BBKA education

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my association (with about 20 active members), there are two of us who have submitted ourselves to the BBKA exams. Interestingly, this provoked the response of one our most experienced practical beekeeepers "the association is getting too academic". For him, beekeeping is an important part of his working life, he manages >50 hives and has been doing it for 40 years. I work fulltime in an office, have managed 2-3 hives for 3 years, and therefore haven't see the range of colony management issues that the old hands do. So for me, the exams offer a way of extending my knowledge at a rate faster than practical experience allows.

I've done the basic, mods 1+2, and am planning to do 3 next year. The basic, and mod 1 should be within the capability of most beekeepers after 2-3 years. I didn't enjoy mod 2 (never been interested in the intricacies of honey and wax processing), but it did force me to think about it. Hopefully module 3 (bee diseases) will be more interesting and useful. Mod 5 (anatomy) will be interesting (in 2012 for me), particularly in conjunction with the microscopy certificate - this is a practically oriented exam which also relates well to module 3.

In David Cramp's book he describes getting NDB as like getting a degree - and I wouldn't disagree. I haven't done an Open Uni course, but I suspect a part time degree would take 5-7 years. This seems comparable to NDB, both in time elapsed, and effort involved. One could study for 2 (or 3) modules a year, but that makes for a lot of evenings and weekend study. For me, that would be too much of a time commitment, and takes some of the fun out of it.

Having not done any exams for nearly 20 years, it's been fun to start that process over. If you've had an academic training, then the early modules are relatively easy to self-direct your study in. I don't know about the more advanced ones. However, many people do not have the self-confidence (in written work) that studying for a degree or further advanced studies confers - I can see that mentorship and/or directed learning would be a sensible way to build that confidence.

If you've had an academic training, then the early modules are relatively easy to self-direct your study in. I don't know about the more advanced ones. However, many people do not have the self-confidence (in written work) that studying for a degree or further advanced studies confers - I can see that mentorship and/or directed learning would be a sensible way to build that confidence.

Don't forget their is also a practical route. You can take your general husbandry / advanced husbandry.

These are practical based exams which in the former case is at your home apiary and the latter case normally Stoneleigh. These are ideally suited to those who have no interest in the academic/written exam side of things.

Adam

Good point. The microscopy certificate is also very practical - the exam is a demonstration of dissection/slidemaking/pollen ID. Provided you have access to microscopes, of course!

Good point. The microscopy certificate is also very practical - the exam is a demonstration of dissection/slidemaking/pollen ID. Provided you have access to microscopes, of course!

Many clubs have microscopes, and if not at club level, it's always worth checking at county level.

Adam

What are peeps views on the BBKA modules and husbandry exams.

Are they useful? If so why, If not why not?

What about distance learning?

They have given people almost insurmountable barriers:

Time - who the hell wants to spend as much time as it takes to become a doctor or vet to get a vastly lesser qualification.

Once qualified - where are you going to get a job that repays the devotion put in to getting the qualification - satisfaction of a job well done went out donkey years ago - it was a fallacy anyway and new kids on the block aren't interested.

Will it make you a better bee-keeper - as even those with everything at their disposal, lose colonies for reasons they do not understand - doubtful.

The 'syllabus' smacks of the whole being split into smaller parts and being charged manageable chunks of dosh.

It doesn't appeal to modern ideas and appears to be poorly thought out by archaic fuddy duddies.

It's suspicious and there appear undertones of hoped for licensing in the future and the consequent requirement for newbies to undergo testing before they can have hives. Empire building in the formation!

On a local level, we're being told it's £80 for 10 two hour lessons, that's for the basic assessment through winter months, which can't be passed until you have kept bees for a year. As said, poorly constructed and thought out - if you knock the coconut off, you want a prize now not later..

The internet: I have absolute confidence in this forum alone, that if I took a photograph of something that bothered me in one of my hives and posted it here, I would have an answer to my query within an hour or less. That kind of result is learning on a ramped up version that saves - time - vast amounts of it.

I am also confident that I would receive knowledgable answers and advice on the way forward to deal with the matter. PLUS, others would gain from my problem being aired in public so to speak, as we all do from others doing the same thing.

For me, that is the modern way forward, 'hands on' - plenty of readily available back up and support and a whole heap of experienced, interested aficionados keen to see their suggestions bearing fruit.

At the last local association meeting. It was announced that if you wanted to keep bees on allotments, then the Allotment Association would insist on you having the Basic Exam under your belt. I got the impression that this is currently under discussion and not a requirement at present.

Can anyone deny or confirm this?

