Bait boxes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I guess yesterday was a very swarmy day, so I checked my bait boxes this morning. Not occupied, but all ( 6 of them) have a number of scout bees checking them out. Hopefully, I'll have at least one more colony by the end of the week.

Good luck, not even a scout seen here yet.

I live in hope though...

PH

How do you tell a swarm scout from bees just looking for honey to rob, if there is a difference that is??

How do you tell a swarm scout from bees just looking for honey to rob, if there is a difference that is??

simply by having a positive attitude.........

I've had one box out so far and it received loads of attention and so far have caught a small cast swarm.

I put one up last Wednesday and had a swarm on Saturday moved them into a box next morning.
Just checked and have bees covering 4 frames and queen that has laid up one frame of eggs.
Don't you just love it when that happens.

My home garden is full with scouts loads zipping about, I think I have a beek about a mile away who hasn't checked his hives..

Lots of activity checking out the bait boxes. Different to robbing and there is no honey in any of the bait boxes to take, just 1/2 an old manky brood comb in each one. The scout bees check out the box inside and out, crawling all over it. Apparently, they are able to measure the size of the cavity this way. They can go back and say Yup its 15" by 15" by 15" which the books have told them is the optimum size.

PMA according to one of our Sales Managers - Positive Mental Attitude. I hate him btw beacuse I'm a realist.

can i use a super with an eke as bait box or would that too big?

I put one up last Wednesday and had a swarm on Saturday moved them into a box next morning.
Just checked and have bees covering 4 frames and queen that has laid up one frame of eggs.
Don't you just love it when that happens.

I wouldnt know... 4 bait boxes , so far two wasp nests, one wrens nest ( obviously big asperations !!) and a woodpecker redesigning the outside. :mad:

Ah well PMA didnt work. No takers.
I think my neighbouring allotment holder was successful. Difference is that his box was more shaded, so I'll move mine to a more shaded area.

Latest posts

Back