Solar Panel Storage Batteries

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have two wood burners and have not had the heating at all.

We have the heating on, but only at a low temperature to keep the structure of the house dry (the house is hundreds of years old and has no DPC or anything like that so can get damp easily). Otherwise we're using woodburners in whichever room we're mostly occupying at the time. The thermometer on my desk is reading 17.5°C at the moment and to be honest I'm quite warm. The bedrooms are probably cooler, but I believe that's a healthy thing. And I hate over-warm bedrooms anyhow.

James

We’re the same, using the wood burners, with the electric heating off.
A word of caution - the burning of wood for heating, has just been outlawed in California apparently. No doubt seen as a “loophole” preventing everyone being fully dependent on electricity, with “smart meters”, which is the government‘s aim. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the policy spread in America, then cross the pond.

A word of caution - the burning of wood for heating, has just been outlawed in California apparently. No doubt seen as a “loophole” preventing everyone being fully dependent on electricity, with “smart meters”, which is the government‘s aim. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the policy spread in America, then cross the pond.
Gove was talking about banning wood burners.
They need everyone hooked up to the grid to pay for the squillions that Chinese built power station is going to cost.
At the time EDF were promised the most expensive electric tariff on earth.

Hey James! I understand the importance of keeping an old house dry, especially during the colder months. Using a low-temperature heating system and wood burners in the occupied rooms is a great solution to keep warm without sacrificing the health of your home.
If you're interested in exploring more sustainable heating options, you might want to consider a DIY off-grid solar system kit from https://www.dragonsbreathsolar.co.uk/product/diy-off-grid-solar-system-kits/. These kits provide everything you need to set up your own solar power system, including solar panels, an inverter, and a battery storage system. This way, you can generate your own renewable energy to power your heating system and other household appliances.

Last edited:
The impression I have from a few people who have them installed is that ASHP isn't always straightforward to get working well. When it does work well (including everyone understanding that you can't have it deliver huge amounts of heat to warm up a house from cold really fast), it's great. If it's not configured well, then it can be quite disappointing. It may be that not all the people who install ASHP have the ability, or are willing to spend the time, to get it set up to work as best it can. I really don't know.

James
I understood that unless its fitted at the time of build, retro fitting of any of the HSP's is largely a waste of time with our leaky under insulated houses. Our neighbour paid a fortune for a GSHP and it barely keeps their 1930's house warm enough.

I understood that unless its fitted at the time of build, retro fitting of any of the HSP's is largely a waste of time with our leaky under insulated houses. Our neighbour paid a fortune for a GSHP and it barely keeps their 1930's house warm enough.
If it was fitted under the government’s RHI it would have had to have been designed around the insulation of the property to get the payments.
If it doesn’t achieve the desig temperatures it’s not be installed correctly.

Sorry for the late reply, but I wanted to give my two cents. Installing a battery is a smart move. I'd recommend checking out some local battery installation companies, and maybe getting a few quotes. While I don't have personal experience with battery installations, I've recently used lifepo4 cylindrical cells and was seriously impressed by their quality, durability, and performance. They're rock solid! The company I got them from offers a wide range of products, so you might want to explore their full selection to find something that fits your solar setup perfectly.

Last edited:
Since this thread started I have had batteries so my 32 PV panels and my Air Source Heat Pump and my 11 kWh of batteries together with a woodburner when necessary keep my 1850s house cosy warm. The batteries were the best buy keeping my average kw electric cost down to 9p. 😀

Since this thread started I have had batteries so my 32 PV panels and my Air Source Heat Pump and my 11 kWh of batteries together with a woodburner when necessary keep my 1850s house cosy warm. The batteries were the best buy keeping my average kw electric cost down to 9p. 😀

What's the total capacity of the PV panels? When ours were installed we weren't allowed more than 4kW peak output, but I'm tempted to add more even if they're not linked up to the mains.

James

The Prime Minister of Portugal has just resigned due to corruption linked to lithium extraction and green hydrogen production plants.

We use batteries on our system as well. Its the overnight tariff that we use to charge up the batteries that's the huge money saver.

4.5kw solar array

20kWh battery storage system

5kw Inverter

and an overnight rate to charge the batteries of 4.5p per KWH.

We just charge them up fully overnight from the grid (along with the car, dishwasher, washing machine, tumble dryer all moved to cheap overnight rate. Then use the batteries in the day and sell the solar panel electricity back to the grid at 12.5p per Kwh.

We had the system installed 2 years ago. 18 months more and its already paid for itself! We dont really pay anything apart from a few £ in the coldest depths of winter.

Lets not talk about the ASHP though. In summer. 10/10. In winter 0/10.

It's not that it doesn't work. I can have the house VERY warm in the middle of winter. Costs about £45-£50 per day though on 11kwh ASHP. Our house is old and badly insulated.

We just use the log burners instead and run the ASHP to heat the water up overnight on the cheap electricity
To make an ASHP work efficiently you need to adequately insulate prior to installation.
My company would not have installed your system if the heat loss calcs were not showing that your house could not have been adequately heated at reasonable cost.
Sounds like our installer is a cowboy.

What's the total capacity of the PV panels? When ours were installed we weren't allowed more than 4kW peak output, but I'm tempted to add more even if they're not linked up to the mains.

James
I have two lots of 4.2 kW. They are separate as I have two incoming electric lines and meters ( double the standing charge! ) One does the batteries and the house and one heats the annexe, and ( dare I say it) the indoor swimming pool. I am not allowed to discharge to the grid for money (above 3.6 kW) as the lines here can't take it but you can import at 7p and export at 15p so it is,possible improve any payback time if you are so inclined

If it was fitted under the government’s RHI it would have had to have been designed around the insulation of the property to get the payments.
If it doesn’t achieve the desig temperatures it’s not be installed correctly.
Don't place too much reliance on that theory when private companies contributions pay for the existence of the registration bodies. Greener Living sent an EPC assessor before producing the quote, installing the equipment and arranging the RHI registration. That didn't help when I had problems and complained to HIES. HIES didn't help beyond suggesting NAPIT would help. (NAPIT did help a lot and kicked the company into action to modify the system. Having sorted the mechanical aspect left financial and operational problems which should have been resolved by HIES but they chose to accept Greener Living fairy tales. In the end it was simpler to engage the pump makers to rectify the problems.
To make an ASHP work efficiently you need to adequately insulate prior to installation.
My company would not have installed your system if the heat loss calcs were not showing that your house could not have been adequately heated at reasonable cost.
Sounds like our installer is a cowboy.
I discovered to my cost even national companies can wear stetson's.😞

Banning the installation (and then no doubt use) of wood burners is already being mentioned. What makes me more infuriated than anything is the fact that our old barn is b***dy listed. It leaches heat, forget double glazing and the south facing roofing that could house 20 solar panels can’t be used for that. When will the Historic England/idiot Listed Building Officers wake up and smell the daisies? Rant over 😆 and have a good day everyone.

Banning the installation (and then no doubt use) of wood burners is already being mentioned. What makes me more infuriated than anything is the fact that our old barn is b***dy listed. It leaches heat, forget double glazing and the south facing roofing that could house 20 solar panels can’t be used for that. When will the Historic England/idiot Listed Building Officers wake up and smell the daisies? Rant over 😆 and have a good day everyone.
I agree that listing is a farce. I wouldnt touch a house with any listing. My daughter has an old barn with a horse drawn cider press in that is listed. It is just falling into bits because she cant do anything with it. Stupid way to try and preserve old things by saying you cant change them!

Latest posts

Back