At the last local association meeting. It was announced that if you wanted to keep bees on allotments, then the Allotment Association would insist on you having the Basic Exam under your belt. I got the impression that this is currently under discussion and not a requirement at present.

Can't comment but this is what I was saying in my reply above yours - exams for all - compulsory.

Qualifications won't stop the bees from stinging but they might stop the allotments from having any bees.

On a local level, we're being told it's £80 for 10 two hour lessons, that's for the basic assessment through winter months, which can't be passed until you have kept bees for a year. As said, poorly constructed and thought out - if you knock the coconut off, you want a prize now not later..

the ten 2hr lessons are generally to teach you the basics of bee-keeping, not to pass the 'basic' exam.
but, you seem to know everything already, so you'll be alright!!

yep same here, BBKA basic or for those already on allotments now exemption with five year exepereince

new beeks can have a hive but must be mentored and have to be actively seeking to take the basic exam and have been on a course run by BKA affiliated to BBKA,
must carry BBKA insurance as well or arrange specific £5m liability insurancet

H&S creeping cloud of over cautiousness

our allotment association doesn't do this yet, but does insist on the Beek having public liability insurance.

i seen a best practice briefing note that some Local authorities have drawn up it includes, mainly in london

6ft screen around bee hives
no more than 3 hives
BBKA basic exam
emergency contact telephone number on hive

and a first aid kit

so what in the first aid kit!!!!!!!, i assume soeone has done a risk assement and thought ahhhhh Bees they are dangerous

i seen a best practice briefing note that some Local authorities have drawn up it includes, mainly in london

6ft screen around bee hives
no more than 3 hives
BBKA basic exam
emergency contact telephone number on hive

and a first aid kit

so what in the first aid kit!!!!!!!, i assume soeone has done a risk assement and thought ahhhhh Bees they are dangerous

Bees can be dangerous, see this forum for evidence!! (rosti et al 2010)

the ten 2hr lessons are generally to teach you the basics of bee-keeping, not to pass the 'basic' exam.
but, you seem to know everything already, so you'll be alright!!

The "Know everything" is a cheap comment and unhelpful in allowing free discussion and often suppresses free thought and its expression among those disinclined to have to argue for improvements.

There can be little interest in your thoughts on my thoughts due to your poor, smug, snide attitude and particularly in view of the fact that the original poster's request for input on the subject has not been met by you.

The original poster asked what people thought and I gave my thoughts.

'That's for the basic assessment through winter months, which can't be passed until you have kept bees for a year.' was a mere allusion of that and for the intelligent to recognise not for the challenged to pull apart to guffaw about.

You did though - well done.

Some Farmers Markets et al insist on basic certificate before you can sell your honey via them.

I'll bet that there are many Bee Farmers that don't hold a basic certificate. I would have thought that an allotment society would be interested in a relevant degree of experience, an appropriate backup plan/mentor and relevant insurance cover. The farmers markets I would have thought should be looking for relevant product liability insurance cover and not a basic certificate.

You don't need to be a doctor to sell band aids, after all.

Funny you should say that because most medical personel will pass an injured person unless its life or death due to possibly being sued as they dont hold the british red cross first aid certificate.

Thats the problem with many organisations,they like to get a shoe on to goverment white papers by demanding their basic certificates are held by all practicing members.

You make it a mandatory piece of legislation and your membership/income goes up.

Always beware of false profits..

I The farmers markets I would have thought should be looking for relevant product liability insurance cover and not a basic certificate.

Sorry Hombre, it's a fact not an opinion.

I'll bet that there are many Bee Farmers that don't hold a basic certificate. I would have thought that an allotment society would be interested in a relevant degree of experience, an appropriate backup plan/mentor and relevant insurance cover. The farmers markets I would have thought should be looking for relevant product liability insurance cover and not a basic certificate.

The basic certificate is just that. It's a piece of paper that says you should have the basic knowledge. Whether for allotments or farmers markets. Just as the food handling certificate that you're supposed to hold if you work in a kitchen doesn't mean you can cook like Gordon Ramsey the basic certificate guarantees nothing. But it should mean that you know how to handle bees as after all you need to have kept bees for a year to take it, know the basic requirements to prepare, jar and label honey, how to set out an apiary and so on so in many respects it doesn't surprise me that more places are starting to ask for it as a requirement.

I know this raises issues around new, urban, beekeepers finding sites when allotments want you to have the certificate before hand and it's something I'm looking into as education officer for our association

Step one: Basic certificate issued by the BBKA.
Step two: compulsory registration overseen by the BBKA.

No thanks...

Latest posts

Back