More I learn, the more it becomes clear to me that however you want to dress it up beekeeping is basically beekeeping. When we mention Thymol it's a chemical, when a "natural" beekeeper mentions it then it's magically transformed into an organic treatment. Either way, it kills varroa.

It's not "my" scheme anymore, I've just punted the idea, and made some suggestions as to how I reckon it could be made to work - I'm hoping admin gives it wings and lets it fly!

"will there be any, more advanced, real beekeeping courses included in this scheme" - that would be my hope, that people would be willing to put together courses/modules for whatever people want to learn about, and in the sort of format they want (broad info, hobbyist, serious exam-type, mentored, free, paid-for). IF it takes off, and I hope it does, it could develop into THE place that people go to if they're seeking knowledge about bees and beekeeping

Sorry Bros....by real, i was meaning hands on courses that could be booked via this scheme....there are some things you just cannot learn from doing a course on a computer.

= = =

Give us a lick of your lolly BroAndy, all this talk of money makes me dizzy. I noticed you being very kind to someone the other day, I hope you had a good season and the girls are all just about tucked up for the winter. :)

I almost missed the bun fight too. I should have booked ring side seats. Perhaps we could share a bag of popcorn at the next bash? Comfy seats of course. :)

Certainly no one seems short of an opinion or two on this thread of late, it's been a lively discussion..
You can have a lick of mi ice cream any time and to share sum popcorn whooooooooooopie and you can sit on mi fence next to mi will be great yo will see a lot of red faces spitting feathers its so funny looooooooooooool

"i was meaning hands on courses that could be booked via this scheme" - I do hope so! I agree, online learning is no complete substitute for "hands on", but it can help fill holes in people's knowledge, so that when they do get to "do it for real" they've had the benefit of some theoretical knowledge in advance.
I noticed "the need" after the first local association meeting - a month before the next one, eager to learn..........

Latest posts

Back