Battery Strimmer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philat98

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Someone stole my old Husqvarna 35cc petrol strimmer last night. I was thinking of replacing it with an electric battery model.
Does anyone have experience of these. I need something with similar power.

My Makita seems good, and takes the same batteries as my instantvap 🙂
I switched as the petrol one I had stopped working - probably because of gummed 2-stroke fuel. Battery is so much easier!

Note that the motor is in the strimmer head, so even if "split shaft" you won't be able to use accessories you may have for your old strimmer eg hedge-trimmers

I have a battery operated makita brush cutter. Has a detachable head so can convert to a strimmer. It also splits in half so I can get it in the car. It does an excellent job keeping the brambles etc under control around the hives. It’s not too heavy either.

Thanks for your replies. It looks like a 40V strimmer is roughly equivalent to a 35cc petrol model.

I have various ryobi +1 tools and four batteries, I added a hedge trimmer which is excellent and a strimmer . The strimmer isn't too bad though I only bought a lesser lightweight model.
The strimmer straps nicely to the rear deck of my cargo bike and has an extendable handle/shaft..

I have various ryobi +1 tools and four batteries, I added a hedge trimmer which is excellent and a strimmer . The strimmer isn't too bad though I only bought a lesser lightweight model.
The strimmer straps nicely to the rear deck of my cargo bike and has an extendable handle/shaft..
I have a Ryobi 18V strimmer but it is too feeble. Also quite heavy. The robbers were not impressed either and didnt take it. The Ryobi 18v chainsaw is very good.

I have been dithering over buying battery-powered garden tools for some time, but recently discovered that it is now possible to get converters between quite a few battery types for around the £30 mark, which means you don't need to commit to a single manufacturer's battery "ecosystem" (though the converters don't necessarily work for charging, so the appropriate charger may be required). Makes me much happier because within reason it means I can buy the tools that have good reviews and still be able to swap batteries around rather than having to commit to one brand that may sell (say) a good hedgetrimmer, but a poor strimmer.

(And I see no reason why the converters wouldn't work with the Instant Vap either.)

James

I have been dithering over buying battery-powered garden tools for some time, but recently discovered that it is now possible to get converters between quite a few battery types for around the £30 mark, which means you don't need to commit to a single manufacturer's battery "ecosystem" (though the converters don't necessarily work for charging, so the appropriate charger may be required). Makes me much happier because within reason it means I can buy the tools that have good reviews and still be able to swap batteries around rather than having to commit to one brand that may sell (say) a good hedgetrimmer, but a poor strimmer.

(And I see no reason why the converters wouldn't work with the Instant Vap either.)

James
You might think that there would be an international standard for Li batteries. It seems we have a free for all.

You might think that there would be an international standard for Li batteries. It seems we have a free for all.

I believe there is one, but none of the "big boys" follow it because they like to use the battery investment to tie people into their brand.

James

I have a battery operated makita brush cutter. Has a detachable head so can convert to a strimmer. It also splits in half so I can get it in the car. It does an excellent job keeping the brambles etc under control around the hives. It’s not too heavy either.
I bought the 36v Makita multi tool with brush cutter and chain saw. I tested it today and it works very well. Nearly as powerful as the 35cc Husqvarna.

I too am for Stihl, just make sure the battery fits other tools too, an instantvap for example 😄

I have always used thisView attachment 38701 with the fuel in 2strokes (and the mower), never had a problem starting and gumming up
Secret is to run them dry before putting into storage, same with 2 stroke outboards. Carburettors gum up.

I think that even with 4 stroke there are so many additives in the fuel that they are best left empty over winter. When I had an Austin Seven a couple of years ago the advice was fresh fuel to avoid carb problems - ethanol was reckoned to be less that an advantageous additive when it came on the scene

Back