Asian hornet APP

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have the new Asian hornet app on your smartphone

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree we can’t rely on our political leaders. The examples I saw at the conference show Galicia in Spain with E30m impact on fruit production due to the reduction in pollinators but a budget of E11m now needed to make an impact.

This is why the NBU in my opinion redirected resources this year . Like wasps there may be good years and bad years for Vv especially in the northern part of our countries.

We all still need to do our bit like climate change :top down (government departments) and bottom up (us sharing the APP and educating the public) but not putting traps out unless they are guaranteed Vv specific - none on the market yet
Some traps are Vv specific. If the entrances are set to allow Vv and not Crabo and exit set to allow smaller by catch and not Vv.

Around here the beekeeping associations have got together and bulk ordered the “Gard Apis“ traps that (apparently) prevent by catch.
I have two which will be deployed to catch queens and later on, the workers.

I have three gard apis sitting in my bee shed since June, one each will be deployed with sweet bait in late Feb /early March just in case any V.v Q's have made their way up this way. T.B.Wells & Maidstone where nests were detected aren't that far from me as the crow or V.v flies.

I have three gard apis sitting in my bee shed since June, one each will be deployed with sweet bait in late Feb /early March just in case any V.v Q's have made their way up this way. T.B.Wells & Maidstone where nests were detected aren't that far from me as the crow or V.v flies.
From 50 to 80 km per year of progress depending on the characteristics of the place (altitude, flora, etc.)

Some traps are Vv specific. If the entrances are set to allow Vv and not Crabo and exit set to allow smaller by catch and not Vv.
Can you let me know which trap pls is available that is only V brlutima specific?

. At the conference it was said by the Guernsey experts none of the traps on the market will only trap Vv. V crabo and wood wasps for instance. They also said any by catch other than Vv was bad PR with the public. They actually adapt traps to minimise by catch which make them very expensive. For all these reasons trapping is only used for a very narrow window for virgins v early in the season for a month.

Traps were on sale at the conference but when questioned the sellers were embarrassed to admit some by catch are forfeited. Includes the Veta pharma trap.

Throughout the sessions the speaker experts including NBU gave the message don’t use traps wait for direction and a proper protocol from NBU / due v soon

A real eye opener for me

We all still need to do our bit like climate change :top down (government departments) and bottom up (us sharing the APP and educating the public) but not putting traps out unless they are guaranteed Vv specific - none on the market yet
https://www.gardapis.co.uk/

Can you let me know which trap pls is available that is only V brlutima specific?

. At the conference it was said by the Guernsey experts none of the traps on the market will only trap Vv. V crabo and wood wasps for instance. They also said any by catch other than Vv was bad PR with the public. They actually adapt traps to minimise by catch which make them very expensive. For all these reasons trapping is only used for a very narrow window for virgins v early in the season for a month.

Traps were on sale at the conference but when questioned the sellers were embarrassed to admit some by catch are forfeited. Includes the Veta pharma trap.

Throughout the sessions the speaker experts including NBU gave the message don’t use traps wait for direction and a proper protocol from NBU / due v soon

A real eye opener for me
I tried a Veta Pharma trap .
Plus/: cheap,easy to use
ConSSSS: catches European Hornets, large moths .
Stopped using it as it was a massacre.

When it comes to government it would not surprise me that they may and will profit from Vespa V in UK. Trust them at your peril. Especially when some corporation is flashing cash and chucking it into the pig feeding frenzy. Use your own brain solve your own problema

When it comes to government it would not surprise me that they may and will profit from Vespa V in UK. Trust them at your peril. Especially when some corporation is flashing cash and chucking it into the pig feeding frenzy. Use your own brain solve your own problema
How? Please explain. I don’t understand your argument but I’m interested in understanding what you are thinking more…….
Thankyou

Personally think we need direction from the NBU. I’m going to write to them to ask what the protocol should be. It really worries me that tonnes of beekeepers will be killing beneficial insects this spring especially if they’ve already bought the traps.

The Gardapis allows small bees and wasps to escape via the the Q excluder plastic screen used for the main body. V.c Queens theoretically shouldn't be able to access the V.v size entrance plug , Bumble queens also shouldn't be able to enter the small opening .

The two entrance plugs being 7mm and 8mm.

Whatever trap is used then one is going to need to monitor it daily to keep an eye on any possible by catch . The timings of using them and using the correct size entrance insert will need to be watched.

Last edited:
Personally think we need direction from the NBU. I’m going to write to them to ask what the protocol should be. It really worries me that tonnes of beekeepers will be killing beneficial insects this spring especially if they’ve already bought the traps.

I don't think we can rely on their direction, one only has to look at the 2ltr drink bottle trap they promoted . A damn site worse then the Gardapis design, the 2ltr bottle used a huge cap entrance of 22mm or more.

A real eye opener for me
You may well be right, I have made up a trap to try with a cone incorporating a 6.5mm holes at the point. I believe this is accessible for Vv but not Vc. The maximum outlet holes are 6mm which the guys in the Channel Islands say the Vv can’t traverse. I assumed someone must have attempted something similar.

The channnel did little to stop the mini invasion in to Kent/Sx last year.

I agree we can’t rely on our political leaders. The examples I saw at the conference show Galicia in Spain with E30m impact on fruit production due to the reduction in pollinators but a budget of E11m now needed to make an impact.

This is why the NBU in my opinion redirected resources this year . Like wasps there may be good years and bad years for Vv especially in the northern part of our countries.

We certainly do need to do our bit.

The problem is that there are so many actors with vested hidden interests it is difficult for ordinary folk to know what to do for the best and who ordinary folk can trust in this post truth world?

Take plastics as an example. Food and drinks manufacturers are using recycled plastics for food and drinks containers to save the planet. Good idea one might think. Not so because recycled plastics are contaminated with all manner of cancer causing agents to which we now turn a blind eye in the interests of going green. Virgin plastics are arguably chemically safer for the environment than heat stressed recycled plastics which are full of harmful polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons amongst other toxins.

Climate change is another example of how people are being conned by nefarious actors. The Earth is being suffocated over millenia by billions of calcareous animals that lock up carbon dioxide with calcium to form calcium carbonate skeletons ultimately forming massive chalk and limestone beds. These animals have reduced atmospheric CO2 levels from 6000 parts per million to 300 parts per million. At 150 parts per million plants die and without plants animal life also dies. How perverse it is then that to really save the planet we actually have to burn fossil fuels to regreen the planet to reverse desertification which is one of the principal factors influencing climate!

So what to do in the UK with regards to velutina?

Be patient. Be vigilant. Set up monitoring stations and trust the NBU and the work they do to manage outbreaks. Above all do not use traps to control velutina. This will only destroy indigenous vespine competition which will open the door to velutina. That's the abiding mistake that continental Europe has made in dealing with velutina.

If the NBU are overwhelmed there are other means of eradication which can be pursued but now is not the time.

Hello
In the early days of medicine i have heard, that in the UK a law was passed to ban research to find the cure for cancer. Only treatments allowed. So why ban something when you could be a person in a seat of opportunity to sell a treatment or service for the effects of this VespaV. Its happened in the last few years with other happenings regarding health etc. If there is a buck to steal cheat imbezzle corrupt thats all that matters. Not to say many who have love and good intensions to save UK wildlife are wrong just you cant trust the white shoe crowd not to do anything corrupt in the shadows.. peaple power is needed. The government cant even keep the roads etc sorted let alone Vespa V. The only saving grace for the UK is the weather and Channel.
Can you tell me what time period is meant by 'the early days of medicine' and state the law you cite, or a link to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back