Asian Hornet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
May I ask what all your Assoc/Div across the country are doing to inform Joe Public about this incoming AH?

Do you have AHAT teams starting up and what action are they specifically taking?

We are distributing posters where possible, - libraries, garden centres etc but may be missing an important outlet.
Your thoughts?

At Epping Forest we had a conference last spring; 100 turned up to hear Bob Hogge (Jersey BKA), Andrew Durham (Cambridge BKA), Peter Davies (NBU/RBI), Steve Auty (BFA) and Tim Drinkwater (Toulouse pest controller). We invited neighbouring BKAs and gardening clubs, environmental groups and so on; good to see that the non-beekeepers were up to speed. Tim exhibited giant photos of nests; Andrew explored traps and defences; Bob talked practical strategy; Peter Davies gave the NBU/EU story; our Sec. gave a short course in ID.

We promoted the ID app to everybody (still do), and our Sec. volunteered to spend a week with Bob in Jersey last September, hunting AH all hours (she never saw the beach); this year we're part-sponsoring four members £100 each to go again, and we have a small WhatsApp group that posts updates, ready to do the legwork when the time comes.

Fortunately for the UK global cooling is likely to impede incursions of velutina.

it seems that some are getting excited about the possibility of an all out plague.
Seems to satisfy their need to feed their self importance
fortunately the MSM is tied up with COVID-19 scaremongering to be concerned with the Asian Yellow Peril for the time being. However later on in the summer it will return with a vengeance. :rolleyes:

If the Asian Hornet becomes established in the UK as it has in France we are all comprehensively stuffed. Across Essex we have an active and effective plan to stop this beast in its tracks. Complacency in France has led to an unstoppable invasion, with many colonies destroyed much to the chagrin of French beekeepers. I am really surprised at the negative response to the initiatives at Epping Forrest. Shame on you.

If the Asian Hornet becomes established in the UK as it has in France we are all comprehensively stuffed.

Really? I know a few beekeepers in France - slap bang in the middle of AH country - yes, it's hard work but they by no means consider them selves 'comprehensively stuffed' it's this kind of hand wringing hysterics that helps noone.
and once again makes British beekeepers the laughing stock of the world.
I think this would be more apt

dont panic.jpg

Last edited:
If the Asian Hornet becomes established in the UK as it has in France we are all comprehensively stuffed. Across Essex we have an active and effective plan to stop this beast in its tracks. Complacency in France has led to an unstoppable invasion, with many colonies destroyed much to the chagrin of French beekeepers. I am really surprised at the negative response to the initiatives at Epping Forrest. Shame on you.

You should talk to Richard Noel who is in France and Mark Mazurek in Portugal ( where the problem has been far worse than France)? Both are coping and it’s something we all will cope with as well.

And since there has been no fresh genetic input since day one (all the French AH's are descended from the one queen) it won't belong before we see there being regressive traits and their slow collapse.

All joking aside then, I think our greatest worry is Small Hive Beetle. I'm thinking of starting up a network of action groups to get prepared for that invasion I think I shall call them the

SmallHivebeetleActionTeams

Last edited:
way weather is at moment,,,, most would drown!

I was being quite serious. Solar physicists are predicting a grand solar minimum which if the predictions come to pass will see harsh winters and short summers making it very difficult for Velutina to survive let alone thrive.

Just as well we have global warming to offset the solar minimum.
..perhaps we need to ramp up co2 production?🙄

I was being quite serious. Solar physicists are predicting a grand solar minimum which if the predictions come to pass will see harsh winters and short summers making it very difficult for Velutina to survive let alone thrive.

Trump saves the world?

Just as well we have global warming to offset the solar minimum.
..perhaps we need to ramp up co2 production?🙄

Wouldn't worry. We don't need more CO2 when we have plenty of other greenhouse gases such as oxygen and nitrogen.

Which solar physicists are these?

Latest posts

Back